LBYM: Do you ever barter, vice pay, for things you want?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Someone in another thread, mentioned bartering her massage services for other kinds of spa services. It made me wonder how much of a "barter economy" is out there, and whether it will increase as people get shorter of cash.

I once made a piece of needlework for someone, in exchange for about $200.00 worth of needlework supplies that the other woman had on hand and wasn't using. I think that may be the only barter I have engaged in as an adult. I could maybe see myself doing some gardening or painting in return for something else.

What have you ever bartered, in return for what? What do you think you could use for barter, if you needed to? Keep it clean...:D

Someone in another thread, mentioned bartering her massage services for other kinds of spa services. It made me wonder how much of a "barter economy" is out there, and whether it will increase as people get shorter of cash.

I once made a piece of needlework for someone, in exchange for about $200.00 worth of needlework supplies that the other woman had on hand and wasn't using. I think that may be the only barter I have engaged in as an adult. I could maybe see myself doing some gardening or painting in return for something else.

What have you ever bartered, in return for what? What do you think you could use for barter, if you needed to? Keep it clean...:D

So much for responses.

Another condition? First it was a $50 limit on splurges, now "keep it clean." Sorry, I dealt with smelly kitty litter in exchange for baseball tickets. That was when the kat was little, the ballpark was new and the team was winning. Now I get $40 for a 4-day weekend's worth of kitty litter in a nicer apt. Now, SO brings books to sell on the net, and gets museum tickets in exchange. King Tut in Sept.

...What have you ever bartered, in return for what? What do you think you could use for barter, if you needed to? Keep it clean...:D
Ahem <clears throat>.
Let me tell you a story about when I was 19 and driving solo with my pussycat from NY to Florida...:whistle:
Just kidding! :LOL:
I don't barter per se. I am part of a network of rural folks who do exchanges of favors. I am usually on the supply side, giving away things I no longer use or need vs letting them go to the landfill. Sometimes I will see free stuff by the roadside and bring it home for that very reason - to give away. :flowers: My recipients include my housecleaner, dh2b's buddy up the hill, and other friends who are having trouble making ends meet. The buddy knows local folks who are in tough spots and gets the stuff to them. When we are in need of a service from these mostly self-employed hardworking people, we find our cost is pretty low. :)

I provide legal, financial and computer consulting in exchange for home repair/renovation/general labor. But it is between family, so maybe not technically bartering? No official arrangement has ever been made (ie - I draft this immigration document for you, you paint my kitchen).

I just recently did a barter . My hairdresser and her children want to learn how to sell on ebay so I'm teaching them for a free hair cut .

Is working for peanuts considered bartering?

I've done lots of favors and received lots of favors in return. For example, I often take professional photos and receive favors in return.

Yes, I trade doing work for the in laws and they buy me lunch ;) Plus as a bonus I get goodies from the garden. :blush:

I have milled lumber on my sawmill and been given a portion of the lumber as payment- not my preferred way of doing business but if I know that I can either sell the lumber or use it on my own project, I'll at least consider it. I'm being asked to do this more and more lately and looking in to ways to sell wood after it dries for 6-9 months to see if I can make a few dollars. Once the wood is stacked and drying, it's not like you have to do a lot while you're waiting but my concern is that I'll get more offers of trade instead of cash for the lumber.

You got me to thinking and I realized It's something I kind of do automatically, it has something to do with me being a cheapskate. I have been trading hunting rights on my land for fresh meat for the past eight years. Last year I traded a 1964 GMC truck for about half of a landscaping job. This year I traded a heavy duty trailer for a crappy farm tractor that I need an engine from and I routinely trade pasture land for grass cutting.

I am always looking to barter......:)

By Amethyst: "LBYM: Do you ever barter, vice pay, for things you want?"

Hmmmm.................. vice pay. Not sure what you are asking. :D I a bit English challenged.

I have been know to do people's taxes in exchange for minor services related specifically to pet sitting and carpentry from friends or relatives.

You mean there are people who don't barter? "Favor" trading is a big one and if you don't think its barter, just try to get someone to do you favors if you never do anything in return. I am pretty sure that was part of the college experience and I still have enough poor friends that bartering is still a big part of my life. You do this for me, I buy you lunch or help you with this or that.

Let's see....... Babysitting, pet sitting, doing household and automobile maintenance and repairs, buying bulk food at Sam's and Costco and stocking their pantry and freezer, keeping the grandkids wardrobed, etc. gets me lotsa "hugs and kisses" from the kids and grandkids. I'm clearly the winner in that barter exchange!

How about food from gardening and hunting and fishing in exchange for looking stuff up on the computer and assisting in tax filing.

Made from scratch pies, breads for truck errands. Steaks on the grill and swimming in return for heavier yard work jobs. Scratch pizza and beer for spring cleaning or painting. These are with my adult children and their friends.

Now, if I can only find some way to barter my cooking for a housecleaner!

CuppaJoe said:
Another condition? First it was a $50 limit on splurges, now "keep it clean."

As if I thought anybody on the Fiercely Independent Rubber Elephant Forum would pay the slightest attention to my conditions....:LOL:

>>Now I get $40 for a 4-day weekend's worth of kitty litter in a nicer apt.

Huh? Who gives you the $40--the cats? Glad to hear they can afford a nicer place to live, anyway.

>>vice pay?

Uh-oh...I see I have allowed bureau-speak to creep into my title. That's what I get for posting during the week. Thanks for making me laugh...I needed it. I have been interviewing for a new job, and a soul-sucking experience it is. "Tell us about a time when you were faced with a challenge, and how you dealt with it." "What do you consider to be your style when dealing with people?" On and on, for an hour, and I could tell the relationship wasn't going to click :nonono:

>>vice pay?

Uh-oh...I see I have allowed bureau-speak to creep into my title. That's what I get for posting during the week. Thanks for making me laugh...I needed it. I have been interviewing for a new job, and a soul-sucking experience it is. "Tell us about a time when you were faced with a challenge, and how you dealt with it." "What do you consider to be your style when dealing with people?" On and on, for an hour, and I could tell the relationship wasn't going to click :nonono:

I still don't understand. What is vice pay? My friend used to cut wood for any woman who would sleep with him, but I think they all considered it simple barter, not vice pay.

Is it this, or something else?

Ha

Just never seem to find any quid-pro-quo opportunities for barter. Still, unofficially I barter all the time. But I call it being "friends and neighbors". Give extra food (e.g., bought too much at farmers mkt. and don't want it to spoil) to neighbors. They reciprocate for same reasons. Take friends to airport and vice versa. It's just what folks do for each other.

Wish I did have a marketable "skill" or "product" I could barter. Love to hear your stories of e.g., game for services or professional services for pet services, etc. I'd love to be doing more of that, but my professional background is so "inbred" that it doesn't often translate to a barterable commodity.

I sense that barter will become more the norm as the recession deepens. Typically, barter is win-win at little or no "official" cost to anyone. How can you lose? Plus, it cements relationships if it's done in anything approaching an equitable manner. I always feel compelled, for instance, to "outdo" our friends generosity. They seem to do the same. Feels good!

Now where did I stash my old copies of Mother Earth News?

I keep triing to get my CPA to take my lake house for a week for a credit at his office. Says he loves the area but can't get the family schedule to work. Well see ...

Back
Top Bottom