Kmart to open at 6am on Thanksgiving

gardenfun

Recycles dryer sheets
woo hoo! Always wanted to go shopping first thing Thanksgiving morning. :facepalm:

Apparently retailers are worried about the late T'giving date this year, and also the ever-increasing spending online on turkey day.

Personally, I am a non-holiday person. I like celebrations and small gift-giving just for the heck of it throughout the year. I've even grown to resent all the marketing around Halloween. And I spent most of my career in marketing!

But I'm wondering, how do you LBYM'ers deal with holiday spending, before and after retirement? With stores opening on Thanksgiving, the pressure to spend ratchets up each year it seems.

I'm telling my book group I won't participate in the gift exchange this year. We just buy each other cr*p that no one really needs. :nonono:

Okay, enough bah humbug for today. Have a good Tuesday everyone. And start making those holiday lists! Only 3 more weeks till Thanksgiving shopping day...

I will never shop on a major holiday when people should be getting the day off to spend with family. It's just another example of employers having less and less regard and consideration for their workers.

I'm already done with my holiday shopping. As a number of people in my family have lost their jobs and faced financial hardships this year, we all agreed to keep holiday spending to a minimum, 1/4 of what it usually is. So I won't be found anywhere near a store on or after Thanksgiving. I may still do some online shopping though, if I can find good deals on stuff that we need.

Not gonna happen. I don't even shop on Black Friday due to the crowds. The chances of finding me strolling through K-Mart on Thanksgiving are about zero.

As for holiday spending, all my friends and relatives have known for decades that I don't care to exchange gifts, so we just don't. They all seemed relieved when I started this so it is working out well for all of us.

I will send my daughter and son-in-law an Amazon gift card, and that is the extent of my Christmas shopping. I do like the after Christmas sales and sometimes buy myself a present at that time.

Last edited:
I don't feel any pressure to shop. I don't go near malls around the holidays. We bought a lot of our gifts when traveling in Peru earlier this year, and anything else I have to buy I will buy online.

Our holiday spending has declined. If I could get away with it, I'd let the few relatives we have know that we're not going to buy stuff for them they may or may not need/want or give them gift cards for them to go spend; and importantly we don't want anything from them as reciprocity! Only exception would be our 3, soon to be 4 grandchildren. I never have minded spending money on gifts if it was unique and would be valued. As we have aged our kids are quite well off as are we, so finding something missing from their lives or ours is just about impossible. I'd just as soon give a big donation in everyone's names to local food bank and call it good. Unfortunately, this is one issue DW and I have pretty divergent opinions on. Oh, the horror of not giving gifts!

Not being religuous, the "holidays" are mostly an excuse to party, and get time off from w*rk. Won't likely do much gift shopping, especially not at K-Mart on Thanksgiving morning. Seems dumb to buy each other gift cards, which is usually what happens...

Would rather just donate a couple hundred to a soup kitchen or something similar.

No way I'm shopping on Thanksgiving. As many people as possible should be given the day off to be with their loved ones and to remember and thank God for their many, many blessings.

We will not be leaving the home much over the holidays, except to go to the grocery stores.

Not gonna happen. I don't even shop on Black Friday due to the crowds. The chances of finding me strolling through K-Mart on Thanksgiving are about zero.

As for holiday spending, all my friends and relatives have known for decades that I don't care to exchange gifts, so we just don't. They all seemed relieved when I started this so it is working out well for all of us.

I will send my daughter and son-in-law an Amazon gift card, and that is the extent of my Christmas shopping. I do like the after Christmas sales and sometimes buy myself a present at that time.

I'm with you, W2R. People seem relieved when you suggest doing away with the exchanges.

And I agree with the rest of you folks that holidays are about getting together with family and friends and good food. And maybe some fighting to get the blood going! ;)

I haven't been to a KMart or JC Penny for many years....are they still in business?

If I could just "fast forward" from November 1 to January 2, I would be much happier.

But I would miss out on all the drinking and eating...

I do most gift shopping on line, so I'll keep an eye out for "deals" on T'Giving as I do on all holidays.

Meanwhile, I am puzzled by some people's irritation over "Christmas creep" (expressed in social media, and sometimes in newspaper editorials and letters). One of my relatives rails about it every year on FB. I think there are bigger things to worry about, than retailers putting up holiday decorations in September. I don't think it influences my spending patterns at all, unless there's a really good sale associated with it. Same if people want to go shopping on T'Giving, more power to them...I hope the employees are getting holiday pay, though!

Amethyst

I will never shop on a major holiday when people should be getting the day off to spend with family. It's just another example of employers having less and less regard and consideration for their workers.

+1

About four years ago my extended family made a pact - no more Christmas presents for the adults, just for kids. There are two kids in the extended family - one 6 years old and one 13 years old, and they receive a small number of presents. Very low key Thanksgiving and Christmas, and no shoppy frenzy involved. Best decision we ever made. It's not as if ANY of the adults need any more "stuff" in our lives at all.

Stop being negative :D I don't do much for holiday's either, especially since they are created to drive consuming during slow periods. I buy online items on sale during black friday if it's something I already planned to purchase. All those beeps and boops at checkout registers I just imagine money in my pocket of the stocks I own. Sit back with your favorite drink, and let the sheep shop!

I do 95% of my shopping online now. Can't stand the brick and mortar stores anymore, especially when they're full of crazy-eyed shoppers. Nothing better than sitting back with my coffee online (hey I'm doing that right now!), thinking about the crowds I'm avoiding, buying just what I need and having someone deliver it to my door. On thanksgiving, I plan to sleep in (maybe just a half hour) and then roll out of bed to begin putting the day's Thanksgiving feast together. I hope to be on my second Bloody Mary by the time the neighbors get back from Kmart. :D

We won't be anywhere near Kmart or any other retailer on a holiday. What little holiday shopping we do is for DW's grandnieces and she does almost all of that online.

About four years ago my extended family made a pact - no more Christmas presents for the adults, just for kids. There are two kids in the extended family - one 6 years old and one 13 years old, and they receive a small number of presents. Very low key Thanksgiving and Christmas, and no shoppy frenzy involved. Best decision we ever made. It's not as if ANY of the adults need any more "stuff" in our lives at all.

We have been doing this for many years and it works well for our families.

However, we love the holidays and look forward to them every year. Like decorating and even going out is some of the crowds.

Good time to volunteer....and.....If I see something I want at one one of those stores (on big sale) I may just go in the holiday morning.......if not, I won't.

I do 95% of my shopping online now. Can't stand the brick and mortar stores anymore, especially when they're full of crazy-eyed shoppers. Nothing better than sitting back with my coffee online (hey I'm doing that right now!), thinking about the crowds I'm avoiding, buying just what I need and having someone deliver it to my door. On thanksgiving, I plan to sleep in (maybe just a half hour) and then roll out of bed to begin putting the day's Thanksgiving feast together. I hope to be on my second Bloody Mary by the time the neighbors get back from Kmart. :D
+1 except the Bloody Mary part . I have been known to forget vital parts of the meal after partaking in the holiday wine so no drinking until the meal is ready .

+1 except the Bloody Mary part . I have been known to forget vital parts of the meal after partaking in the holiday wine so no drinking until the meal is ready .

"Why are there 8 cups of breadcrumbs on the counter?" I wish I had kept a list of ingredients I left out of recipes while socializing in the kitchen!

Back
Top Bottom