Join Early Retirement Today

LBYM: Do you ever barter, vice pay, for things you want?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

LBYM: Do you ever barter, vice pay, for things you want?

Someone in another thread, mentioned bartering her massage services for other kinds of spa services. It made me wonder how much of a "barter economy" is out there, and whether it will increase as people get shorter of cash.

I once made a piece of needlework for someone, in exchange for about $200.00 worth of needlework supplies that the other woman had on hand and wasn't using. I think that may be the only barter I have engaged in as an adult. I could maybe see myself doing some gardening or painting in return for something else.

What have you ever bartered, in return for what? What do you think you could use for barter, if you needed to? Keep it clean...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Someone in another thread, mentioned bartering her massage services for other kinds of spa services. It made me wonder how much of a "barter economy" is out there, and whether it will increase as people get shorter of cash.

I once made a piece of needlework for someone, in exchange for about $200.00 worth of needlework supplies that the other woman had on hand and wasn't using. I think that may be the only barter I have engaged in as an adult. I could maybe see myself doing some gardening or painting in return for something else.

What have you ever bartered, in return for what? What do you think you could use for barter, if you needed to? Keep it clean...
So much for responses.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Another condition? First it was a $50 limit on splurges, now "keep it clean." Sorry, I dealt with smelly kitty litter in exchange for baseball tickets. That was when the kat was little, the ballpark was new and the team was winning. Now I get $40 for a 4-day weekend's worth of kitty litter in a nicer apt. Now, SO brings books to sell on the net, and gets museum tickets in exchange. King Tut in Sept.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...What have you ever bartered, in return for what? What do you think you could use for barter, if you needed to? Keep it clean...
Ahem <clears throat>.
Let me tell you a story about when I was 19 and driving solo with my pussycat from NY to Florida...
Just kidding!
I don't barter per se. I am part of a network of rural folks who do exchanges of favors. I am usually on the supply side, giving away things I no longer use or need vs letting them go to the landfill. Sometimes I will see free stuff by the roadside and bring it home for that very reason - to give away. My recipients include my housecleaner, dh2b's buddy up the hill, and other friends who are having trouble making ends meet. The buddy knows local folks who are in tough spots and gets the stuff to them. When we are in need of a service from these mostly self-employed hardworking people, we find our cost is pretty low.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I provide legal, financial and computer consulting in exchange for home repair/renovation/general labor. But it is between family, so maybe not technically bartering? No official arrangement has ever been made (ie - I draft this immigration document for you, you paint my kitchen).
Old 03-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I just recently did a barter . My hairdresser and her children want to learn how to sell on ebay so I'm teaching them for a free hair cut .
Old 03-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Is working for peanuts considered bartering?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I've done lots of favors and received lots of favors in return. For example, I often take professional photos and receive favors in return.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Is working for peanuts considered bartering?
Volunteering for the Republican Party...?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Volunteering for the Republican Party...?
Not I. They would have to pay my normal hourly rate if they wanted my services.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Yes, I trade doing work for the in laws and they buy me lunch Plus as a bonus I get goodies from the garden.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have milled lumber on my sawmill and been given a portion of the lumber as payment- not my preferred way of doing business but if I know that I can either sell the lumber or use it on my own project, I'll at least consider it. I'm being asked to do this more and more lately and looking in to ways to sell wood after it dries for 6-9 months to see if I can make a few dollars. Once the wood is stacked and drying, it's not like you have to do a lot while you're waiting but my concern is that I'll get more offers of trade instead of cash for the lumber.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

You got me to thinking and I realized It's something I kind of do automatically, it has something to do with me being a cheapskate. I have been trading hunting rights on my land for fresh meat for the past eight years. Last year I traded a 1964 GMC truck for about half of a landscaping job. This year I traded a heavy duty trailer for a crappy farm tractor that I need an engine from and I routinely trade pasture land for grass cutting.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I am always looking to barter......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I am always looking to barter......
Ok...whatcha got?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #16

By Amethyst: "LBYM: Do you ever barter, vice pay, for things you want?"

Hmmmm.................. vice pay. Not sure what you are asking. I a bit English challenged.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #17

I have been know to do people's taxes in exchange for minor services related specifically to pet sitting and carpentry from friends or relatives.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

You mean there are people who don't barter? "Favor" trading is a big one and if you don't think its barter, just try to get someone to do you favors if you never do anything in return. I am pretty sure that was part of the college experience and I still have enough poor friends that bartering is still a big part of my life. You do this for me, I buy you lunch or help you with this or that.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Let's see....... Babysitting, pet sitting, doing household and automobile maintenance and repairs, buying bulk food at Sam's and Costco and stocking their pantry and freezer, keeping the grandkids wardrobed, etc. gets me lotsa "hugs and kisses" from the kids and grandkids. I'm clearly the winner in that barter exchange!
Old 03-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
How about food from gardening and hunting and fishing in exchange for looking stuff up on the computer and assisting in tax filing.

Tags
barter