Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Made from scratch pies, breads for truck errands. Steaks on the grill and swimming in return for heavier yard work jobs. Scratch pizza and beer for spring cleaning or painting. These are with my adult children and their friends.

Now, if I can only find some way to barter my cooking for a housecleaner!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

[quote=CuppaJoe]Another condition? First it was a $50 limit on splurges, now "keep it clean."

As if I thought anybody on the Fiercely Independent Rubber Elephant Forum would pay the slightest attention to my conditions....

>>Now I get $40 for a 4-day weekend's worth of kitty litter in a nicer apt.

Huh? Who gives you the $40--the cats? Glad to hear they can afford a nicer place to live, anyway.

>>vice pay?

Uh-oh...I see I have allowed bureau-speak to creep into my title. That's what I get for posting during the week. Thanks for making me laugh...I needed it. I have been interviewing for a new job, and a soul-sucking experience it is. "Tell us about a time when you were faced with a challenge, and how you dealt with it." "What do you consider to be your style when dealing with people?" On and on, for an hour, and I could tell the relationship wasn't going to click
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:31 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
>>vice pay?

Uh-oh...I see I have allowed bureau-speak to creep into my title. That's what I get for posting during the week. Thanks for making me laugh...I needed it. I have been interviewing for a new job, and a soul-sucking experience it is. "Tell us about a time when you were faced with a challenge, and how you dealt with it." "What do you consider to be your style when dealing with people?" On and on, for an hour, and I could tell the relationship wasn't going to click
I still don't understand. What is vice pay? My friend used to cut wood for any woman who would sleep with him, but I think they all considered it simple barter, not vice pay.

Is it this, or something else?

Ha
Old 03-11-2009, 01:13 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Just never seem to find any quid-pro-quo opportunities for barter. Still, unofficially I barter all the time. But I call it being "friends and neighbors". Give extra food (e.g., bought too much at farmers mkt. and don't want it to spoil) to neighbors. They reciprocate for same reasons. Take friends to airport and vice versa. It's just what folks do for each other.

Wish I did have a marketable "skill" or "product" I could barter. Love to hear your stories of e.g., game for services or professional services for pet services, etc. I'd love to be doing more of that, but my professional background is so "inbred" that it doesn't often translate to a barterable commodity.

I sense that barter will become more the norm as the recession deepens. Typically, barter is win-win at little or no "official" cost to anyone. How can you lose? Plus, it cements relationships if it's done in anything approaching an equitable manner. I always feel compelled, for instance, to "outdo" our friends generosity. They seem to do the same. Feels good!

Now where did I stash my old copies of Mother Earth News?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #25

I keep triing to get my CPA to take my lake house for a week for a credit at his office. Says he loves the area but can't get the family schedule to work. Well see ...
Old 03-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Some of the gigs I do include a free dinner. It saves me the cost of a dinner out, and costs the restaurant only a fraction of that.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Ha wrote, I still don't understand. What is vice pay? My friend used to cut wood for any woman who would sleep with him, but I think they all considered it simple barter, not vice pay.

As I suspect you are aware, "vice" is bureaucratese for "instead of." As in, "Barter, vice [instead of] paying for." I try to keep work jargon out of my non-work life, but didn't quite succeed this time.

I consider it an honor, though, when Mr. Ha, Ha, Ha deigns to find an innuendo in my innocent posts...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Ha wrote, I still don't understand. What is vice pay? My friend used to cut wood for any woman who would sleep with him, but I think they all considered it simple barter, not vice pay.

As I suspect you are aware, "vice" is bureaucratese for "instead of." As in, "Barter, vice [instead of] paying for." I try to keep work jargon out of my non-work life, but didn't quite succeed this time.

I consider it an honor, though, when Mr. Ha, Ha, Ha deigns to find an innuendo in my innocent posts...
Amethyst, my knowledge of bureaucratese is nil, so I really did not know what you meant. I thought you might have meant a little low key neighborhood hooking, among friends as it were.

Ha
Old 03-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
... I really didn't not know what you meant.....
Ha
I believe you.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

"Vice" as in "instead of" is new to me as well. I can't really see myself using it in a sentence.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #31

Well we have a nice new neighbor. She asked me to look at her computer because I told her I was handy with em. Simple fix and she made to die for chocolate chip cookies as a thank you. If she has more computer problems I might have to do a bit more exercise.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Use "vice" vis-ŕ-vis "instead of"? Very visceral.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

UK google:
Posted by Bruce Kahl on December 11, 2001
In Reply to: Visa versa posted by Steven E. Kern on December 11, 2001
: Visa versa (sp)
: I am familiar with the phrase, and how to use it within the context of a sentence, but where it came from I haven't a clue.
: Any takers?
The phrase is "vice versa" and has a Latin origin.
"Vice" means "in the place of" or "in succession to" as in "The Vice-President would act in place of the President". ( EEK! ). The root of "vice" is "vix" meaning "change".
"Versa" is a form of the Latin verb "vertere" and is a participle. "Vertere" means "to turn".
So "vice versa" means "the position being reversed".
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I just did a little barter today. I picked up $10 worth of green pork chili ingredients from the local mexican supermercado (tomatillos, poblanos, jalapenos, onions, limes, and a big ole pork shoulder). My friend, who can't drive and only has access to boutiquey expensive grocery stores near where he lives, is taking these ingredients plus a couple of his own to make a huge batch of chili. I'll get close to a gallon of OMG delicious chili out of this exchange - sufficient for 8-10 big bowls probably.

It takes about 5 hours to make the chili (not all actually in the kitchen, some is waiting). But the ingredients I got for $10 would be $25-30 for my buddy where he shops. So I get homemade chili for $10 and he gets almost free chili but does all the work. So I guess in this joint venture, I'm providing the capital and he is providing the labor.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
UK google:
Posted by Bruce Kahl on December 11, 2001
In Reply to: Visa versa posted by Steven E. Kern on December 11, 2001
: Visa versa (sp)
: I am familiar with the phrase, and how to use it within the context of a sentence, but where it came from I haven't a clue.
: Any takers?
The phrase is "vice versa" and has a Latin origin.
"Vice" means "in the place of" or "in succession to" as in "The Vice-President would act in place of the President". ( EEK! ). The root of "vice" is "vix" meaning "change".
"Versa" is a form of the Latin verb "vertere" and is a participle. "Vertere" means "to turn".
So "vice versa" means "the position being reversed".
Thanks for the explanation. Now I have a new English word and a clue as to the origin. Nice.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I thought you might have meant a little low key neighborhood hooking, among friends as it were. Ha
Isn't "hooking" like trying to get published as a writer:

"First you do it for a few friends, then you try to make money at it"??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I have worked on friends and relatives PCs for many years. I am often given beers, food, etc in exchange. Many times they give me their old machines when they upgrade. So now I have 9 or 10 PCs and laptops, a couple old Macs, and boxes of unneccesary peripherals laying around. Yard sales start in May.

Tags
barter