Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

It is great to hear that you got the job!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's great that you are starting a new job. Keep a good attitude and do your best at the job. I expect that additional opportunities will turn up before long.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #23

Congratulations, Aaron.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:42 AM   #24

Glad to hear that you have found a job! Congratulations! No shift work anymore? (I think you mentioned long time ago you worked nights.). I used to do rotating shift and that was hard, so I was just wondering.

Anyway, congrats! One thing that is good about having a job is that you can look for a good paying job while you have money coming in.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Glad to hear that you have found a job! Congratulations! No shift work anymore? (I think you mentioned long time ago you worked nights.). I used to do rotating shift and that was hard, so I was just wondering.

Anyway, congrats! One thing that is good about having a job is that you can look for a good paying job while you have money coming in.
I never rotated shifts before and won't have to know. I used to work straight nights 5pm-5am. Now I will be training on 1st 6a-2p for 2 weeks then changing to either 2nd or 3rd. They will determine which shift based on how my training goes because they have different machines on each shift. The machine I seem to be best at after training on each will determine which shift I end up on. Either way it'll be straight shift M-F no rotating so that's good.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

What types of machines? If you don't mind me asking.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #27

Congrats on finding a job. If nothing else it will stop the financial bleeding and give you a recent reference if a better opportunity appears.

I don't know about your area, but around here employers will pay a premium for someone who has established themselves as reliable and is not a "problem child" who takes a lot of time to deal with. That is someone who will show up on time, do their job with little or no supervision, and in general is not a headache to deal with.

That alone will open doors for you.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
What types of machines? If you don't mind me asking.
The company is a paper converter. They said I would be running a rewinder but I won't actually see the machines until tomorrow. I have 8 years experience on a slitter/rewinder so it should be very similar and training should go smoothly.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
The company is a paper converter. They said I would be running a rewinder but I won't actually see the machines until tomorrow. I have 8 years experience on a slitter/rewinder so it should be very similar and training should go smoothly.
Got it, thanks. I'm familiar with slitters.

Good advice above from Walt.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ack. Rotating shifts. Been there, done that, took months for the body to really recover.

I tend to prefer night shift myself, but I seem to recall you have a noisy neighbor who's active during the day. So unless she is gone, maybe you'll want to stick with day shift if you can.

Amethyst

Quote:
I never rotated shifts before and won't have to know. I used to work straight nights 5pm-5am. Now I will be training on 1st 6a-2p for 2 weeks then changing to either 2nd or 3rd. .
Old 08-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Ack. Rotating shifts. Been there, done that, took months for the body to really recover.

I tend to prefer night shift myself, but I seem to recall you have a noisy neighbor who's active during the day. So unless she is gone, maybe you'll want to stick with day shift if you can.

Amethyst
As far as sleep goes me best option is 2nd shift 2p-10p. 3rd shift is no good because everyone is making noise during the day when I would need to sleep. First shift isn't best because I would need to get up by 4am and my neighbor is making a lot of noise until midnight or later.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
Congratulations Aaron! The new job may not be the job of your dreams, but you are back in the labor market and in a better position to respond to other opportunities that may come up. My recommendation would be to approach the new job with a positive spirit and do the very best you can. Your chances of success are greater with a positive attitude.
Im my world of employment we always said and believed it to be true, " the best way to find a better job, is to already have a job". This may open better doors down the road. Congrats Aaron for getting a job!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Im my world of employment we always said and believed it to be true, " the best way to find a better job, is to already have a job". This may open better doors down the road. Congrats Aaron for getting a job!

Aaron, congrats man and good luck to you. The above I have found to be very, very true. I am always out on the lookout for a better job (a la intrcst if you are familiar) and when you have a job you come off (and can be) much more confident than when you really need a job. I'm not familiar with where you are located and what other options you have, but I would continually search for a better paying job and apply every chance I get. Also, talk to your friends, you never know....somebody knows somebody, etc.

Good luck to you.
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #34

Yeah, I did it about 5 times in college. My plan was to use it for spending money.

After a couple weeks I decided that a job at Taco Bell was less unpleasant

As you know, it sounds like easy money until you do it.

Quote:
In my area they pay $20 for the first time each week and $30 for the second. Then there's also a bonus of $10 for the 5th of the month and $20 for the 7th time in one month. Not a lot of people are willing to have needles stuck in their arms for an hour twice a week, every week. There has to be a reasonable incentive.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

When I was in a similar situation many years ago, I took my rent check and spent it to go to bartender's school. I had to borrow money from a good friend so I was not evicted. I made enough money my first year bartending to pay back my friend, quit my "real job", and buy a duplex. I used the bartending money to go back to school and it paid for my college. Some weeks I made over $400 in tips plus $5.50 an hour, and that was over 25 years ago, and NOT in a big city!

You can do it, stick to the plan..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
When I was in a similar situation many years ago, I took my rent check and spent it to go to bartender's school.
LOL, yeah, I was actually going to mention bartending. You will often make about $20/hour cash. I actually still do a little of this these days for fun. Once a month it's fun, but this is still real work....
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #37
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
I am still in my condo. That is the only reason i'm not living in my car. I even got a membership at a 24-hr gym so I could use their private(lockable) showers and bathrooms. Also, because i'm a member, I can legaly park my car in their parking lot anytime of the day or night and sleep. I have very few posessions and can fit everything I need in 3 or 4 duffel bags plus bedding and jackets. I probably would do it if I could sell my condo but i've gotten no offers in 5 months so i'll probably take it off the market after the 6 month contract expires. My new job is 11 miles from home which is reasonable, though not great, so i'll probably stay put since it's cheap.
Hi, I'm new to these forums and your thread is one of the few I've read so far. I just wanted to humbly offer my encouragment. I'm very impressed by how resourceful you are, and how you're standing fast in your determination to reach your retirement dreams.
All the best
mackpal
Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
Rent the condo and find a room.
or get a roommate.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_ View Post
or get a roommate.
Hopefully cute and female.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on getting the job. After taking a short breathing time to get your finances back in shape, I suggest you start thinking of next steps.

Unfortunately, jobs at the salary you mentioned are always going to be highly at risk of being cut in this country. There are two many places overseas that will do them for 1/10 what you are getting paid.

The only way to make yourself more secure is to improve your skills in a type of work that will stay in demand. This can be done but you have to be careful. There are a lot of for profit schools that are targeting people in your situation as a way to make money. Their business model is to sign up their students for loans, push them through school, and then tell them that the loans are the student's problem.

In my experience, larger or even small companies that are well run are usually very supportive of their staff getting training. Many of them will fund training if it can be shown to be related to the current or next job. Even if they don't do this, the human resources people usually have a good handle on what are the best training opportunities in your area and what courses can lead to higher paying jobs. They likely will also know which schools are ripping of their students.

For example, in my area (near Chicago) welders are in high demand. I met a guy about a year ago who was out of work, spent about $7K for a basic welding course and then got hired on at $18.00/hr starting. He's been working 60 hours/week (with time & half for OT) for the last 7 months.