Join Early Retirement Today

LBYM: Modest splurges that make you feel (sort of) rich?
Old 03-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

LBYM: Modest splurges that make you feel (sort of) rich?

Like many, we are LBOM for the sake of goals that are important to us, and we're concerned about the terrible economy. I think we all need a little splurge now and then to remind us what splurging feels like.

For example, I occasionally buy a bottle of the latest liqueur or cordial (currently waiting for Fragoli to hit the local stores), or a beautiful potted plant (even though it will never flower again after I get it home). These are $35-$40 splurges that make me feel a little bit rich. A thrifty friend sometimes parts with $40 to get her nails done with fancy painted-on designs. Not my thing -- but it makes her feel great.

What's your modest splurge? It has to be something you absolutely do not need, and it can't be something the kids had to have, or a last-minute gift you had to rush out to buy. Also, you have to get pleasure out of proportion to the cost of the splurge. Just to be arbitrary, I'm putting a $50 limit (we are, after all, talking LBYM).
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Godiva's truffles... mmmm.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Seafood splurge - lobster, shrimp, scallops. Steak for dh2b.
Cooked at home, of course.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Seafood splurge - lobster, shrimp, scallops. Steak for dh2b.
Cooked at home, of course.
See like I told you in the other thread. He won.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
See like I told you in the other thread. He won.
Ah, that went right over my head...good one!
But who said I'll be doing all the cooking? I have this bright yellow apron he could wear...
Now back to our regular programming.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Currently converting DW and my tandem to and electric assisted bicycle. This splurge is costing a pretty penny, and it is projects like this that make feel rich. Spend what ever it takes to finish because we have the money, and will make our biking more pleasurable.
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Manicures, pedicures

Dinner at a favorite restaurant

New books

Fresh flowers

Such is the state of my personal economy that these items, formerly taken for granted, are now luxuries to be indulged in rarely.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Chocolate or other "decadent" food (cheese, prosciutto, etc...)

Right now I am splurging on a new "urban" vegetable garden setup (new self-watering containers, new "homemade" green house setup, etc...). Probably a few hundred bucks total but knowing I can grow some food in those uncertain times sure makes me fell rich.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:42 PM   #9

I read once in a book on the Depression in the 1930's that the most common splurges were liquor/beer for men and lipstick or other small cosmetic for women.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I bought a new game for my Wii - - "Endless Ocean", that was recommended here. It simulates scuba diving and I think it is lots of fun and relaxing. $30

When we were on vacation in Missouri (I know, vacations are not LBYM ), I realized that I don't own any gloves. They are not needed in New Orleans. So, I bought a nice pair of stretchy one-size-fits-all gloves at a surplus store for $1.39. I COULD have just put my hands in my coat pockets for a couple of days.

Guess that's about it for the past month. I didn't count food splurges because I don't really try to pinch pennies with groceries.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Seafood splurge - lobster, shrimp, scallops

MMmmm....and guilt free, too!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Seafood for me, too. I consider cosmetics a necessity so not in the "splurge" category.

Last week I bought a spring/fall coat at Macy's. It was on clearance and with my coupon it ended up being $20. Also got a great pair of brown leather boots, which I had wanted for months, for $34 (it was originally $180). So yeah, I've been splurgin' quite a bit!
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
Currently converting DW and my tandem to and electric assisted bicycle. This splurge is costing a pretty penny, and it is projects like this that make feel rich. Spend what ever it takes to finish because we have the money, and will make our biking more pleasurable.
I splurged last Spring and bought a Rans Fusion crank forward bike (corvette blue).

I also splurged in January and threw a surprise 85th birthday party for my Mom.

We've also spent $1400 per month to rent a townhouse this past year. Our house didn't sell so we are moving back (40 miles away). We were just talking about how it will feel good to move back and start saving the rent money again.

2008 was an expensive year, but worth it.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

A care package from Louisiana - near Easter time it is Heavenly Hash(the ones with the almonds).

Of course this trip she bought five boxes(24 each).

heh heh heh - up here - it's a trip to Red Lobster once or twice a year.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Clinique or Estee Lauder lipsticks
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Also, you have to get pleasure out of proportion to the cost of the splurge. Just to be arbitrary, I'm putting a $50 limit (we are, after all, talking LBYM).
I was with you until that $50 limit.

For the past eight or so years we've been planning to fix our outdoor back lanai and to even out the lava-rock steps below it. The lanai looked like it was poured by a roller-coaster designer, with odd slopes and dips in it to channel the rainwater in a manner which must have seemed like the right thing to do at the time but was just giving the rain a big puddle to grow mold. The steps were uneven and badly sloped with risers as tall as 13". Now that there's a recession, we were finally able to attract a quality concrete contractor. The old lanai was jackhammered out and the lava-rock steps have been made much more level.

Below the $50 limit? Lunch at Thai Kitchen in Waipahu. It was one of the first places we dined at when we got here 20 years ago. Over the years we've been able to watch the original owner retire, see her grandchildren grow up, and watch her neice take over the business.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

$50.00 limit, you gotta be kidding, I live in a city.

Hadn’t bought an orchid since Aug. 2007; dang thing never went out of bloom, just kept putting out spikes and still has three flowers in bloom with a couple of buds left for later; will it never end? Since I didn’t hire the cleaning lady’s replacement in Dec. and made other reductions, I allowed myself $100 for the orchid show. Came in at $93.78 for five plants, a pot, admission, lunch, tips, pepsi on coffee break, and a buck for the plant hotel.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #18

I'm off drinks of any kind until after June, so after June it will be a nice bottle of brandy.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Weekly 90 minute massage.

High end coffee and teas.
Gpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #20
Administrator

Full body massage. (Massage Envy - $50).

Get there 30 minutes early and sit and listen to music from my iPod and have a cup of herbal tea in their relaxation room, then walk next door for an ice cream before heading home.

Tags
lbym