Kink in the Old Retirement Plan

I was in a similar situation, where the job was advertised and all internal candidates were encouraged to apply, but told there would be an external search anyway. As it turned out, there was an internal candidate who was favored to get the job, and in the first six months he made sure to get rid of all the other internal candidates who wanted his post. Your company politics may vary, but things aren't always obvious.

In an earlier job, I went through something similar too, so I chose not to apply. I'm sure if I applied, I'd have been out quickly too. The person selected did nothing but play politics, taking credit for everything good and passing down blame for anything bad. I ended up leaving after a year anyway.

Well, just to give everyone an update, I did apply for my boss's position, had a good interview, but they gave it to someone else. If I had to guess, age played a part in the decision. It now looks good for an earlier retirement in middle of 2013 versus the end.

Well, just to give everyone an update, I did apply for my boss's position, had a good interview, but they gave it to someone else. If I had to guess, age played a part in the decision. It now looks good for an earlier retirement in middle of 2013 versus the end.

I'm sure it will be a blessing in disguise.

Of course, you might love the new boss, too. Getting paid more but handling all of the stress you don't want. :D

Thanks for the update. Hope you have steady sailing 'til then.

Had I known this before I applied, I wouldn't wouldn't have applied. The person hired was recently hired into another position. Apparently he worked in the same position as my boss for a short period in another city. Timing suggests this was a predetermined decision and they had to scramble because they didn't expect me to apply.

Well, I'm planning on keeping head down and doing my job. If things get bad, I can retire in just over a year, but I think I'll try to retire according to my original schedule. No need to let them ruin a perfectly good plan. ;)

Back
Top Bottom