Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyinglife102 View Post
Depends how much you value your time. Life expectancy for someone your age is around 25 years; if you want to spend about 15% of that earning money you could easily do without then keep working. I doubt many here would make that choice and I know there is zero chance I would. The severance, UE & fly fishing lessons make it an even easier choice. Good luck deciding.
Exactly. We tend to think about life as being an infinite resource, but once you pass 50, you are ticking off a significant portion of what is left each year. I got the chance to leave at 54 in a similar deal and I have not regretted for one second the decision to leave money on the table. I have enough money and my years of retirement are definitely finite.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Given your current level of "enjoyment" and the prospects of getting only 2.5 years more salary for 3.5 years of w*rk, it seems reasonable to take the deal. I bet most of the extra retirement income difference comes from investment gains as opposed to contributions. If you can significantly reduce expenses for the next few years while your DW is still working anyway, you may be able to recover some of that. On the other hand, counting on investment gains over a two year period is pretty much a gamble. How would you feel if the market fell 20%+ over the next couple of years? And third, you'd have a year to find a new job with no loss of income.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Compelling reasons for leaving, FWIW, DW agrees with you.

Best I could find online for unemployment "Unemployment Insurance (UI) is a temporary income protection program for workers who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own." I'll give them a call tomorrow, I've got till the middle of the month to decide.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I'd also mention that in the first round of layoffs at my workplace, the offer was pretty generous (when I left). The second round wasn't pretty as there was a change in upper management with a different "outlook" on what was owed to excess employees. That combined with a death of a good friend who was working "one more year" and never got to spend a day in retirement, gives me my current perspective.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would take it. You may not be offered another package and you seem to be close enough to your desired retirement.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
You should not think twice about taking this deal. I would KILL for such an offer.
+1. Take it!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Compelling reasons for leaving, FWIW, DW agrees with you.

Best I could find online for unemployment "Unemployment Insurance (UI) is a temporary income protection program for workers who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own." I'll give them a call tomorrow, I've got till the middle of the month to decide.
I certainly don't disagree with what the group is suggesting, but just make sure the "area between the ears" is in agreement. You appear to be a person who has a financial
plan and lifestyle desired in retirement. If you take the buyout and adjust your spending rate to compensate, while you be happy with this lifestyle? If you rachet down the the years you plan to stay alive, to the make the numbers work back to your originally intended yearly burn rate, will you become a worrier and fret over your money lasting?
My retirement was simple. Retired early and live off the pension. But the space between my ears would not allow me to enjoy this until I just completed 3 years of part time work to build up a sufficient reserve to where I do not worry now. It is a great feeling for me. Good luck in your decision!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One years severance ($100k), and $5K for retraining which I'd probably use for fly-fishing or golf school.
I'd first figure out what that severance ad training is after taxes, and if the resulting impact will not be an issue.

Do you have the ability to spread it out, or must you all take it at once? Almost every company i am aware of requires you to take it all at once (less bookkeeping for them), so you need to factor in the taxes on the severance as they may push you into a much higher tax bracket this year. That 100K severance might turn out to be closer to 60-65K based on the federal and any state tax impact.

For the training sometimes this is treated as a taxable benefit so you want to check that as well.

As Mulligan mentioned, you want to be sure that you will be happy in adjusting your spending rate before making the decision.

Good luck! I'm the same age as you but have more savings. If this was offered to me I would take it in a heartbeat. But your mileage may vary.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Take it and don't look back.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I'd first figure out what that severance ad training is after taxes, and if the resulting impact will not be an issue.

Do you have the ability to spread it out, or must you all take it at once?
I believe it's all at once and the figure is before taxes, but it's another thing to check on. The effect of taxes when combined with this years earnings to date is something I hadn't thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I You appear to be a person who has a financial
plan and lifestyle desired in retirement. If you take the buyout and adjust your spending rate to compensate, while you be happy with this lifestyle?
This is much of the conundrum, I do/did have it all figured out. This certainly could change our projected lifestyle. DW is fine with it, don't know as yet if I would be.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Don't retire continue paying into social security and medicare to help the rest of us retired folks. Heck I don't think you should ever retire there is no greater glory than dying in the office and being taken out feet first.

Actually I only said this because the forum is boring when everyone gives the same advice
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DW is fine with it, don't know as yet if I would be.
I'm beginning to waiver. I think Clifp might be right. Maybe you should keep working and 'take one for the team' - we'll really appreciate your hard work and sacrifice.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you willing to work the next year, with fewer colleagues and more stress for FREE? I bet that would take 2 years off your life so your gain is not so much. The first package is always the best.

Sounds like by your numbers you could take your current assets with no growth divide by 12 and get to 70 on your current expenses with little problem. Having an inflation adjusted annuity at that point will give you a solid base plus whatever you have left in investments to supplement it. I predict that the years 58-70 will be more valuable than the years 70-82 if you reach them, but it is still a gamble. I would look at it as removing a lot of the risk of retiring early. You can always say "Welcome to WalMart" and pass out smiley stickers

I get up at 7 yeah, and I go to work at 9. Got no time for livin yes I'm workin all the time. Seems to me I could live my life a lot better than I think I am. I guess thats why they call me the Working Man.
DJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I would take the package and cut back on expenses for a couple of years.
This way it wouldn't effect my w/d rates as much.
ikonomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #35

On this forum we angle things to death. That is good. We don't like surprises.

With that in mind...if you took the offer...would you go near the beginning of 2014, or would it be this year? Tax wise...that is important to know when getting severance. The beginning of 2014 would be better since you would not have made that much earned income for taxes...which could affect the tax rate of your severance.

By the way...I lean the way the group says and get the hell out of Dodge...and get on with what's important...your life.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #36

I would do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I would be inclined to take it. If you don't take it, you may be in the next round of layoffs and may not get anything.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I would take it. A couple of things to negotiate (depending on the size of your company) - last date for your employment, you can say you will help with transition and some training, it could be 3-6 months from now. Also see if you can push the severance to 2014-Jan or spread out.Also make sure you max out on your 401k this year for the remaining paychecks.
pixelville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
With that in mind...if you took the offer...would you go near the beginning of 2014, or would it be this year? Tax wise...that is important to know when getting severance. The beginning of 2014 would be better since you would not have made that much earned income for taxes...which could affect the tax rate of your severance.
The one email I have says end of July, but I have yet to talk to anyone.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #39

I would take this in a heartbeat and you should as well.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
You should not think twice about taking this deal. I would KILL for such an offer.
Agreed, well other than the committing a felony part.

padlin00, just listen to yourself (emph mine)...

Quote:

I'm 56 employed at the same place for 35 years, wife is 57 and self employed, she has cut back her hours to spend time with the grand kids. Job prospects for me would not be good as aside from the age thing, while I'm in computers few of the skills I have are transferable to local businesses. I'm in manufacturing and honestly wouldn't want to do this anymore even is there were other opportunities.

All the calculators say we can do 70k - 75k for 40 years. We need about 50k (figures are after taxes) for the basics and could cut to about 40k if we had to, but have been closer to 70k lately with some long delayed home remodeling after 32 years. We've been tracking spending with Quicken for the last 18 months.

... With the layoffs, forced on many, our work load will be getting even worse then it already is, which is not something I look forward to.
I don't need to add anything. Severance, enough money for your lifestyle, medical coverage, job going from bad to worse if you stay - what else would it take? What are you waiting for?

And for some perspective, I'd say 98/100 of these types of posts are from someone who can't pull it off financially, but are sick of their job and want affirmation. That's not you.

Quote:
Cross over children. All are welcome. All welcome. Go into the Light. There is peace and serenity in the Light.
-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote