Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
A few hundred dollars. Many thousands rounds of 45 ACP.
I can tell you are a traditionalist.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I can tell you are a traditionalist.
Well you know there's barter or shooting for fun. We have a few 1911s[emoji41]. One 10mm NIB never been fired.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #63

I keep some cash on hand and an assortment of small bills seems good. In my area "the big one" as in earthquake is the disaster we keep hearing is going to happen sometime. No guns or ammo at my house so I would have to purchase or trade for what I may need in an emergency.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well you know there's barter or shooting for fun. We have a few 1911s[emoji41]. One 10mm NIB never been fired.
+1 on the 1911's. I have 2 series 70's Gold Cups. Looks like they could both be NIB's, except I do shoot them from time to time. Pic's on request!
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #65

Golf winnings of 20-50 bucks, wife has bingo winnings of 300-500. Maybe I should start playing bingo instead of golf
Old 08-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
As I finding out, many in Florida own guns. Perhaps that is why everyone is nice to each other.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #67
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
+1 on the 1911's. I have 2 series 70's Gold Cups. Looks like they could both be NIB's, except I do shoot them from time to time. Pic's on request!
This is the one I have. https://www.m1911.org/prodte26.htm
Old 08-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

I keep $100-$150 on me (wallet) all the time just in case an emergency strikes (Taxi for example). At home, I try to keep $1K cash. It irks me if money is not working for me
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
This is the one I have. https://www.m1911.org/prodte26.htm
Cool, not Gold Cups but any series 70's are nice. There's nothing like the workmanship of Colt firearms back in the later 60's to early 70's. I do have two blued "original" series 70's in 38 Super made back in the early 70's too that look like the ones in your link. Excellent guns.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Cool, not Gold Cups but any series 70's are nice. There's nothing like the workmanship of Colt firearms back in the later 60's to early 70's. I do have two blued "original" series 70's in 38 Super made back in the early 70's too that look like the ones in your link. Excellent guns.
Oh! I really wanted to do a 38 Super when DW ordered her Wilson in 9mm. I'm glad she's happy with the 9, but having an extra barrel in 38 Super would have been fun.[emoji1]

Two Wilsons in our house and we really appreciate the work that goes into them. I've said before I think I could shoot rock from the barrel of the 45 one day and match the next. They just eat anything and hit where they tell you, every time.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #71

$2K now, behind electronic and manual locks along with the passports and deeds and titles. It had been $1K, but after getting a few percent cash discount for a couple of home improvement projects, I decided it might be good to be able to pay cash for slightly larger projects, in addition to keeping it around in case of emergencies and natural disasters. But lately I've dipped into it as a "life happens" fund, in order to pay for some unexpected expenses without pulling back on anything else (like saving for retirement) or selling off investments. I'll probably have it topped off again by the end of the year.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I have one of those toys too;

Les Baer Premier II
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rather not say here but enough to get out of town.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #74

Poker cash=$2,000-5,000.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh! I really wanted to do a 38 Super when DW ordered her Wilson in 9mm. I'm glad she's happy with the 9, but having an extra barrel in 38 Super would have been fun.[emoji1]
OK, all this talk about 45's and 38 supers made me pull mine out to "look" at them again. I don't think I've picked them up in 6 mos or so. Here's a pic taken ~5 mins ago. The 2 on top are early 1970's series 70 Gold Cups and the 2 on the bottom are series 70's 38 Supers.

Sorry, we seem to be a bit off topic,,, but.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0531 (2).jpg (498.6 KB, 61 views)
Old 08-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I have one of those toys too;

Les Baer Premier II
Nice. Les makes a great 1911.

We used to shoot next to a guy and we'd swap our Wilson for his Les. Nice weapon.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Anyone doing this for emergency spending would be wise to keep a mix of denominations so that you don't have to spend a whole $50 for a loaf of bread because the merchant has nothing smaller with which to return change.
Don't know about during an emergency, but I carry 50's and find they are very easy to change. Nearly every cashier has numerous 20's in the drawer, since they are rarely given in change.

(I would gladly take two twenties in change if that was the only way to get a loaf of bread during an emergency.)

Years ago I had a bit of a cashing problem since cashiers suspected 50's of being counterfeit, but now anything over a $5 is suspect anyway.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:19 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Anyone doing this for emergency spending would be wise to keep a mix of denominations so that you don't have to spend a whole $50 for a loaf of bread because the merchant has nothing smaller with which to return change.
My emergency cash is for the scenario where networks are down, but cash registers still have cash. This seems to be the more common bad weather scenario where power is off for a while, or maybe intermittent by networks are down, and some stores still open.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:39 AM   #79
gone traveling

My emergency cash is $1800 in nickels, no paper bills except for a couple of $2 bills, currently have a $1400 balance in my checking, the rest of my savings is in

Silver and platinum
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:37 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
What is king is a way to get out of the disaster area such as a fueled-up SUV and maybe a chainsaw.

Unless you want to stay in your home and take care of it. Not every crisis results in total destruction of the area that requires fleeing. Often times, it's very spotty but enough destruction to cause outages. As I worked to restore power in those areas I've used cash at numerous places that stayed open but didn't have electricity. Others here have had the same experience. Cash gives you options.......more options are always better than fewer option.
Retiredmajor is offline   Reply With Quote