Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Update. Over the weekend, there was an ad in the paper for my boss's job. No one mentioned it to me before hand. Do you think this is an indication of where I stand?

For comparison, all lower level jobs are advertised. Higher level positions have been promoted from within, advertised or had a preselected person fill it. So, this leaves me in a quandary. At minimum, I feel I deserved the courtesy of being informed of what was being done. I'm sure it I bring it up, they'll have some lame excuse.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Answer the Ad in the paper and you'll find out quick.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Probably. But while I can understand your feelings of being slighted, post #11 in this thread may make you feel better.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Update. Over the weekend, there was an ad in the paper for my boss's job. No one mentioned it to me before hand. Do you think this is an indication of where I stand?
I had something similar happen, only it was my current job being advertised in the WSJ. It was a bit disconcerting until I confronted my boss about it and learned they were looking for a replacement so I could be promoted. Would've saved me a bunch of grief had they told me in advance.

I agree with 73, answer the ad.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #25

Quote:
It sounded like you didn't want it so why do you care? You know that there is enough going on to precipitate two levels of your management to leave suddenly. I'd be more interested in having conversations with them (individually) congratulating them on their retirement and finding out what the hell it means. They could both be coincidences but I doubt it.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I had something similar happen, only it was my current job being advertised in the WSJ. It was a bit disconcerting until I confronted my boss about it and learned they were looking for a replacement so I could be promoted. Would've saved me a bunch of grief had they told me in advance. ....
Ouch!!! Did they apologize?
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Ouch!!! Did they apologize?
Not really. I suppose they thought telling me I was being promoted offset any concerns I had, but it certainly left a lasting memory...
Old 05-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Answer the Ad in the paper and you'll find out quick.
I'm contemplating it.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
It sounded like you didn't want it so why do you care? You know that there is enough going on to precipitate two levels of your management to leave suddenly. I'd be more interested in having conversations with them (individually) congratulating them on their retirement and finding out what the hell it means. They could both be coincidences but I doubt it.
True, but given enough pay, I'd grind through it for a couple of years.

I have had conversations with both. Retirement would come up in about half of the meetings with both of them. My boss's boss was known to be retiring sometime this year. It was just a matter of him setting the date. My boss basically said she was burnt out and no longer enjoyed the work. I get the feeling she may have not wanted to deal with the new supervisor. So, nothing really sinister going on.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Probably. But while I can understand your feelings of being slighted, post #11 in this thread may make you feel better.
It does. My wife was more upset about it than I was, mainly because she thought I'd be upset. And knowing we can survive my "retiring" 4-6 months earlier won't hurt us, makes me feel better too.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #31

Quote:
True, but given enough pay, I'd grind through it for a couple of years.

Maybe you'll get lucky and not get the job, then you can retire and enjoy yourself. You know the old saying "don't wish for something, you may get it".
Old 05-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Update. Over the weekend, there was an ad in the paper for my boss's job. No one mentioned it to me before hand. Do you think this is an indication of where I?
Your earlier emails almost sounded like you didn't want the job, but what exactly have you told them about your interest or lack thereof re: the job? I have to assume it's come up in performance appraisals or similar discussions.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Your earlier emails almost sounded like you didn't want the job, but what exactly have you told them about your interest or lack thereof re: the job? I have to assume it's come up in performance appraisals or similar discussions.
For what it entails, I'd prefer my boss to stay on for another year and then I'd help with the transition to a new one. I also want to avoid getting Attila the Hun for a boss, and being promoted would stop that.

Nothing has been discussed about career advancement for years. There is very little movement at top levels here. We're just seeing the start of the Baby Boomer retirement. They do know I'm planning on retiring in a couple of years, but no date has been mentioned.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Maybe you'll get lucky and not get the job, then you can retire and enjoy yourself. You know the old saying "don't wish for something, you may get it".
Or I do get offered it, but refuse it because it doesn't pay enough. That could be either good or bad for my remaining years.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I was in a similar postion two years ago. I did not apply for my bosses job as I knew that I would not get it and I was not willing to relocate.

The silver lining was that within six months the company, and my new boss decided to eliminate a level of management. I fell into a very nice golden handshake that allowed me to retire earlier than I had previously planned. I no longer enjoyed my job or MegaCorp.

So, stick around, keep your ear to the ground, and hope for some kind of goldern handshake or termination agreement.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck

For what it entails, I'd prefer my boss to stay on for another year and then I'd help with the transition to a new one. I also want to avoid getting Attila the Hun for a boss, and being promoted would stop that.

Nothing has been discussed about career advancement for years. There is very little movement at top levels here. We're just seeing the start of the Baby Boomer retirement. They do know I'm planning on retiring in a couple of years, but no date has been mentioned.
If I was the person doing the hiring and I knew you would be gone in a couple of years I would be inclined to look elsewhere. I would not be surprised by the ad at all if I were you.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #37

Quote:
Or I do get offered it, but refuse it because it doesn't pay enough. That could be either good or bad for my remaining years.
Since you can leave anytime you're in a powerful position... I'd go with the "How about I don't take that job, but you increase my pay to what it would be if I did... otherwise I'm out"

talk about the best of both worlds
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
If I was the person doing the hiring and I knew you would be gone in a couple of years I would be inclined to look elsewhere. I would not be surprised by the ad at all if I were you.
If that was the plan (and it could well be), I'd have the courtesy to let any and all potential internal candidates know before looking outside and posting an ad regardless of any career discussions we may have had. And I've actually done exactly that several times. What's the downside of treating co-workers at any level with some decency and transparency?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If that was the plan (and it could well be), I'd have the courtesy to let any and all potential internal candidates know before looking outside and posting an ad regardless of any career discussions we may have had. And I've actually done exactly that several times. What's the downside of treating co-workers at any level with some decency and transparency?
Thanks Midpack. That's exactly my feelings. While I really wasn't surprised about the ad, they would look better had they informed everyone what was happening, especially since they tout promotion from within.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #40

Quote:
Thanks Midpack. That's exactly my feelings. While I really wasn't surprised about the ad, they would look better had they informed everyone what was happening, especially since they tout promotion from within.
Just because they are running an ad doesn't mean that they won't fill it internally. They may just want to see what is available from the outside. If a superstar shows up, they would go with them. If they aren't overwhelmed, you may still get a visit.

You didn't say anywhere that I saw about how old you are. If you are too close to "normal" retirement age, they may take a pass on you because they want someone that can "grow" with the organization. If you're 63 they are pretty sure that you won't still be around to go two or three levels above your boss' level. They won't put it that way but age discrimination is alive and well. From a corporate succession planning point, I can't say that it isn't all bad either.