Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I dunno what all these ticker symbols you guys are talking about are, but I just buy the vanguard target retirement fund. It's named after my goal, how could I go wrong?

I have not been able to figure out something I think is smarter and justifies the extra effort, given the amount I have invested and the time I have available.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This has been a good thread to get me thinking. I have a pension I live off of easily, but still need to protect from inflation and maybe any other problems down the road. Although I enjoy reading about the market and understand it fairly well, I have never been a particulary good investor. I want to be partially aggressive and safe at the same time, and yet be simple. Im just going to invest in the Vanguard Life Strategy Growth Fund, and continue to max out the I Bonds. If in my lifetime CD's ever creep above the inflation rate, I will put more into those, while continuing to keep what I have now in them dispite their present low rate, which will go even lower next year when most mature, Im sure.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I started doing a 3 fund Lazy portfolio with Vanguard before they started the Target Date funds. Then I added Wellesley and I've been happy with my 4 fund approach. I may simplify to a Vanguard Target date fund and Wellesley. I keep Wellesley because I like the investment style and the results.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #44

I'm thinking of consolidating my non-401k and non-ira investments into a 3 or 4 fund lazy portfolio at Vanguard. $ would be transferred from an annuity, cd, 2 checking accounts, savings, a reit, one single stock that I inherited, and a brokerage account. I'm going to set up DW an offshoot account for her mad money. It looks like there will be a lot of paperwork involved. Has anyone had experience with Vanguard's customer service as it relates to transfers & fund/allocation suggestions(financial plan)?
Old 01-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm thinking of consolidating my non-401k and non-ira investments into a 3 or 4 fund lazy portfolio at Vanguard. $ would be transferred from an annuity, cd, 2 checking accounts, savings, a reit, one single stock that I inherited, and a brokerage account. I'm going to set up DW an offshoot account for her mad money. It looks like there will be a lot of paperwork involved. Has anyone had experience with Vanguard's customer service as it relates to transfers & fund/allocation suggestions(financial plan)?
I had a painless transfer of all my holdings from Fidelity to Vanguard about 10 years ago, and subsequently rollovers of my 401(k) and a small pension lump sum, also to Vanguard. They pretty much handled everything for me, so I was pleased.

They also offered a complete analysis of my holdings and provided their detailed recommendations, it was completely free (depends on your total $ assets) including a detailed printout and a follow up phone call. If your investing philosophy leans toward the Bogle philosophy, mine does, the analysis should be worthwhile. If your investing philosophy is more active and aggressive, I don't think they will make recommendations along those lines.

And a similar analysis is available online at all times once you're a customer, I think it's called Portfolio Analyzer and there are other Performance measures you can access.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've only done it with 401(k) rollovers so far, but my experience and my readings indicate that the receiving institution will take care of all the paperwork for you and is more responsive than if you try to start with the institution you're withdrawing from.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I did something similar with VG years ago - they make it very easy. I am a happy VG customer for 20 years.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #48

Thanks Midpack, Bigmoneyjim & pb4uski

It's good to know that they'll help me with the transfers. I'll give them a call this afternoon