Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Just picked up my old Atlas Shrugged book.....
Old 03-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just picked up my old Atlas Shrugged book.....

There are some eerie similarities between what's going on now and what Ayn Rand described when big government went amok in Atlas Shrugged.

Remember in the book the "Anti-Greed Act", which was to redistribute income (kind of like the new tax bill), and the "Equalization of Opportunity Act" to prevent people from starting more than one business to give others a better chance to make it. Or how about the ridiculously named "Anti Dog-Eat-Dog Act," that was supposed to stop cut-throat competition between firms and thus slow the wave of business bankruptcies.

I remember laughing at these titles when I first read the book years ago, but I'm not laughing so much any more. Now we have the $700 billion "Emergency Economic Stabilization Act" and the "Auto Industry Financing and Restructuring Act" and the "American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan" and the most recent "Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan".

Is it just me, or do these recent plans sound very similar?
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
There are some eerie similarities between what's going on now and what Ayn Rand described when big government went amok in Atlas Shrugged.

Remember in the book the "Anti-Greed Act", which was to redistribute income (kind of like the new tax bill), and the "Equalization of Opportunity Act" to prevent people from starting more than one business to give others a better chance to make it. Or how about the ridiculously named "Anti Dog-Eat-Dog Act," that was supposed to stop cut-throat competition between firms and thus slow the wave of business bankruptcies.

I remember laughing at these titles when I first read the book years ago, but I'm not laughing so much any more. Now we have the $700 billion "Emergency Economic Stabilization Act" and the "Auto Industry Financing and Restructuring Act" and the "American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan" and the most recent "Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan".

Is it just me, or do these recent plans sound very similar?
Welcome to the New World Order, citizen.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Who is John Galt? And how can we tax him?
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I have pondered this too and may just dig out my old copy from one of our many boxes of books in the basement. Perhaps we can reenact some of the major scenes from Atlas Shrugged here on the forum. After all, many of us have read the book and were influenced by it. I dibs the role of Dagny Taggert
Old 03-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Q: Is it an "easy" read? I'm just not much for long drawn out stuff, and I got scared when I saw it was 900 pages or something like that. But some stuff breaks down into small chunks.

I guess I'm kinda ADD, I take stuff in small portions - magazine articles, internet stuff, posts. Or should I just stick to the wiki summary?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
I don't have to find an old copy...
Old 03-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't have to find an old copy...

My DW gave it to me four weeks ago. I'm about 450 pages in (John Galt is yet to appear). It IS THE BOOK for our modern times.

Maybe Obama needs a little required reading. Atlas Shrugged may be too long. I have Ayn Rand's We thr Living on my shelf to send him. How about something REALLY short and simple, like the USConstition and the Bill of Rights. That's pretty simple reading for a busy super hero.

You would think that he had read that already?!>
Old 03-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Q: Is it an "easy" read? I'm just not much for long drawn out stuff, and I got scared when I saw it was 900 pages or something like that. But some stuff breaks down into small chunks.

I guess I'm kinda ADD, I take stuff in small portions - magazine articles, internet stuff, posts. Or should I just stick to the wiki summary?

-ERD50
It is fairly easy reading. A story takes place and along the way you see misguided government policies and the effect they have on the characters' actions. A good study in the law of unintended consequences.

It is long though.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I just got it on CD.
Read it years ago.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I dibs the role of Dagny Taggert
Looks like that part is taken.

Angelina Jolie has been confirmed to play the role of Dagny Taggart, and there are discussions with Russell Crowe to play the part of Hank Rearden.[27] Brad Pitt is rumored to be cast in a yet unspecified role. Both Jolie and Pitt are fans of Rand's works.[28] The role of the mysterious John Galt is likely to be played by an unknown.[27] Vadim Perelman (House of Sand and Fog) had been confirmed to direct,[29] but as of June 18, 2008 is no longer attached to the project.[30] Lions Gate Entertainment picked up worldwide distribution rights. The film was expected to be released in 2011.
newporttony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Q: I got scared when I saw it was 900 pages or something like that. \
No no no...... That's the stimulus package you're thinking of at 900 pages. And that should scare you!
Old 03-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougViages View Post
My DW gave it to me four weeks ago. I'm about 450 pages in (John Galt is yet to appear). It IS THE BOOK for our modern times.

Maybe Obama needs a little required reading. Atlas Shrugged may be too long. I have Ayn Rand's We thr Living on my shelf to send him. How about something REALLY short and simple, like the USConstition and the Bill of Rights. That's pretty simple reading for a busy super hero.

You would think that he had read that already?!>
Not to quibble, but I would imagine that a former president of the Harvard Law Review has read it. The Constitution, that is. Not sure about Atlas Shrugged...

Btw, John Galt used to post here...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to have a dorm mate (in college) who was a rabid Ayn Rand fan. He took things rather far, stating that he would prefer to see his own mother, etc., die of starvation and exposure before she received a penny of support from any source, especially including himself. With that level of self-righteous selfishness, he didn't remain a friend for long.

I have always loved dystopian novels (as a child, 1984 had the largest impact on me of any novel, then or now), and so I gave it a try. I felt sympathetic to a number of its themes, but I had no patience for its enormously self-indulgent, never-ending contemptuousness. Much later, I heard the classic critique: "This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force." I will say, however, that the title is just fantastic.

If you want an equally-preachy antidote to Rand, try The Grapes of Wrath.

Or, if you want to dive head-first into an even more sprawling and "difficult" novel, I am pleased to recommend what is perhaps the masterpiece of American literature: Moby Dick. Really. It takes some effort, but keep at it; it builds momentum until you find yourself unable to tear yourself away for feeling stunned at every magnificent sentence.
Grep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newporttony View Post
Looks like that part is taken.

Angelina Jolie has been confirmed to play the role of Dagny Taggart, and there are discussions with Russell Crowe to play the part of Hank Rearden.[27] Brad Pitt is rumored to be cast in a yet unspecified role. Both Jolie and Pitt are fans of Rand's works.[28] The role of the mysterious John Galt is likely to be played by an unknown.[27] Vadim Perelman (House of Sand and Fog) had been confirmed to direct,[29] but as of June 18, 2008 is no longer attached to the project.[30] Lions Gate Entertainment picked up worldwide distribution rights. The film was expected to be released in 2011.
Well I'm sure Angelina would do a much better job with the role of Dagny. After all, who could imagine a former government accountant in that part I would like to see Crowe as Hank Rearden and would think Brad Pitt might make a fine John Galt.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grep View Post
I used to have a dorm mate (in college) who was a rabid Ayn Rand fan. He took things rather far, stating that he would prefer to see his own mother, etc., die of starvation and exposure before she received a penny of support from any source, especially including himself. With that level of self-righteous selfishness, he didn't remain a friend for long.
Wow, I have studied Ayn Rand for decades and have absolutely no idea where he got that interpretation. Sounds like you just lived with a nut rather than an objectivist.
newporttony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grep View Post
If you want an equally-preachy antidote to Rand, try The Grapes of Wrath.

Or, if you want to dive head-first into an even more sprawling and "difficult" novel, I am pleased to recommend what is perhaps the masterpiece of American literature: Moby Dick. Really. It takes some effort, but keep at it; it builds momentum until you find yourself unable to tear yourself away for feeling stunned at every magnificent sentence.
Grep, you managed to mention two other books I admire very much. And you are right - quite a contrast to Atlas Shrugged. The point is, all three are fine novels and expand the mind and our perception of the world. That's what truly great works of literature do. By the way, I seem to recall W2R mentioning Moby Dick as one of her favorite novels some time ago.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Grep, you managed to mention two other books I admire very much. And you are right - quite a contrast to Atlas Shrugged.
Thanks. The Grapes of Wrath is truly amazing.

As an aside, I saw the movie after reading the book. Much of it was excellent. But when the curtain dropped, I was beside myself with disbelief and fury at its utterly-lame fade to black, as compared to the heart-breaking, cataclysmic and supremely touching final pages of the novel.
Grep is offline   Reply With Quote
Market's Shrugged
Old 03-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Market's Shrugged

"During the 1950s, Alan Greenspan was one of the members of Ayn Rand's inner circle, the Ayn Rand Collective , who read Atlas Shrugged while it was being written. Rand nicknamed Greenspan "the undertaker" because of his penchant for dark clothing and reserved demeanor."

I guess we can all thank Ayn Rand for the mess we are in today.

b.
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Atlas Shrugged is probably the most thought provoking book I've ever read. It really changed my views on many things.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

True freedom takes courage.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ummm,

When I was in high school, my circle of friends would gather at our friend Julia's house to "intellectualize". Atlas Shrugged was a book we spent much time admiring and discussing. Later, as a poor student living in a one room apartment, sharing one bathroom in a three story apartment house of one room apartments, and running out of food some weeks, I picked the book up again. It ended up in shreds on the floor after I stomped it to death. I declare my "age of reason" had occurred.

I have always, since then, considered the book to be for children who will eventually grow up to the real world.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote