Join Early Retirement Today

Kiyosaki
Old 06-28-2006, 05:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Kiyosaki

he's at it again!*(Tuesday, June 27, 2006)
1) "A vast number of people think that investing for the long term in a diversified portfolio of mutual funds is the smart thing to do. In my opinion, this ranks among the worst possible investments."
2) "Most index funds think a 10 percent to 25 percent return is a good rate. Active investors can regularly beat those gains, especially if they stay away from traditional investments such as savings, stocks, bonds, and index and mutual funds"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Kiyosaki
Old 06-28-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hell yes mutual funds are poor investments if you're fleecing the American public with your seminars and books! He's about as worthless as tits on a boar.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:07 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I've seen this kind of thing before. Sometimes you can make good estimates of just how much money was made on the big bestseller book -- and sometimes it's not that much money.

The author has to scramble to make hay while the making is good and his name does not fade. Sequels help, but there is an end to that revenue. There's an end to all that stuff and the mighty do fall.

Case in point, have a look at the below website and see if you notice any evidence that advertisers lined up to be seen there.

http://www.granvilleletter.com/Joe/

Old 06-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

That picture of Granville on the website: He sure does look good for being almost 82

But seriously, I know I'm having too many "senior moments" at 58. I sure don't think I want to trust my financial future to someone old enough to be my father!!!!!!!!!

Professor
Old 06-28-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
he's at it again!*(Tuesday, June 27, 2006)
I think that he & JG have decided that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Besides, there are very few hucksters out there who are consistently right or consistently wrong. The nice thing about Kiyosaki is that he's so predictably wrong with his pleas for attention...

I wonder how much of his fortune he's giving to Bill Gates' foundation.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, technically you can warp your mind and make his statements correct:

1. Mutual funds are the worst investment. Well, between low cost index funds and regular mutual funds, that's true, mutual funds are the worst investment.

2. Investors can beat 10-25% regularly by staying away from traditional investments. Well, true, you can beat 25% regularly if you start up a small business, work your butt off and don't count your labor as a cost of doing business.

The guy is such a con man. How he could assert that the funds get 80% of your gains (yes, I saw his "math") with a straight face is beyond me.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

You guys should really visit his Forum. Hilarious stuff. I read one post where one of Kiyosaki's followers was going to retire on 200K and live off of the 20% interest he could easily earn. Barnum was right - a new sucker is born everyday.

http://forum.richdad.com/forums/
Old 06-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
You guys should really visit his Forum. Hilarious stuff. I read one post where one of Kiyosaki's followers was going to retire on 200K and live off of the 20% interest he could easily earn. Barnum was right - a new sucker is born everyday.

http://forum.richdad.com/forums/
Wow. Check out the testimonials section. The forum moderators screen for content before clearing testimonial posts for public viewing. Reading through the forums, it seems like every one of their members is a "network marketer". I guess they all get "rich*" by selling each other pyramid schemes.

Thank goodness I was able to recognize Kiyosaki for what he is after only one book.

*not rich by most objective standards or the standards of this board

Old 06-28-2006, 01:30 PM   #9

"It isn't that I don't want to invest, it's just that I invest without these plans [mutual funds through a 401k plan] and I generate 20% every 2 weeks or so."

It's a wonder why this guy doesn't own the ENTIRE WORLD by now!!!

Old 06-28-2006, 01:34 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All I needed to make me hate that shyster was his bad mouthing of his father.

F*ck him and the horse he rode in on.

Ha
Old 06-28-2006, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus
"It isn't that I don't want to invest, it's just that I invest without these plans [mutual funds through a 401k plan] and I generate 20% every 2 weeks or so."

It's a wonder why this guy doesn't own the ENTIRE WORLD by now!!!

he doesn't??
Old 06-28-2006, 03:55 PM   #12

I saw this thief on Public TV, of all places a few years ago. Took me about 5 minutes to recognize him as the con-man he is.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:18 PM   #13

An acquaintance just attended a free 3 day intensive at:

www.millionairemind.com

and gushed about how everyone should go. He couldn't stop talking about how motivating it was to get to a place where money wasn't an issue. But when I asked him what was the one takeaway idea he learned, he just said it was really motivating.

That seems to be the Kiyosaki approach as well: Get people psyched up to make progress with money, but don't give any good advice about what to actually do. People feel the excitement and confuse it with progress.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:06 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Kiyosaki is getting coverage on an unusual website....he is under scrutiny on the Rick Ross Cult News website at

http://www.rickross.com/

It seems that Rick Ross detects some odd "cult-like" mentality from the Big "K". I didn't know what to think about him until I read some of the crap that he believes and how he contradicts himself all the time.

example "I don't own any stocks!"

and "Of course stocks are part of my portfolio".

What a lying jerk.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:46 PM   #15

Quote:
I guess they all get "rich*" by selling each other pyramid schemes.
I think that would be cannibalismů.better to find some fresh meat.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:29 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky
example "I don't own any stocks!"

and* * * * "Of course stocks are part of my portfolio".
Whether the market has gone up or down in the previous thirty days determines whether he owned stocks during that period. :P

If turnip futures are up next month, he'll be talking about how he moved everything he had into turnip futures right before it happened.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator
Whether the market has gone up or down in the previous thirty days determines whether he owned stocks during that period. :P

If turnip futures are up next month, he'll be talking about how he moved everything he had into turnip futures right before it happened.
I know that he invested heavily in 'gas' - the kind that the human body produces. It's a real 'bull' market.....
Old 06-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I remember seeing an episode of "Family Guy" that contained an infomercial with who I thought was Kiyosaki. Two sexy babes were standing on either side of him, a red sports car and McMansion in the background. He was yelling at the viewer:
  • "How come you stupid, I'm not"
  • "How come I'm rich, you not"
  • "How come I sleep with your wife, you stay home alone"
  • "Buy my book stupid"
Pretty accurate portrayal of the guy.
&quot;The one who creates does not wait for an opportunity, blaming circumstances, the fates, and the gods.&nbsp; He seizes opportunities or creates them with the magic wand of his will, effort, and searching discrimination&quot;<br />-Yogananda
veritasophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritasophia
  • "How come you stupid, I'm not"
  • "How come I'm rich, you not"
  • "How come I sleep with your wife, you stay home alone"
  • "Buy my book stupid"
Pretty accurate portrayal of the guy.
Except you'd have to learn that from reading one or more 200 page books (at $15.95 each).
Old 06-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

That infomercial was from King of the Hill, not Family Guy. I hate to admit I saw that episode but there are worse things in life.