Join Early Retirement Today

Last mortgage check in the mail
Old 07-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Last mortgage check in the mail

I used to think that I couldn't or wouldn't retire before my mortgage was paid off. Of course that's one of those nonsense arbitrary numerical milestones we erect when we plan or think about ER. I eventually used my 55th birthday for my ER date. However, 2.5 yrs later, is still is sweet to send off the last mortgage check. We bought one house and have lived here 30 yrs just like we w*rked for one employer for 30 yrs. Both of those were factors in our being able to ER.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
I used to think that I couldn't or wouldn't retire before my mortgage was paid off. Of course that's one of those nonsense arbitrary numerical milestones we erect when we plan or think about ER. I eventually used my 55th birthday for my ER date. However, 2.5 yrs later, is still is sweet to send off the last mortgage check. We bought one house and have lived here 30 yrs just like we w*rked for one employer for 30 yrs. Both of those were factors in our being able to ER.
Congratulations -- that $X per month on the mortgage is now $X per month less that you need to live on in retirement. And with the graduated income tax and the coming PPACA exchange/subsidy mechanism (if one doesn't have employer-provided retiree insurance), preparing for retirement by reducing your income needs becomes almost as important as increasing your income available in some cases.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #3

Congratulations!! That's a real accomplishment. I'm looking forward to that same feeling in a few years.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
Congratulations. And, everything you wrote in your post is impressive (and has a really good feeling to it).
Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #5

Congratulations! I felt the same way about not wanting to retire while I had a mortgage. It's somewhat arbitrary, but it feels great to have so much lower expenses before you give up the paycheck. You will sleep very well at nights being mortgage free!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats Marty! I know how it feels. I've been mortgage free for almost twelve years but high property taxes(12K/yr) makes me feel like I'm renting my own place.

New Loan 8/11/1998 - 207K
PAID in FULL 8/24/2001 - Last payment was 12.5K
Old 07-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Administrator

Woo-hoo!!

What a huge difference that can make in one's expenses! Congratulations.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2020 View Post
Congrats Marty! I know how it feels. I've been mortgage free for almost twelve years but high property taxes(12K/yr) makes me feel like I'm renting my own place.
I guess I should also mention that I live in CA. Prop 13 has kept my property taxes down. Another good reason to stay in the same place for 30 yrs.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What a huge difference that can make in one's expenses! Congratulations.
There is a flip side to owning the same place for 30 yrs. The price of my home was $118k back in 1983. So while the mortgage was a significant amount it is still relatively small by today's standards. Still . . . it will be a nice boost.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #10

Paying off my mortgage back in 1998 after only 9 years was a big step toward my being to switch to working part-time 3 years later then ERing 7 years after that. I had a 1-year ARM and the interest rate was rising in the mid-1990s so I was glad to get rid of the whole loan and lower my monthly expenses. Use your newly "found" money well, Martyp!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Got rid of mine a dozen yrs ago.
Great feeling. Its something you will never miss.
As far as the write off goes, that too is way over blown.
Congrats!
Old 07-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! I recently retired, paid off the mortgage, and started collecting a pension. If anyone bothers to ask, I would say that paying off the mortgage has made the biggest difference, percentage-wise, in peace of mind.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #13

Congratulations!

That must feel great!
Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #14

Congratulations! We hope to be there ourselves one day.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #15

Congratulations.
I hope to join you in the mortgage free club early next year when DH retires. (Or when I retire. Might do it sooner if I get laid off - use the lump sum severance to instantly reduce our expenses. (We have other cash flow that I'll divert from paying *down* the mortgage to living expenses if that happens.)
Old 07-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Bravo!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations! I love being debt-free and I am sure you will too.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #18

Congrats on your "new beginning--life without a mortgage"

Suggest you also make a reminder for yourself to confirm you receive (say 3 months from date of payment) from whoever actually holds your mortgage a formal "release of deed on trust" for your property. The release should have been also recorded with the county where the property is located. If the release does not show evidence of recording, I personally would send for recording myself.
With all the sale and resale of mortgage paper, many banks want to duck the effort to actually complete the re-transmittal of clear title.
Nwsteve
Old 07-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #19

Don't it feel great? Wait til you get your release paper back. It will feel even better.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Congrats on your "new beginning--life without a mortgage"

Suggest you also make a reminder for yourself to confirm you receive (say 3 months from date of payment) from whoever actually holds your mortgage a formal "release of deed on trust" for your property. The release should have been also recorded with the county where the property is located. If the release does not show evidence of recording, I personally would send for recording myself.
With all the sale and resale of mortgage paper, many banks want to duck the effort to actually complete the re-transmittal of clear title.
Nwsteve
Good advice. Thanks.