Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2016, 11:43 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I use Quicken.

Each receipt is logged in Quicken, and each receipt is filed in a folder. One folder per month. At the end of the year, the receipts get boxed up and put in the closet for 7+ years.

I have had several warranty items over the years. Even if a purchase was made 5+ years ago, I can find it.
I've been looking at quicken for a while now. What quicken version would you recommend?

I see that the deluxe version is most popular according to Amazon and the Home and Business version has less than stellar review but it does separate business and personal transactions. Seems this would be a must have feature for small businesses. Any thoughts?

How much manual work is actually involved in quicken once all of your accounts are linked to it?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardatit View Post
I've been looking at quicken for a while now. What quicken version would you recommend?

How much manual work is actually involved in quicken once all of your accounts are linked to it?
I use Quicken Rental property Manager, but I only use the features of home and business I suspect. I need the ability to create invoices and track payments.

There is not too much manual work. About once a week I enter all my receipts into my Credit Card account. I manually reconcile the statement every month. I probably have 100+ receipts per month with the rental receipts.

If it's just for your`personal use, you can use a notepad. If you want to actually track expenses, you need something like Quicken.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardatit View Post
I'm in the same boat, most all of my sales are through paypal. Do you actually keep an inventory of all your parts and categorize your expenses monthly? Or do you just figure your inventory at the end of the year?
I just do a year-end inventory. While I could do monthly for inventory, no real need since a final year-end is easy enough and meets reqts. Same for monthly expenses and income, no need for this level of details. I just total it all up at year-end for the tax form. My volume and amount of money is close enough I can have a rough idea in my head, and since this is completely not any money I use for living, I just don't need an exact value - except for taxes

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:42 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I use Quicken Rental property Manager, but I only use the features of home and business I suspect. I need the ability to create invoices and track payments.

There is not too much manual work. About once a week I enter all my receipts into my Credit Card account. I manually reconcile the statement every month. I probably have 100+ receipts per month with the rental receipts.

If it's just for your`personal use, you can use a notepad. If you want to actually track expenses, you need something like Quicken.
That doesn't sound too bad, I shouldn't have near that many receipts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I just do a year-end inventory. While I could do monthly for inventory, no real need since a final year-end is easy enough and meets reqts. Same for monthly expenses and income, no need for this level of details. I just total it all up at year-end for the tax form. My volume and amount of money is close enough I can have a rough idea in my head, and since this is completely not any money I use for living, I just don't need an exact value - except for taxes
That makes sense. My side gigs are for extra spending and investing money now but in about 6 years I will partly depend on them for living along with my pension. I figured the earlier I start developing good habits to keep track of them the better.