Join Early Retirement Today

kiyosaki has reached new low - unbelievable
Old 05-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Now the genius is comparing lottery tickets to mutual funds, and implying the lottery is a better deal.

what a total moron.

How about someone write book, "Smart advisor, Idiot advisor". Unlike kiyosaki's mythical 'rich dad', the 'idiot advisor' will be clearly identifiable as kiyosaki.

Ugh.

runchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: kiyosaki has reached new low - unbelievable
Old 05-01-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

I just saw his article on Yahoo myself. Judging from its rating, it appears the majority of the readers agree he's full of ca ca. I'm dying to know what investment he thinks has a big payoff with less risk than mutual funds.

http://finance.yahoo.com/expert/arti...chricher/30687
4EAXFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Ok, someone's going to have to show me how to post a link without it looking so retarded. How do you make the link text something different from the URL itself?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EAXFM
I just saw his article on Yahoo myself. Judging from its rating, it appears the majority of the readers agree he's full of ca ca. I'm dying to know what investment he thinks has a big payoff with less risk than mutual funds.

He wants us to invest in him!!! NOT with my dime!!! How do you spell idiot KIYOSAKI

When the H*** will the investing rags stop publishing his crap? They lose credibility with the drivel he spouts.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Like that book him and Donald wrote? :
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EAXFM

Idiot Kiyosaki

use the quote function to look at my post and you will figure out what I did; Simply after ] in the url function add the text you want
Old 05-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Much obliged, lswswein!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Further proof that I would be a LOT richer if I was totally clueless but had a GREAT PR person..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:26 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by runchman
Every time I think he can't go lower he exceeds my expectations.

He's also living proof of the aphorism that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie
He wants us to invest in him!!! NOT with my dime!!! How do you spell idiot KIYOSAKI
He writes:

"If you really want to retire, look at other investments and work with someone who's willing to put in the time to help you retire soon and retire rich..."

He left out a word:

"If you really want to retire, look at other investments and work with someone who's willing to put in the time to help you retire soon and him retire rich..."
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #11

Wow. What a crazy article. He is doing real damage to those poor souls who listen to him.

In a sense, he is correct: an individual investor has no control over the ups and downs of the stock market, or the individual stock picks of the fund manager. But history shows that over the long-term, 'gambling' on the equity mutual funds has an infinitely better chance of success than playing lotteries.

I found the following statement (which appears to be the only 'evidence' offered in support of his claim that "mutual funds [are] a government-sponsored program that you have little chance of winning") very difficult to believe:

"I once heard a radio interviewer ask a representative of a large mutual fund about the fund's performance. The rep said it had risen in value by an average of 20 percent per year for the prior two years. But when the interviewer asked about the average return to the average investor in the fund, the representative responded that the average investor had actually lost 2 percent per year."

Point One: it strikes me as nearly impossible that when a particular mutual fund is returning 20% per year, the average investor in that fund is earning negative 2%;

Point Two: if the average investor was losing money in the fund, the fund's representative almost certainly would not volunteer that information, especially on public radio.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #12

Quote:
kiyosaki has reached new low
my initial reaction to the subject heading was: not possible. but after reading the "article" i must admit that i was wrong. indeed, a new low.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton

Point One: it strikes me as nearly impossible that when a particular mutual fund is returning 20% per year, the average investor in that fund is earning negative 2%;
That seems a bit extreme, but remember the bubble years and the internet funds? Few bought at the beginning and most bought chasing returns. I can believe that the fund reflected a 20% annual return but investors who jumped in after the fund had most of its gains probably wound up losing.

Doesn't support his point of not investing in funds, only supports a well allocated long term portfolio.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton

...it strikes me as nearly impossible that when a particular mutual fund is returning 20% per year, the average investor in that fund is earning negative 2%;
Soon is correct.

Although I loathe to think this will be interpreted as coming to the defense of that worthless piece of pond scum, I do think he has a grain of truth behind his statement. [Edit: Hey, I'm speaking of K here, not Soon. ]

I could not find the source, but a while back there was a study that showed something similar to what he reports. While over a two year period a fund may show a total gain of 20%, that gain was not linear. In all the ups and downs during that period, the natural tendency of the average investor to chase performance, buy high and sell low, results in much worse performance than that of the fund itself. I'm not sure it was as bad as K reports, but it is significantly worse than you might expect.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Clearly the fastest least riskiest way to riches is via Multi Level Marketing scams. schemes. :
Old 05-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Edit: Hey, I'm speaking of K here, not Soon. ]
Thanks REW, that distinction has not always been made for me :-)

Here is the actual data, which exposes what a biased lying POS that guy is (K, not you)

http://www.kiplinger.com/columns/val...006/va1030.htm

"In one set of data, Morningstar divided up funds by volatility. In the one-fourth of funds that were the most volatile, investors earned an annualized 5.3% over the past ten years, while the funds themselves returned 8.1% annualized (all returns in this article are for the ten years that ended September 30). That's leaving a lot of money on the table. But in the one-fourth of funds that were the least volatile, investors and the funds returned exactly the same amount: 8.9%."
Old 05-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I also love how he opens the article giving a CPA the "credit", to give his thoughts more weight:

Quote:
According to Tom, and contrary to popular belief, none of these are wise investments. So here, in his own words, are his thoughts on the subject.
Olav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire
Here is the actual data, which exposes what a biased lying POS that guy is (K, not you)
Ah, but that's only half the data required ... I bet the historic returns from lotteries are much more impressive! :P
Old 05-01-2007, 03:45 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I could not find the source, but a while back there was a study that showed something similar to what he reports.
Isn't he referring to the Dalbar study?

The 2003 version seems a little closer to Kiyosaki's numbers.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:46 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, the average mutual fund has expenses over 1.5%, frequently has hefty commissions front, back, and sideways, large turnovers, loaded directors, advisors, and managers. Fees get heavier with size at the same time performance suffers due to size. Worse than the lottery is an exaggeration, but there are a lot of bad ones out there which conveniently disappear once their record becomes too bad and are folded into a better performing fund. Read Arthur Levinson or David Swensen for the pitfalls all too present among many.
aenlighten is offline   Reply With Quote