Join Early Retirement Today

Re: LBYM: weeHouses vs. McMansions
Old 06-19-2006, 04:39 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Mobile homes are a pretty cheap way to live, except in states where tornados and hurricanes have a tendency to go.
Pssst! Wellesley!!! Roll bars...

heh heh heh heh heh heh

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2006, 04:57 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Is it that people put mobile homes where tornados and hurricanes happen, or do tornados and hurricanes happen as a result of mobile homes?
... seems pretty clear that it's the mobile homes which attract tornados and hurricanes.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have a 10X14 painted metal tool shed in the back yard - came with six sunken iron pipes and three tie down aircraft cables.

And I'm near the local tornado siren - they test the stupid thing once a week - although I think the season's over.

heh heh heh - I hope.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:00 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in northern Oklahoma - right in the middle of Tornado Alley. Which is why I have a storm cellar right outside the back door.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:33 AM   #25

My house is, according to the dept of assessments, 1106 square feet. That's because they have it listed as a 1 1/2 story, and they only count half of the upstairs footage. It's a long, narrow house, almost like a free-standing rowhouse, with a big dormer off the front and a big one off the back. If any of y'all remember "Mama's Family", it's kind of like that house, just narrower. I'd say that in actuality, about 90% of the upstairs is full ceiling height, and the part where the eaves drop down is where most of the closets and storage space are tucked in, and in one of the rooms, there's still enough room to put a bed under the eave. Now certain sexual positions might be out of the question, but it's still useable!

Anyway, in actuality I'd say there's more like 1500 square feet total. I also have an enclosed porch that has electricity but no heat, which is 11x7, which they don't count. I've thought about adding onto the house to make it bigger, but then I really think about it and ask myself why. It's not that the house is too small, but we just don't make effective use of the available space. There are two rooms upstairs that really aren't even used. One of them collects junk, and the other is a combination of furniture we don't use, a place to put some of the plants in the winter, and a rumpus room for the cats. And downstairs, the 11x7 side porch has collected mostly junk. And the front porch, which was enclosed and divided off into a walk in closet and a small office, again has mostly junk, Christmas stuff, clothes that don't get worn much, etc.

If I really did some major cleaning and throwing stuff away/have a yard sale/donate it/etc, and maybe did some minor remodeling, I could probably make much more effective use out of the existing space instead of coming up with these grandiose addition plans that end up doubling the square footage. I think the only thing I REALLY want to do, at some point, is add a second bathroom.

I never really did want a McMansion, although as a younger kid I thought farmhouses and Victorian and Tudor style houses were cool, with their turret rooms, all their nooks and crannies, and especially the big styles that had walkable attics with dormers that could be converted into more living space. I'm the type of guy though, that would rather have a modest house with a big yard, than a big house on a tiny yard. In many single family home communties I see these days, you really don't have much more privacy than you would in a townhouse or a condo.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:40 AM   #26

Oh, and as for those little 800-square foot things being $160,000, that is just ridiculous! What the hell are they made out of?! Just as a reference point, my garage is 960 square feet (24x40 feet), and ended up costing about $28,000 total. A great deal of that cost was in the foundation, which had to be re-engineered and built up because of a high water table. And obviously, being a garage instead of a house it's unfinished inside, and there are no utilities, although that cost did include running underground wire 175 feet from the house to the garage, so I can hook it up later.

But still, what would it probably cost if I wanted to finish it off and turn it into living space? Maybe double the original cost or a bit more? So then, for $60K I'd have a 960 square foot house, versus $160K for an 800 square foot one. I guess part of the expense of that wee house thing might be all that glass area. I know glass and big picture windows aren't cheap. And if they use miniature, space-saving appliances, that's going to get expensive. And I'd imagine that they use expensive, high-quality wood in the construction.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:50 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I don't live all that far from the Wee house on Pequaywan lake. The house in the picture is not the house on Pequaywan. It is very, very high end so that is why the per square foot cost is so high.

You can get a cheaper Wee house that isn't so fancy.

I just read an article in the WSJ about the declining popularity of McMansions, which the WSJ defines as a house more than 5000 square feet on a relatively small lot in a development of similar sized homes. Apparently the demand for these types of homes has dropped dramatically, with some areas of the country seeing big price declines. On the other hand, more modest homes, in the 2000 square foot range, in the same areas are holding their price or even seeing increases and selling quickly.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:01 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I just read an article in the WSJ about the declining popularity of McMansions, which the WSJ defines as a house more than 5000 square feet on a relatively small lot in a development of similar sized homes. Apparently the demand for these types of homes has dropped dramatically, with some areas of the country seeing big price declines. On the other hand, more modest homes, in the 2000 square foot range, in the same areas are holding their price or even seeing increases and selling quickly.
Wonder what role the spike in heating and cooling costs for one of those barns is playing in the dropoff? I would think it's a siginifcant factor.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:13 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the article mentioned the increases in natural gas and electric costs, as well as property taxes as being a reason for the decline in demand for McMansions.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote