Join Early Retirement Today

Lazy Portfolio for Retirees?
Old 08-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Lazy Portfolio for Retirees?

I am trying to simplify the overall tax deferred IRA for my DW in case something happens to me. Are there any retirees using a 4 Fund Couch Potato type Portfolio?
25% TIPS
25% Total Bond
25% TSM
25% Total Intnl ( Or possibly 20% and add 5% REIT Index)

This would be easy for her to keep balanced and should be safe for the 3.5% withdrawal rate we currently use.

I can't bring myself to do a straight "Target Retirement" portfolio. However, a few appropriate external Funds centered around a Wellesley Fund core might be appealing.

This would cut things back from a current 10 Fund Portfolio.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Seems like you have 3 good choices, the 4 funds you indicated, Wellesley + some compatible fund (my wife's IRA is Wellesley + Star) or a Target Retirement type fund (don't know what you don't like about them, do you figure they don't capture enough rebalance benefit?) my main retirement fund is a TR type fund but we do have some stocks too. Any of these would be simpler than a 10 fund portfolio.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneiac View Post
I am trying to simplify the overall tax deferred IRA for my DW in case something happens to me. Are there any retirees using a 4 Fund Couch Potato type Portfolio?
25% TIPS
25% Total Bond
25% TSM
25% Total Intnl ( Or possibly 20% and add 5% REIT Index)
I like it for your stated needs.

Personally I'd lighten up a bit on TIPs. My philosophy is to have enough TIPS for a year or two worth of expenses. My understanding is that stocks historically do poorly early in an inflation cycle, then actually tend to do well; my strategy is to have enough TIPs to see me through the stock adjustment period only given their otherwise ho-hum return.

Go for it - Bogle and Dolin would approve.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:42 AM   #4

My written instructions to my wife are to either get into a taget retirement fund or to go to a similar portfolio that you show with instructions on how to rebalance the AA as she gets older, I just haven't decided what funds I want in the simple portfolio.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like the lazy portfolio as well. Only problem, I'm too lazy to make the conversion.
Thanks all
Old 08-26-2007, 08:03 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks all

As long as I leave good enough instructions as to why I selected these funds and the appropriate percentages to use for rebalancing things should be better than the convoluted set of instructions I currently have for 10 Funds:confused:

Possibly before all is said and done, the simplest method certainly would be to have everything in a Target Retirement fund for her.......at least there are no fees involved to change this IRA around a bit. (Simplify it )

Thanks R-I-T...You have given me something to think about as far as TIPS allocation. My allocation was based on Larry Swedroe's recent bond book pg.226 but even a 25% allocation would be enough for 5 years expenses.

Larry
Old 08-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #7

Spartan International
FSIIX
14.86%

Equities
Fixed Income
Spartan 500 Index
FSMKX
27.21%

55.47%
44.53%
Spartan Total Mrkt.
FSTMX
13.40%

FIDO MM
CASH

36.48%

After tax
CASH

8.05%

Old 08-26-2007, 11:49 AM   #8

Maneiac,

Your proposed 4-fund portfolio is very similar to that advocated by Taylor from the Bogglehead forum. It is simple but yet diversified. A 50/50 (equity/fixed income) allocation seems appropriate for someone in his/her 50s or someone who is conservative. An equal split between TIPS and Total Bond Market is a good idea to provide inflation protection and income.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It looks very conservative, but OK. I believe that Vanguard will rebalance for you once a year. Check on that. They will also do an automatic RMD for you. Makes it easy for her.

I like the 50/50 US/intl.

But the 50/50 fixed income/equities looks too conservative for me. How about 30/30/20/20 US/intl/bonds/TIPS? (=60/40 equities/FI.)

How about a Margarita portfolio? 1/3 US, 1/3 intl, 1/3 bonds or TIPS.

My 2 cents:

I have never been a fan of bond funds. I see SS as my fixed income component. Individual bonds I don't like either. They can be called. I can see individual TIPS as a bucket.

Even though I own Vanguard's REIT fund, I would not choose that one for my one sector fund. I prefer VGENX, Vanguard's energy index fund.

For now, I am all equities, 50/50 US/intl. SS will be my 'bond fund'.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote