Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmm... I made a post here, or so I thought.

When I revisited this thread, it's gone. Was it my imagination that I made the post, or was it deleted by moderation?

If so, I would like to know what I said wrong.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hmm... I made a post here, or so I thought.

When I revisited this thread, it's gone. Was it my imagination that I made the post, or was it deleted by moderation?

If so, I would like to know what I said wrong.
The site flaked out on me earlier today in the middle of typing in a reply to a different thread. Amazingly, it did appear, however missing sentences I know I typed in. I was able to edit it and finish the post.
Doo dooo dooo dooooooo...
Old 04-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
That is wonderful! It put an idea into my head to do the same thing the next time I see a waiter or waitress who might be up against it. How do you tell? Maybe by their age, the look on their face or conversation. Actually we generally go 20% but many times this isn't enough and I can tell by the check total. We stick to 20% regardless, but your post changed my thinking. Thanks for the "tip"!
She seemed harried, appeared to be ethnic(stong accent), mature(ie not a student). She just had that "down" look.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Once you tell a few thousand Internet strangers what you plan to do, you're gonna have to follow through and do it...
OK, OK, you got me there
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
MT, are you may aware that there are alternatives between the two costs you mention above? Many privately and some publicly owned parks in the southern US offer very affordable monthly rates, usually catering to snowbirds. Most, but not all, charge you separately for electricity and may limit how many months you can stay. Here are a couple of examples:

$395/mo including electricity (available Sept 1 - March 31 only)
$275/mo plus electricity (includes cable tv and wireless internet)

While these two are in "touristy" areas, you can get an even better deal if you're willing/prefer living out in the sticks:

$200/mo plus electricity (includes all the quiet you can stand)
I figured that there would be different kinds of deals available, depending on location and length of stay. To do much research on specific parks at this point though would be getting ahead of myself. Plenty of time for that when I'm shut up in the RV on a rainy day with nothing other than my cat and an internet connection for company!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with the Andrew Tobias quotes on the difference between frugality and cheapness. I've quoted this before, but someone on these forums some months ago said that she knew she was taking LBYM too far when her "soul felt pinched".
I remember that quote too, and thought it was a great one so I just found it (posted by Antmary): http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post957423
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Once you tell a few thousand Internet strangers what you plan to do, you're gonna have to follow through and do it...
accompanied by a full status report with progress against milestones
Old 04-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Okay - here's another tipping post. If I go to a restauarnt with a walk up counter (Chipotle, Sweet Tomatoes (salad bar), etc.) I save a 20% tip. Is that cheap or frugal?
Old 04-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
Okay - here's another tipping post. If I go to a restauarnt with a walk up counter (Chipotle, Sweet Tomatoes (salad bar), etc.) I save a 20% tip. Is that cheap or frugal?
To me it's frugal. I assume that the walk-up counter is there because some of their patrons want it, so you are certainly OK to make use of it.

I hated to see the old cafeterias like Morrison's disappear. You could see the food, you could get served with no wait and at minumum cost. I don't see my role when I go out as a charity, I am not so well off myself!

Ha
Old 04-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I remember that quote too, and thought it was a great one so I just found it (posted by Antmary): http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post957423
Yes that's it ksr - thanks.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Many advisers and articles are concerned with how long your retirement income and nest egg will last. They plan for spending down of principal and the "trick" is to die before your money runs out. Is anyone here going to LBYM in ER so that they continue the accumulation phase in retirement? You spend less than your income sources and invest the surplus to increase your net worth! Duh! This doesn't assume a certain SWR, just that it's always less than your investments, SS etc produce each year.
Retired for almost 4 years now. We are not doing it (accumulations) by plan, but by habit. We keep to our frugal way, while still enjoying ourselves with extra travel and toys, but still not spending all of our 'income'. We have the luxury of having more than we need, so we can do it. Not sure everyone can, unless you defer FIRE so that you do save 'more' for FIRE accumulation too.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #92
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My apology. I should not have made the attribution to anyone if I was not sure. However, I never meant that either you or Khan were "cheap". Far from it.

No apology needed ! When I am getting thrifty (cheap) I know it instantly because my daughter rolls her eyes and says MOTHER in that tone .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
No apology needed ! When I am getting thrifty (cheap) I know it instantly because my daughter rolls her eyes and says MOTHER in that tone .
Universal language of daughter-hood.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote