Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Last minute filing blues...
Old 04-18-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Now that electronic filing is catching on, I wonder how the IRS servers are doing too.

Ours were filed electronically on Monday.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Ughh ughh - I spent 3+ hrs trying to finish the last step of transmitting my returns. How difficult is it to buy extra servers for 1 day? Next time maybe I will file a day earlier.

-h
Old 04-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All you procrastinators!!!! LOL!

I'm really bad too, but I don't wait until tax day to efile.

Well - the real reason is because I have to know for sure how much we owe so that I can do the electronic fund transfers of cash to the bank account and then schedule the withdrawal from EFTPS. This process takes a few days, and I efile before I do the rest.

Audrey
Old 04-18-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I was good and put mine in the mail on Sunday....

To much problems with the Efiling..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The deadline is a fake deadline anyways. Anyone can send in a small slip of paper (about 4 inches by 8.5 inches) and get an automatic extension. I also hear that folks who submit their return after filing an extension have a lower chance of being audited.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
I was good and put mine in the mail on Sunday....

To much problems with the Efiling..
Me too. Took about fifteen minutes to print a copy and figure out which pre-printed address label to put on the envelope. I needed to make the trip to the PO anyway since I owed money and had to at least mail the check.

I Efiled my 2004 taxes and wasn't impressed by the time saved or convenience. Since I always plan on owing money and therefore need to mail a check anyway, I just can't justify the extra cost of Efiling based on my one experience.

Maybe they'll wise up and start offering Efiling for free or even give you a credit on next year's taxes of a few bux for Efiling this year.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

efiled a month ago. no problems and got a direct deposit return
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Heck, when I was in graduate school, I would often file in October or November of that year. I was always getting money back. It didn't seem as if the IRS really cared. I even called them once and they said "please file", but nothing else!

I had a baaaaad case of procrastination back then..... Not unusual for grad students.

Audrey
Old 04-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
I needed to make the trip to the PO anyway since I owed money and had to at least mail the check.
I always owe money too. I used to file early and let them do the debit from my bank account on the day the taxes were due. This time I was waiting for some modified and then procrastinated after I got them a week ago

never again
-h
Old 04-18-2007, 11:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
All you procrastinators!!!! LOL!

I'm really bad too, but I don't wait until tax day to efile.

Well - the real reason is because I have to know for sure how much we owe so that I can do the electronic fund transfers of cash to the bank account and then schedule the withdrawal from EFTPS. This process takes a few days, and I efile before I do the rest.

Audrey
I already have my refund. Procrastinators unite tommorrow! I'm going on vacation.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #12

If you live in the New England area or any place that was affected by the storm Sun-Mon you have an extra two days to file your federal taxes. I haven't heard if MA extended it for the state taxes. Even if you're E-filing you just click the disaster button.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #13

I mailed my extension with my check yesterday. l I just hope I remembered to sign the check and do everything else that would prevent them from getting it in time. Since my accountant didn't get my estimate done until Monday, it was a mad scramble Monday and yesterday making sure I had that much moola in my checking account!! For once, it wasn't my procrastination....it was my accountant! I hate last minute tax sh*t.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #14

My e-filing went very easily on the 14th.....of January!

I try not to procrastinate, otherwise I tend to forget the little things....like filing my tax return. But mainly do things as soon as possible when it comes to dealing with filing stuff with the gov't. One of my monthly tasks when I was still employed, was electronically filing monthly reports with the state.....and that NEVER went smoothly! I swear their servers were 386SX's running MS Windows 3.0! Man were they slooooooow! Since having to deal with that, I don't rely on gov't (or anybody else's) computers/servers running as expected.

Kind of like "expect the unexpected", and "plan for the best, but prepare for the worst"
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
My e-filing went very easily on the 14th.....of January!
There's a special place in Hell for people like you, my friend, and it's filled with piles of corrected 1099s!

I think we can all figure out who Intuit's really looking out for, and it's not us or the IRS.

Actually the server crash was caused by the IRS trying to push our e-refund back through the pipeline. Sorry guys. I won't make that mistake again...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
There's a special place in Hell for people like you, my friend, and it's filled with piles of corrected 1099s!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
There sure is!

I remember in 2005 when I got a received a corrected 1099 on April 16th!?!?&*%()$)#
I was so disgusted, I had just efiled a couple of days before, and I had to turn right around and file a corrected return!

I don't dare file before April 1. This year there was a March 28th corrected 1099.

Audrey
Old 04-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
I remember in 2005 when I got a received a corrected 1099 on April 16th!?!?&*%()$)#
I was so disgusted, I had just efiled a couple of days before, and I had to turn right around and file a corrected return!
I filed in late March, and of course got a(nother) corrected 1099 right after I mailed off the return. Doesn't change the tax owed, so I'm not inclined to bother to file an amended return. I realize I am running the risk of having their computer barf up a mismatch letter, but I've had it with the BS and figure I'll file the amended return if and when they demand it. Of course if I find myself undergoing a full proctological audit as a result, I will regret my present attitude problem.
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
I filed in late March, and of course got a(nother) corrected 1099 right after I mailed off the return. Doesn't change the tax owed, so I'm not inclined to bother to file an amended return. I realize I am running the risk of having their computer barf up a mismatch letter, but I've had it with the BS and figure I'll file the amended return if and when they demand it. Of course if I find myself undergoing a full proctological audit as a result, I will regret my present attitude problem.
Danger Will Robinson Danger. You are using common sense here which is a bad idea when dealing with the IRS :

-h

Old 04-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I got one partnership statement on April 13, an another on April 14 saying that it would be several weeks before Hawaii certified the statement. So it was extension time for me. I sent a modest check out to Uncle Sam, hopefully it will be enough.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote