Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do 95% of my shopping online now. Can't stand the brick and mortar stores anymore, especially when they're full of crazy-eyed shoppers. Nothing better than sitting back with my coffee online (hey I'm doing that right now!), thinking about the crowds I'm avoiding, buying just what I need and having someone deliver it to my door. On thanksgiving, I plan to sleep in (maybe just a half hour) and then roll out of bed to begin putting the day's Thanksgiving feast together. I hope to be on my second Bloody Mary by the time the neighbors get back from Kmart.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #22

We won't be anywhere near Kmart or any other retailer on a holiday. What little holiday shopping we do is for DW's grandnieces and she does almost all of that online.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
About four years ago my extended family made a pact - no more Christmas presents for the adults, just for kids. There are two kids in the extended family - one 6 years old and one 13 years old, and they receive a small number of presents. Very low key Thanksgiving and Christmas, and no shoppy frenzy involved. Best decision we ever made. It's not as if ANY of the adults need any more "stuff" in our lives at all.
We have been doing this for many years and it works well for our families.

However, we love the holidays and look forward to them every year. Like decorating and even going out is some of the crowds.

Good time to volunteer....and.....If I see something I want at one one of those stores (on big sale) I may just go in the holiday morning.......if not, I won't.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
I do 95% of my shopping online now. Can't stand the brick and mortar stores anymore, especially when they're full of crazy-eyed shoppers. Nothing better than sitting back with my coffee online (hey I'm doing that right now!), thinking about the crowds I'm avoiding, buying just what I need and having someone deliver it to my door. On thanksgiving, I plan to sleep in (maybe just a half hour) and then roll out of bed to begin putting the day's Thanksgiving feast together. I hope to be on my second Bloody Mary by the time the neighbors get back from Kmart.
+1 except the Bloody Mary part . I have been known to forget vital parts of the meal after partaking in the holiday wine so no drinking until the meal is ready .
Old 11-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
+1 except the Bloody Mary part . I have been known to forget vital parts of the meal after partaking in the holiday wine so no drinking until the meal is ready .
"Why are there 8 cups of breadcrumbs on the counter?" I wish I had kept a list of ingredients I left out of recipes while socializing in the kitchen!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #26

We rarely do "Black Friday" or go on Holiday's. Really not fair to the folks who have to work at the big boxes. Our family agreed on doing a name exchange for the adults so only have to buy 2 presents (myself and DW) and so they can be nice presents. The others are happy with this arrangement also. Plus do a present game where a $5 gift's bounced around by whatever number you might have drawn.

I like having presents on Christmas and so do others. Just have to bring it down to rational limits.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A big NO to KMart, a big NO to shopping at 6AM or other unsocial hours, and a big NO to shopping on a holiday.

I stay well clear of any shopping center between Dec and Jan 15....and for that matter most other times.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
A big NO to KMart, a big NO to shopping at 6AM or other unsocial hours, and a big NO to shopping on a holiday.

I stay well clear of any shopping center between Dec and Jan 15....and for that matter most other times.
+1
I find the ambiance in KMart is depressing so I don't shop there...much. I might go there because it is closer to home and I think I might find what I want but usually I don't find what I am looking for or the price is too high.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #29

I avoid the stores during all vacation periods. In fact, I really do not like shopping. When I do, I try to buy something that will last....if only because it will save me from going shopping more often. And I only go when I want something...never to pass the time and just 'look around'.

We don't own the latest and greatest of everything nor do we care what our neighbours or friends have or don't have.

We have never paid a cent in interest on our credit cards. Live within our means. Retired early and financially very secure.

I wonder if there is a correlation?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #30

Maybe, maybe not. We are due to retire in 2 years.

Will be very comfortable. Never paid CC interest or felt like I needed to keep up with anyone.

I do keep up with tech that I like. I trade out guns for news ones I have not tried (sometimes I keep). Spend money shopping when we feel like it.

Agree with staying with in means but means are different for different folks, thus different spending habits.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #31

I don't like crowds so shopping during the holidays is not on my "to do" list. However, on occasion I do go to the mall on Christmas eve to sit and watch last minute shoppers go nuts. Holiday entertainment at its finest. Almost as much fun as watching Ralphie and friends in "A Christmas Story".

Cheers!
Old 11-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #32

It would feel just wrong to be out retail shopping on Thanksgiving. I am privileged to have the day off, and also the next 3 days, and I would hope that most families get some time at home together during the holiday.

I am going to a friend's house for Turkey Day and will be baking a pumpkin pie in the morning and picking out a couple of bottles of local wine from my holiday stockpile to bring to the table also.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've worked a great many holidays for my job. I almost had to work Thanksgiving and Christmas this year, but a last-minute personnel swap may prevent that.

In the old days, before hitting the pay cap, I got double pay for holidays, and always appreciated that. I hope the retail workers are paid extra. Folks who worry about the quality of retail workers' family lives should consider how much the extra bucks might mean to them.

Amethyst
Old 11-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #34

I won't do holiday shopping. Years ago, before I retired, I made the mistake of going to a Best Buy store on black friday; that will never happen again.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I've worked a great many holidays for my job. I almost had to work Thanksgiving and Christmas this year, but a last-minute personnel swap may prevent that.

In the old days, before hitting the pay cap, I got double pay for holidays, and always appreciated that. I hope the retail workers are paid extra. Folks who worry about the quality of retail workers' family lives should consider how much the extra bucks might mean to them.

Amethyst
You make a great point.