Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I gotta write that our two kids have really had no impact on our early retirement. I've never understood any of the posts about kids being expensive or a detriment to early retirement.

First, we both worked and were able to sock away lots of money from the get go. Second, we had our kids when we were in our late 30s, so our pattern of LBYM was well-set before kids and we kept on that path after kids. Third, our kids will not be in college at the same time.
No impact? At all? I love my kids dearly, and have no plans to try to exchange them at the local big box store, but those buggers are currently accounting for 27% of our spending (they're our biggest expense category). Factor in the fact that if not for them we could downsize to a smaller home with no regard for school districts, etc., and there's no doubt in my mind that we could probably ER a full 10 years sooner if not for the kids.

I'm not complaining. We're very happy and comfortable with the lifestyle choices we've made, but there's no doubt that we're paying a price for those choices. You may not MIND the financial impact your kids have had, but there has certainly been one, whether you choose to recognize it or not.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Come on. Kids, child birth, open box, the joke is right there!

Don't go to best buy, their return policy sucks. You should always buy your kids at costco.
Mother sometimes threatened to 'send us back'

Old 08-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
No impact? At all?
I puzzle over statements of "no impact" too. How could children have no impact on expenses? Everything they do costs money. Even their pooping costs money. Those Pampers are not given away free, once you have used that first complimentary pack .

Even John Galt who was infamous for making absurd claims never tried that one.

Ha
Old 08-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I puzzle over statements of "no impact" too. How could children have no impact on expenses? Everything they do costs money. Even their pooping costs money. Those Pampers are not given away free, once you have used that first complimentary pack .

Even John Galt who was infamous for making absurd claims never tried that one.

Ha
Who is John Galt?

Was he the guy who predicted the dotcom crash and the real estate crash? 8)
Old 08-05-2008, 12:49 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

I would say the cost is less than some people think - for one we have less opportunity to spend money. Instead of fine dining on Friday night, we are eating mac and cheese. Instead of the theatre, we go to the park. Instead of a weekend in Palm Springs, it's camping in our future!

But if your lifestyle is already super LBYM then I think a significant rise in costs is inevitable.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
Who is John Galt?

Was he the guy who predicted the dotcom crash and the real estate crash? 8)
An old poster here, who was famous for his hogwash, and oh yeah, the guy from the Ayn Rand novel Atlas Shrugged.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
I'm just going to say that finances never entered the equation on the number of kids to have. I have hopes of being the cool grandpa who has plenty of time to hang out, take them camping, teach to fish, read 4 pillars of investing out loud...

i was wonder why don't you have an additional of 3,4 or 5 more kids if finance never entered the equation. i was hoping to have six children until i get the diapers and day care bills.

enuff
Old 08-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
i was wonder why don't you have an additional of 3,4 or 5 more kids if finance never entered the equation. i was hoping to have six children until i get the diapers and day care bills.
Why on earth would *anyone* want 6 kids? Seriously, unless you're running a farm and need the slave free labor, there wouldn't seem to be enough time or attention to go around (never mind the financial implications).
Old 08-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Hey, what if you had six really, really good names and couldnt decide?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Why on earth would *anyone* want 6 kids? Seriously, unless you're running a farm and need the slave free labor, there wouldn't seem to be enough time or attention to go around (never mind the financial implications).

Here is a man with seven kids. Yes, may be he got a farm but he did it because he can and for an average American, i know it's like commiting suicide.

Mel Gibson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No impact? At all? I....
I wrote "no impact on early retirement", not "no impact on life". Remember the subject of this thread is "kids vs retirement" and not "kids vs saving every penny and dime you have".

Aren't there some folks around here who retired early and THEN decided to have kids?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I gotta write that our two kids have really had no impact on our early retirement. I've never understood any of the posts about kids being expensive or a detriment to early retirement.

First, we both worked and were able to sock away lots of money from the get go. Second, we had our kids when we were in our late 30s, so our pattern of LBYM was well-set before kids and we kept on that path after kids. Third, our kids will not be in college at the same time.
I second this comment. We added a "kids" section to the budget and this should decrease over time-

covers diapers and formula now
will cover education expenses later
will cover increased groceries later

401k did not drop
Roth IRA contributions have increases since they were born
future raises will go to max out the 401ks and pay down the mortgage.

I am 35, wife is 34. probable FIRE date is either age 53 (HS completed) or 57 (college completed).
Old 08-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #53

Quote:
I wrote "no impact on early retirement", not "no impact on life". Remember the subject of this thread is "kids vs retirement" and not "kids vs saving every penny and dime you have".
Yeah, but in the very next sentence you wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
I've never understood any of the posts about kids being expensive or a detriment to early retirement.
My own experience has shown me that kids ARE expensive, and ARE an impediment to ER. I don't know what your situation is, but if DW and I had decided to ER based on a 4% SWR, and then had kids, we'd either be cutting way back on discretionary spending, or going back to work. Either way, there is a cost.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Hey, what if you had six really, really good names and couldnt decide?
Or just one name that's so good it'd be a shame to only use it once. After you use it on all your kids, you can start putting it on household appliances.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post

enuff
Time, time to spend with each one and feel like I'm doing a good job/being a responsible parent. I guess you could say money indirectly factored into the equation since if we both didn't have to work and could stay home full time we could have more than three, but originally we planned on 4 and decided 3 instead for reasons other than money.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #56

I had a child at age 19, lived in single motherhood and poverty throughout college and graduate school, but wouldn't change any of it. Then I married again and had two children. The first was born premature and had health problems which made it impossible for me to go back to work. Then my daughter was born and child care would have been too expensive. So I only worked part time while they were growing up.

Did I give up financial gain for my children? Yes. But it was totally worth it. That said, if my ex and I didn't have family weath coming, I don't think I would have had my daughter. I would have been too nervous about the financial side. That would have been really a sad decision.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

We have 2 (adults now), and we wish we'd had 3 or 4. They are expensive, time-consuming, and worth every penny and every minute. We live about two hours drive from each of them, and would instantly move away from the crummy weather + dull scenery + high cost of living of northern Illinois; except that they are now friends as well as children.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
My wife and I don't have kids and don't plan on having any. My 15 year old niece is spending the summer with us (not my idea!) and after this experience I am more convinced than ever that I do not want kids. Goodness, I have a new found respect for her parents and their ability not to lose it. Maybe it's her "goth" style, maybe it's the loud "metal" music all day, maybe it's her having an opinion on everything (especially if she knows she can pi$$ me off), I don't know, it makes me want to get a vasectomy.
It's too late for therapy, but FWIW you were dropped into a pot of boiling water.

Most parents start out in a nice lukewarm tub and have at least 15 years to raise the temperature. During that time they develop amazing reserves of temperament, patience, and stamina.

You also had no leverage. She would've been much more accomodating if she'd needed your signature for her driving learner's permit.

The good news is that if you'd killed her, every judge in the land (the ones who are parents, anyway) would declare it justifiable homicide.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #59

Quote:
what's the suggested number of kids to have?
Everyone has to answer this for themselves. Your finances will depend on your answer, but I hope your answer doesn't depend on your finances. For me, the answer was a large number, but for DW (now ex) the answer was a small number. And we negotiated until we ended up with 2 and mostly ran out of time for more. It was not a decision based on our finances and (except in case of real poverty) I hope it would never be a financial choice. Not to say it doesn't affect finances - it does - but hopefully as an effect, not a cause.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Everyone has to answer this for themselves. Your finances will depend on your answer, but I hope your answer doesn't depend on your finances. For me, the answer was a large number, but for DW (now ex) the answer was a small number. And we negotiated until we ended up with 2 and mostly ran out of time for more. It was not a decision based on our finances and (except in case of real poverty) I hope it would never be a financial choice. Not to say it doesn't affect finances - it does - but hopefully as an effect, not a cause.

sorry for disappointing but my answer does totally based on finance. Like i mentioned earlier if money wasn't an issue, i would like half a dozen of kids... my mom had 8, now that's what i meant about "money never entered the equation", lucky for us both mom and dad were a little better off than an average family so we didn't have to fight for food while growing up.

enuff