Just transfered to Vanguard

nnkrealtor

Recycles dryer sheets
I just rolled over DW's old SEP IRA with American Funds (with 3 funds in it) to Vanguards Target Retirement 40 fund ... After reading all the good reviews about Vanguard here I just decided to pull the trigger. We'll see how it works out... I have my Roth with American funds as well... Might roll that over also if I like how DW's account functions.

IMHO American Funds are about the best of the load funds but I still prefer VG. The key will be whether the asset allocation of the target retirement fund suits you. As a single fund they are easy to use and hard to beat. Do a Rip Van Winkle and see how things work out in 10-20 years. Do not compare them every day; there lies madness.

Vanguard doesn't have the bells and whistles that some other investment firm's online services have. I transferred a few years ago from what was then TD Ameritrade. There are also a lot of restrictions on frequency of trades in their mutual fund accounts. Make sure you understand them so you don't get surprised when you try to make a trade. Eg. you can only make one trade on a mutual fund in a day. So if you want to exchange funds from one MF to two other funds, do it in one transaction or you'll have to wait a day for the second one. Minor stuff, but it is annoying when you get caught up in it.

But overall, I find it works for me. The benefits of Voyager or Flagship status are quite good. All the best.

Back
Top Bottom