Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Keeping things in perspective with the market
Old 02-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Keeping things in perspective with the market

Ignore the site where this article is posted, but the article itself is a good one to put in perspective the noise floating around, by Nick Murray. An accomplished publisher and financial advisor to the advisors, so his words give a balance to the rhetoric of late.
February 2008 Electronic Newsletter
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

He has a point about journalists. In fact, often it seems as though responsible journalism is a thing of the past.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great article. Pessimism sells. "Woe is me us, the sky is falling" is a media mantra, no matter what the subject, and especially when it comes to investments.

Thanks for the link and I have forwarded it to several "nervous" friends.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Nick Murray is one of my heroes, and a great speaker...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Heh, I love it:

"Think of it: this society is so rich that even its poorest members eat too much?"

I heard an interview with a market economist this week on Bloomberg radio and he said something that really struck me. Words to the effect that the debate over whether there will be a recession isparticularly pointless.

But, hey, I am being offered the opportunity to buy very high quality companies at valuations I will likely not see for another decade. The capital markets have lost their minds, and I am very happy to relieve the foolish of their quite attractively priced securities.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
He has a point about journalists. In fact, often it seems as though responsible journalism is a thing of the past.
All to true. Where is Bill Hearst now that we need'im.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

All TOO true, that is.
God, I'm getting even dumber than the culture around me
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #8

i still believe that there is a good chance we will see the SP500 hit 800 before this is all over and the way it's looking around 1225 by the middle of next month
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
i still believe that there is a good chance we will see the SP500 hit 800 before this is all over and the way it's looking around 1225 by the middle of next month
If you think theres a good chance then theres an inverse fund with your name on it
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:44 PM   #10

i'll be playing the sucker rallies on this one

the volume says it all. last 6 months it goes up on the falls and subsides on the rallies. this latest one was no different

until the volume subsides on the fall i'm staying out of the way
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
But, hey, I am being offered the opportunity to buy very high quality companies at valuations I will likely not see for another decade. The capital markets have lost their minds, and I am very happy to relieve the foolish of their quite attractively priced securities.
Heck yes Brew. Equities are so attractive even the Fed wants to get in on the bargain!!!

Come to papa.

Depression risk might force U.S. to buy assets | U.S. | Reuters
Old 02-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I couldn't have done a better job writing that piece. That is the most descriptive explanation of TV journalism that I have ever seenagreed with!
Thanks for posting that one. I'll definitely send it to some of my negative thinking friends.
TV is not our friend and exists only to sell advertising and will create a crisis if it can't find one out there somewhere.
Another pet peeve of mine is where these "journalists" instead of reporting the news have themselves "become the news" and it's all about them and not the news.
Rant over......back to chillin out...
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:31 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Journalists don’t write because they have something to say, they write because they have a deadline and otherwise will lose their job. The same is true for tv – just that they get paid more.

Because there is more competition for us as readers/viewers, they must work harder to 1) get our attention and 2) keep our attention.

Fear works. Actually, it’s called FUD ... Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. (just like politics). And like many fund managers, they won’t be fired for being wrong as long as everybody else is as well.

I’m beginning to think this current financial crisis is like last year’s hurricanes. It’s coming, it’s coming, gonna be a big one, everybody’s in grave danger, everybody take cover , run, RUN!...then a bit of a rain storm and then...change the subject on the news. (whew...what a close one)

Also reminds me of the Y2K thing.

It’s important not to let other people – especially media – think for you. Sift and filter, focus on facts, push aside opinions, ask questions, and judge for oneself.

Happy friday to all...Michael
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:29 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It’s important not to let other people – especially media – think for you. Sift and filter, focus on facts, push aside opinions, ask questions, and judge for oneself.
A more true statement I have never heard.... well said! Always distrust those who do not understand the difference between fact and opinion. Shun those who will not, or cannot answer you questions. And never be afraid to think for youself. Take control of your own life, or very soon someone else will take control of it for you.....
armor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #15

I don't see how "pessimism sells" any more than "optimism sells".. Didn't all the TV business channels spring up with the tech stock runup and the advent of cheap money? Now they have to fill those 24 hours with crud... more or less the same crud as before but using more red and less green. I never could watch those shows.

As far as the OP's article is concerned, I find it pretty superficial even from a layman's perspective. It matters little what the "technical description" of a recession is in GDP terms, as I think the GDP is more fudged and flaky than the official CPI (the defects of which have been discussed in depth elsewhere on the forum). We don't HAVE a "gross domestic product". We have a "gross domestic SOMEthing".. and that includes billions and billions "worth" of phantom value and transactions, in addition to war spending.

The current war is just throwing money down a hole -- utterly unlike WWII, for example, which created jobs (never had such full employment as then, plus brought women into the workforce) training, factories and infrastructure for materials distribution and processing, that was then useful in the post-war boom, all of which development was in turn taxed at way higher rates than today (for the top tier more than 2x), providing gov. revenue., and financed voluntarily through war bonds rather than involuntarily via deflation. The current craziness compounds when today's inflated GD-something is then used to justify even more tax cuts and even more war spending, since each of these are couched in rosy terms of "only" being x% of GD"P". At least that's my take on it.

But U.S.A. = #1, so move along folks, nuthin' to see.

The fact that the writer has not seen "anything like this in 40 years".. is likely because things like this haven't happened in 40 years. When have the majority of mortgages over the previous three years had "subprime" characteristics? When did muni bond interest reset to 10% and 20%? When did completely unrelated companies like Bristol-Myers "poof" just see 20% (for now!) of cash on hand evaporate? Sorry.. that kind of thing is news in my book: alarming news.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

yes, ladelfina...'ism' sells
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes I find news coverage very funny. A case in point: last night a company I own a chunk of reported particularly good earnings numbers, hiked their dividend 10%, and announced another stock buyback program that will retire about 15% of shares out in the next year or so. Not surprisingly, the stock was up a fair bit today. What was funny was the news coverage. Bloomberg usually has reasonably well-informed people putting out their news pieces on earnings, etc. But for this company, they only put out a piece that was 3 short paragraphs (even in the revision where they added to it). The writer obviously knew things were going well for the company, but didn't have a clue what a Bermuda catastrophe reinsurer is all about, so they basically couldn't think of anything to say about it.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote