Join Early Retirement Today

Keynesian Results - Explained
Old 05-20-2017, 07:03 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Keynesian Results - Explained

https://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/...de_link_108919

Quote:
How Long Can The Great Global Reflation Continue?
And what will happen when it ends?
by Charles Hugh Smith
Right or wrong, an explanation that I can understand, with some numbers that make sense to me. Nothing to be done or to be gained from reading the blog, but it helped me understand some of the why's of soaring debt, as well as the government actions that are taken to control the economy.

Your take on the conclusion may be different than mine, but at the very least, the actual numbers offer a look into the global economy as it exists today.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm not sure what explanation you see here.

There are some facts that I think we all knew.
- US Federal debt went up a lot following the collapse of house prices.
- Congress is planning to continue deficit spending even though we're at 4.4% unemployment.
- In the US, the rich are getting increasing shares of total income while real incomes in the middle are about flat.

I don't think he explains why middle incomes are flat while the rich get richer. Maybe you saw an explanation that I missed.

(AFAIK, Keynes did not recommend continuous deficit spending. That was a prescription limited to the topsy turvy world of depressions.)
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Your take on the conclusion may be different than mine, but at the very least, the actual numbers offer a look into the global economy as it exists today.
Thanks. The blog is (obviously) a bit polemic, but there's useful information there.

One thing overlooked is that Keynes argued for a recouping of stimulus funds once the economy had been "fixed" (i.e. no indefinite deficit spending). In the real world, that doesn't seem to happen--everyone enjoys the new, seemingly never-to-end party and nobody wants to pay the money that we owe for the liquor.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #4

Isn't Keynes in essence: force people to spend (via government) when demand is irrationally down, and force them to save when it is irrationally up?

Basically to break and dampen self-reinforcing cycles.

That general idea to me makes sense on the surface, in practice and detail it ain't that simple though. As a simple thought: assuming 'all the people' (government) can behave more rational than individuals is a bit naive.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Isn't Keynes in essence: force people to spend (via government) when demand is irrationally down, and force them to save when it is irrationally up?

Basically to break and dampen self-reinforcing cycles.

That general idea to me makes sense on the surface, in practice and detail it ain't that simple though. As a simple thought: assuming 'all the people' (government) can behave more rational than individuals is a bit naive.
NOt doing it A) was not any better and B) much worse due to it's own inherent characteristics of non-workability No thought experiments needed . Just recognizing the bloomin' obvious

The real answer is no system is perfect. The only question is: So just exactly how do you want the system to work? and get as close as feasible
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm no economist and I don't claim any special insight. With that in mind, my thoughts on:

Flat middle class: In all the travail of various markets (housing, bonds, stock market, etc.) we may lose sight of the fact that there is simply less need for the kinds of tasks that the middle class historically perform. Materials handling -everything is containerized and machines do all the heavy lifting at j*b sites. Manufacturing - Many of those j*bs have gone to places where folks will gladly w*rk for a tenth of what w*rkers in the US demand. Service industry - immigrants have taken a number of j*bs which traditionally were filled by the middle class - Son used to be reasonably well paid as a cook in an upscale "chain" restaurant. He wanted to move into wait staff as it paid even better, based on tips. Recent trip to "his" restaurant indicated that virtually all kitchen staff was filled with immigrants and significant portion of wait staff is now immigrant.

I imply no "good or bad" but just what I have seen. If what I have seen and observed in the news, etc. is correct, supply and demand would dictate that the middle class must, of necessity shrink. A "world" economy begins to share the j*bs once "guaranteed" to our middle class among a world where labor is much less expensive.

If any of this sounds "political", it is not intended as such. My point is that with all of our ability to manipulate markets, currency, deficits, inflation, interest rates, etc. etc., NO government can cancel the law of supply and demand. On the margins, governments can fiddle with stuff, but human's always find ways around every policy eventually and default to self interest. Whether that leads to gray markets, black markets, off-the-books, etc., people always find their way back to a "free market" of labor and products. Right now, that's not good news for the middle class IMO.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who disagree with my treatise but I believe "you can't fool mother nature." Naturally, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #7

The middle class is indeed shrinking. However the data I've seen show that more people are moving upward (from middle class to upper middle class) than are moving downward (from middle class to lower middle class).
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
The middle class is indeed shrinking. However the data I've seen show that more people are moving upward (from middle class to upper middle class) than are moving downward (from middle class to lower middle class).
I would be very interested in seeing such data. From my experience (strictly anecdotal, therefore) I would have said that the opposite is true, but I have no data. Please share your findings. I very much hope you are correct.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I would be very interested in seeing such data. From my experience (strictly anecdotal, therefore) I would have said that the opposite is true, but I have no data. Please share your findings. I very much hope you are correct.
The data on Hans Rosling's site may be interesting to you.
Gapminder: Unveiling the beauty of statistics for a fact based world view.

There is a lot if information, and it's fun to explore the charts. You might want to try the "Wealth and Health of Nations" section.

Many of Dr. Rosling's talks are also available on YouTube.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote