LBYM: Modest splurges that make you feel (sort of) rich?

I do live in a very cold state. It's currently 12 degrees and blowing snow. I think it may possibly dip below zero tonight.

Hence the tropical vacation. Although it will set me back a little on savings (and makes me feel very guilty in a down economy), it's very much needed for my sanity. :crazy:

I'm guessing you live in or near Minnesota. I'm in east-central Wisconsin and that cold is coming my way. It'll be at least -10 windchill when I get out of work thursday morning. I, in my 29 1/2 years, have never owned a beach towel. The closest 'real' beach is in Chicago. Only been there once and only been to any beach 4 times in my life.

I'm guessing you live in or near Minnesota. I'm in east-central Wisconsin and that cold is coming my way. It'll be at least -10 windchill when I get out of work thursday morning. I, in my 29 1/2 years, have never owned a beach towel. The closest 'real' beach is in Chicago. Only been there once and only been to any beach 4 times in my life.

:greetings10: from one arctic tundra to another!

Current temperature is -14F with windchill. I think about buying a beach towel every summer when I swim in the lakes here. But summer is so short usually when I get around to it the season is over.

Try to stay warm!

Hit a 1/2 price sale at goodwill - bought some books and CDs I would NEVER buy at full price and maybe not even at goodwill prices. BUT, at 1/2 off the low, low goodwill price, just had to pull the trigger. Found hardbacks (copyright 2004 and newer) for 1/2 of $1.00 to $2.99. CDs 1/2 of $2.99. Filled up a couple of bags and stayed way under $50. Should provide a month's entertainment. Talk about guilty pleasures!

For us, Disney World is our splurge. It makes us inordinately happy!

Double Strength Vanilla and Other Stuff that Makes Food More Luxurious

[Anyway, where does a person find this double-strength stuff? All my local grocery store had was the regular and the imitation stuff.

2Cor521,

Here is where all the herbs, spices and flavorings in my house come from:

PENZEYS Spices Home Page

They carry a 16-oz jar of double vanilla (which lasts me about 4 years, and baking is among my favorite hobbies) for $46.95 plus s/h. Hey, that's under my arbitrary $50 limit! They carry smaller jars, too. I would put a sample of the 2X vanilla in a little bottle and send it to you, but that would mean asking for your address which I suspect is "not done" on this forum.

I am also a huge fan of their Vietnamese cinnamon. Man, will that stuff make your house smell good.

I have decided that using top-drawer flavorings isn't a luxury, but a way of life. Saying this, I am not disparaging your frugality, at all--I know well what it is to count your money and put stuff back on the shelf. (And I have never flown 1st class, and don't expect to).

Amethyst

Thrift store finds

Koolau: Hit a 1/2 price sale at goodwill .... Talk about guilty pleasures

Thrift stores ! One of my favorite places to prowl! I like to paint wood furniture with wild designs in acrylic paint. Where do I find wood furniture? Thrift stores. Of course most furniture these days is pressed-board or even plastic junk, but you can still find some wood, if you're willing to do repairs and refinishing.

Koolau: Hit a 1/2 price sale at goodwill .... Talk about guilty pleasures

Thrift stores ! One of my favorite places to prowl! I like to paint wood furniture with wild designs in acrylic paint.

That always seemed fun to me. Pictures?

Just back from a used bookstore selling off it's remainders after selling the business:

Your Money or Your Life - haven't read yet
The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need - ditto
The Oriental Rug Lexicon - great book, a second copy
Antique Kilims of Anatolia - visual candy
Mary Engelbreit's Outdoor - Christmas is coming for my sister
Larousse Gastronomique - ditto for the BIL cook

$44 - kinda a big splurge, but some perfect presents and goodies for us too.

Painted Box pictures...I think

These seemed to upload, but I'm not sure...here goes...

Attachments

• Painted Box Front.JPG
    Painted Box Front.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 0
  • Painted Box Left Side.JPG
    Painted Box Left Side.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Painted Box Right Side.JPG
    Painted Box Right Side.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 0
  • Painted Box Top.JPG
    Painted Box Top.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 0
These seemed to upload, but I'm not sure...here goes...

Cool! I love the wild colors. I have to do this.
We have plenty of old ratty wood chairs to experiment on. Thanks!

Do you put anything over the acrylic paint? Do you prime first? With what?

a six pack of fine Belgian ale with 8-9% alcohol.
As good for sipping as a good scotch.

thanks for the compliments on my painted box. :flowers:

Just think of what I could do with my time if I were FIREd. We'd be crowded out of our house by painted furniture, and I'd get arrested for sneaking into other people's houses and painting their furniture while they're asleep :LOL:

Oh, and I'd change my name to FIRE Opal :LOL:

Do you put anything over the acrylic paint? Do you prime first? With what?

Martha, the box was painted several ugly colors--it had obviously been a child's toy box in its day. I painted over that with several coats of white acrylic gesso, which is a primer.

With lacquered furniture, I would remove the lacquer first with a refinishing product, then sand, then paint with gesso.

Back
Top Bottom