"LBYM" is going to be difficult.

This is a little-appreciated hazard of tallness. I wish I could offer advice, but all I can think of is to get a desk job where you don't need to stand all day. Still, that has its own hazards, namely stiff shoulders and neck, and also causes lower back problems. I deal with the back problems with core strengthening exercise - maybe that would also help in your case.

Amethyst

Just got done with my first shift. My lower back is killing me...BAD! All the equipment is made for people under 5'10" and i'm 6'6 1/2". This may not end well:(

Ask if you can see the occupational health people about finding a more ergonomic setup. That is, after you have shown them how good a job you can do!

aaron, any news?

I'm hangin' in there. Very difficult work. The temp that they brought in after me quit because it was too physical a job. It's pretty tough. Also, it seems like they aren't going to have any interest in hiring me full time no mater how good I am. I'm just a temp. May be 6-9 months but still just a temp. At least it pays the bills for now which is good because I just found out i'll be getting a $500 special assessment for my condo plus a $15/mo increase in fees.

Aaron - Is there any way you can get some education that will take you off the shop floor?

I've attached a link to an article about two people who work in a plant that makes auto fuel injectors. The young woman is an excellent machine operator. The young man started as an operator, and went to school to learn how to program the machines. He has a better future than the woman, because sooner or later the machines will work by themselves and she will have no job.

I realize that your goal is to retire early. I am just worried that you may end up retiring earlier than you want, due to being worn out from hard work. Or from your job going away.

Making It in America - Adam Davidson - The Atlantic

amethyst

Last edited:
Aaron,

Perhaps the good news here is that it may be easier finding a new and better job when you are employed vs unemployed. Hopefully, this will work to your advantage. I know its tough out there, but stay positive, and I'm sure things will get better for you.

Back
Top Bottom