Join Early Retirement Today

Last day for FIA/Schwab Visa
Old 10-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Last day for FIA/Schwab Visa

It is with great sadness that I asked DW for her VISA card today. Got to send these to that CC graveyard. We managed to put about $3k on the card this month (including a trip to Austin to see #2 son). This will be the last easy $60 I guess.

Never received a new Visa from B of A. Went back found the letter and it says that the new card will come in Nov. Not holding my breath. I wonder in the old FIA account will just go away Letter said no more 2% for anything processed after today.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

Sad to see it go as well. Have been searching for another 2% Visa/MC. The Fidelity 2% Amex just isn't taken where we shop the most (grocery stores, etc.).

Does anyone have/know about the Nasa Federal CU CashBack Visa? Supposed to be a tiered 2% based on annual spending: $0 - $1000@1%; $1001 to $2000@1.25%; $2001+ @2%.

- L

Old 10-31-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I have the Fido AMEX card, and I too was concerned about AMEX's acceptance at all of the places I like to use credit. So far, the only place I found that won't take AMEX is Sam's Club. I have way more difficulty in using my Discover card than my AMEX card.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:05 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I have not got my card yet either. I thought somewhere in the letter they mentioned cash back on the new card. Not as good as 2% on everything, but gas was 3% IIRC. So I am waiting to see what happens before putting another account in motion.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
I have the Fido AMEX card, and I too was concerned about AMEX's acceptance at all of the places I like to use credit. So far, the only place I found that won't take AMEX is Sam's Club. I have way more difficulty in using my Discover card than my AMEX card.
Our local Taco Bell doesn't take Amex either...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Our local Taco Bell doesn't take Amex either...

Well that is only because Amex never has run a commercial featuring a good looking, well-dressed couple enjoying fine dining at Taco Bell.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm really p/o'd at BAC now. I'm overseas, my bill goes to my US address, when FIA/BAC transferred the CC acct they did not transfer existing bill pay arrangements. BAC's system won't allow me to enter checking acct info to pay the bill, so I called. I waited maybe 10 minutes for "the next available representative". Eventually, a recorded voice came on the line and said "we're sorry, we are unable to assist you at this time due to system maintenance...pls try again after 2:30am EST...kachunck!". The nerve!!!

So, I may have to get out the checkbook and try to find an address online to which I can send payment...otherwise I'll be late, have my credit score damaged, and have to pay interest and penalties...I think they saw this as a way to boost revenues via interest and penalties.

First chance I get, I'll be looking for another card...I really don't care about crappy rewards...just want ease of use, email notifications when the invoice is sent, a reasonable level of security, and ability to do everything I need to do online from wherever in the world I happen to be on any given day.

Oh, almost forgot...BAC put a security hold on both of by CCs (I had one from BAC before, also an acquisition by BAC), while I was recently traveling in Hong Kong. Can you imagine how horrifying it is to have only two personal CCs (plus one for business) and have both of them denied when trying to check into a hotel? A JW Marriott...not our usual Comfort Inn...

I'm fuming!

R
Old 11-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I'm really p/o'd at BAC now. I'm overseas, my bill goes to my US address, when FIA/BAC transferred the CC acct they did not transfer existing bill pay arrangements. BAC's system won't allow me to enter checking acct info to pay the bill, so I called. I waited maybe 10 minutes for "the next available representative". Eventually, a recorded voice came on the line and said "we're sorry, we are unable to assist you at this time due to system maintenance...pls try again after 2:30am EST...kachunck!". The nerve!!!

R
If you had a bill pay set up via a bank, you could do that from anywhere in the world if you had internet access. I personally don't like to use individual account payment options because of this kind of problem. I use Schwab Billpay. For most large billers, like BofA, when you pay via billpay, the payee gets the money electronically the next day.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #9

Thx, SteveL. I need to check on this. I went online today to check it again, and believe it or not, BAC decided that they would assign the same checking account that is on my other CC to the Schwab/FIA CC that they took over. At least I was able to get it paid, and I have it set up to be able to transfer funds from that checking acct back and forth with Schwab, so it will work for now, until I can figure out what I want to do.

R
Old 11-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

We received our "last" FIA email notification of statement today. I took a look and then went to Schwab to set up payment. Normally, when I get a statement, the rebate for the prior statement is deposited into my brokerage acct. For this statement, the rebate included both last month, and the current month.

Since we are no longer charging on this card, I wonder how they will handle returns. Usually, the rebate is based on net charges. I wonder if they will deduct something, or just let it go? (ha ha) I suppose I need to leave this account open for a while....

Still nothing from B of A regarding a replacement card....
Old 11-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #11

I went online to look at my (formerly Schwab VISA) account today, and lo and behold, although I have a login, I have no accounts registered. I gave them a call. Twenty minutes later with two forwards and repetitions of name, account number and security word, I was told that my new card was mailed yesterday, and when it arrived I could register the new account number.

I'll be tucking the new card away when it arrives -- I'm switching to my Amazon VISA for regular use. It has decent rewards, and I can directly spend rewards at Amazon. I buy enough from them that it should work out fine. The beauty of the old card to me was that you didn't have to do anything to get the rewards, and the Amazon card is as close to that as I've found.

Coach
Old 11-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I went online to look at my (formerly Schwab VISA) account today, and lo and behold, although I have a login, I have no accounts registered.
Hmmm, yes, I see that. I've still been using my old card, so the info has to be out there somewhere. I'll be looking for the new card in the mail. Been watching this topic with some interest and have been looking at other card options, like many others. I haven't gotten on the "hate BofA" bandwagon yet, so will see how things go with new card and cash-back.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I got FIA to give me the new b of A acct number, and am on hold waiting to talk to someone. Will I have access to the old statements? What happens when a merchant wants the old card to authorize a return?
After ten minutes they answered, and now I'm on hold again while she researches the answer.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, the only clear answer I received is that the old card should still be good. It was unclear if all the old account history will be there when/if I get on line access to the new card.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm going to guess that any transactions with the old card since November 1 will show on the new card account and as soon as the new card is activated, the old one is done.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #16
gone traveling

DW/I use FIA/FIDO's AMEX (2% cash back) and VISA (1.5% until $15K charged annually - 2% thereafter).

For those interested, here's the info links for both:

Fidelity® Investment Rewards® Visa Signature® Card

Fidelity Rewards American Express® Cards

We use the AMEX at most places, and the VISA where AMEX is not used, as the backup.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I am annoyed with FIA AMEX - they had told me that since FIA manages the card, I will still have access to ShopSafe feature (where they instantly generate a number for you online whenever you need a "fake" number / code to give out online or elsewhere)... This was a really nice feature from Schwab / FIA card... Now they say the card does not have the feature... I guess I will use a substitute BofA Visa instead for when I don't know the merchants well enough...
Old 11-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #18
Confused about dryer sheets

Has anyone received the replacement card? I just called BofA and they said it should arrive
sometime late November / early December! I told them my main concern is until I get the new card and setup the access, I do not have any exposure into my account. They assured me that I could simply call them if I had an issue. Sounds like I need to start searching for a another card.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Am using my old card to do returns, but not going to charge anything until I get on-line access. Somebody at B of A told me that my new card went in the mail last Sat. I'm not holding my breath.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Sounds like BOFA dropped the ball on this. If you want credit between Nov 1 and when the new card arrives, you have to go get a card from someone else (and less likely to go back to BOFA).

I am not planning to activate the new card when it arrives. I've already switched to a new card.