Join Early Retirement Today

Kmart to open at 6am on Thanksgiving
Old 11-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Kmart to open at 6am on Thanksgiving

woo hoo! Always wanted to go shopping first thing Thanksgiving morning.

Apparently retailers are worried about the late T'giving date this year, and also the ever-increasing spending online on turkey day.

Personally, I am a non-holiday person. I like celebrations and small gift-giving just for the heck of it throughout the year. I've even grown to resent all the marketing around Halloween. And I spent most of my career in marketing!

But I'm wondering, how do you LBYM'ers deal with holiday spending, before and after retirement? With stores opening on Thanksgiving, the pressure to spend ratchets up each year it seems.

I'm telling my book group I won't participate in the gift exchange this year. We just buy each other cr*p that no one really needs.

Okay, enough bah humbug for today. Have a good Tuesday everyone. And start making those holiday lists! Only 3 more weeks till Thanksgiving shopping day...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #2

I will never shop on a major holiday when people should be getting the day off to spend with family. It's just another example of employers having less and less regard and consideration for their workers.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm already done with my holiday shopping. As a number of people in my family have lost their jobs and faced financial hardships this year, we all agreed to keep holiday spending to a minimum, 1/4 of what it usually is. So I won't be found anywhere near a store on or after Thanksgiving. I may still do some online shopping though, if I can find good deals on stuff that we need.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Administrator

Not gonna happen. I don't even shop on Black Friday due to the crowds. The chances of finding me strolling through K-Mart on Thanksgiving are about zero.

As for holiday spending, all my friends and relatives have known for decades that I don't care to exchange gifts, so we just don't. They all seemed relieved when I started this so it is working out well for all of us.

I will send my daughter and son-in-law an Amazon gift card, and that is the extent of my Christmas shopping. I do like the after Christmas sales and sometimes buy myself a present at that time.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't feel any pressure to shop. I don't go near malls around the holidays. We bought a lot of our gifts when traveling in Peru earlier this year, and anything else I have to buy I will buy online.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our holiday spending has declined. If I could get away with it, I'd let the few relatives we have know that we're not going to buy stuff for them they may or may not need/want or give them gift cards for them to go spend; and importantly we don't want anything from them as reciprocity! Only exception would be our 3, soon to be 4 grandchildren. I never have minded spending money on gifts if it was unique and would be valued. As we have aged our kids are quite well off as are we, so finding something missing from their lives or ours is just about impossible. I'd just as soon give a big donation in everyone's names to local food bank and call it good. Unfortunately, this is one issue DW and I have pretty divergent opinions on. Oh, the horror of not giving gifts!
Old 11-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not being religuous, the "holidays" are mostly an excuse to party, and get time off from w*rk. Won't likely do much gift shopping, especially not at K-Mart on Thanksgiving morning. Seems dumb to buy each other gift cards, which is usually what happens...

Would rather just donate a couple hundred to a soup kitchen or something similar.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

No way I'm shopping on Thanksgiving. As many people as possible should be given the day off to be with their loved ones and to remember and thank God for their many, many blessings.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We will not be leaving the home much over the holidays, except to go to the grocery stores.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Not gonna happen. I don't even shop on Black Friday due to the crowds. The chances of finding me strolling through K-Mart on Thanksgiving are about zero.

As for holiday spending, all my friends and relatives have known for decades that I don't care to exchange gifts, so we just don't. They all seemed relieved when I started this so it is working out well for all of us.

I will send my daughter and son-in-law an Amazon gift card, and that is the extent of my Christmas shopping. I do like the after Christmas sales and sometimes buy myself a present at that time.
I'm with you, W2R. People seem relieved when you suggest doing away with the exchanges.

And I agree with the rest of you folks that holidays are about getting together with family and friends and good food. And maybe some fighting to get the blood going!
Old 11-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I haven't been to a KMart or JC Penny for many years....are they still in business?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I don't do holidays.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
Administrator

If I could just "fast forward" from November 1 to January 2, I would be much happier.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

But I would miss out on all the drinking and eating...
Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If I could just "fast forward" from November 1 to January 2, I would be much happier.
+1
Old 11-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I do most gift shopping on line, so I'll keep an eye out for "deals" on T'Giving as I do on all holidays.

Meanwhile, I am puzzled by some people's irritation over "Christmas creep" (expressed in social media, and sometimes in newspaper editorials and letters). One of my relatives rails about it every year on FB. I think there are bigger things to worry about, than retailers putting up holiday decorations in September. I don't think it influences my spending patterns at all, unless there's a really good sale associated with it. Same if people want to go shopping on T'Giving, more power to them...I hope the employees are getting holiday pay, though!

Amethyst
Old 11-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I will never shop on a major holiday when people should be getting the day off to spend with family. It's just another example of employers having less and less regard and consideration for their workers.
+1
Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I haven't been to a KMart or JC Penny for many years....are they still in business?
They are, if you are interested in buying a lot of crap. And why people need to buy this crap on Thanksgiving day is completely beyond me.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #19

About four years ago my extended family made a pact - no more Christmas presents for the adults, just for kids. There are two kids in the extended family - one 6 years old and one 13 years old, and they receive a small number of presents. Very low key Thanksgiving and Christmas, and no shoppy frenzy involved. Best decision we ever made. It's not as if ANY of the adults need any more "stuff" in our lives at all.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Stop being negative I don't do much for holiday's either, especially since they are created to drive consuming during slow periods. I buy online items on sale during black friday if it's something I already planned to purchase. All those beeps and boops at checkout registers I just imagine money in my pocket of the stocks I own. Sit back with your favorite drink, and let the sheep shop!