Half 16 13.11%
More Than Half 6 4.92%
More Than Three Quarters 4 3.28%
All That Plus A Bag Of Chips 46 37.70%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'm 43, been retired for 3 years and loving it.
You have done well! Have fun getting your hands dirty fixing and restoring cars.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
You have done well! Have fun getting your hands dirty fixing and restoring cars.
And chasing my wife around the house! The kids are at school all day.

missionfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Meadbh: Not sure what treadmill you think I'm on? Retired for almost 5 years and having a ball. Cheers.
Sorry Danmar, I know you are retired. Loop Lawyer is the one on the treadmill. When you were a bank executive, did you feel pressure to maintain a certain image, or had that level of spending become natural? I presume that, unless you were born with a silver spoon, your spending must have started out modestly and increased over the course of your career.

I think my personal spending in inflation adjusted dollars is lower now than it was in my 20s.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #184
Moderator Emeritus

It turns out that the $300K Lamborghini-bashing incident was more about a business dispute than a complaint about the car company. And it was a used car worth "only" about $80K:
The Other Side to the Lamborghini Story - The Wealth Report - WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
But they are an infection risk, and the best way for an MD to dress while seeing patients is short sleeves (facilitating handwashing up to the elbows).
After spending a week hanging around a hospital, I learned to look for that white coat.

The guy in short sleeves was cleaning the rooms & mopping the corridors.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
After spending a week hanging around a hospital, I learned to look for that white coat.

The guy in short sleeves was cleaning the rooms & mopping the corridors.
That guy was practicing infection control.

According to this article: White coats may not carry an increased infection risk | Cambridge Medicine Journal
Quote:
a study carried out in Denver, Colorado has in fact concluded that white coats carry no more risk of infection than regularly laundered standardized short sleeve uniforms which would be seen as the gold standard for infection control.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #186
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe Loop Lawyer should have tried impressing his clients with a short sleeved shirt!
Old 03-18-2011, 11:30 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Well, as the topic has drifted towards infection spread by unwashed hands, and I remembered reading something about this in the past about this subject, decided to look it up. Found this and this.

Following are some excerpts.
At the time, the Vienna Lying-In hospital had two maternity wards, one staffed by midwives, and the other by medical students supervised by staff physicians. The mortality rate among women attended by midwives was approximately 2-3%; however, the students’ ward had a rate of 10% or more. While hospital administrators blamed the high mortality rates on poverty, this could not explain the difference between the two wards. Instead, Semmelweiss believed that the students, who received much of their medical training in the autopsy room, were carrying infections from cadavers they dissected to the women in the ward...

More recently, Chang and associates traced an epidemic of yeast infection in a neonatal intensive care unit to the failure of some hospital staff members to wash their hands after playing with their pet dogs, who were carriers of the yeast (New England Journal of Medicine, 338(11), 706-711, 1998). Similarly, Moolenaar et al. suggested that an outbreak of a bloodstream infection in another neonatal ICU was due to bacteria carried under the long or artificial fingernails of some hospital nurses (Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology, 21(2), 80-85, 2000)...

Many observational studies, mainly conducted in intensive care units, show low rates of hand washing, especially among doctors.4 Bartzokas et al observed that, despite frequent patient contacts, senior doctors washed their hands only twice during 21 hours of ward rounds.5 Though doctors spend less time than nurses in direct patient contact and may think that they need to decontaminate their hands less often, they have many transient contacts and move from ward to ward. The same is true for phlebotomists, physiotherapists, radiographers, and various technicians.

Self reporting overestimates compliance. After unobtrusive observation of doctors to obtain a baseline hand washing rate, Tibballs asked a sample to estimate their own hand washing rates before patient contact. Their perceived rate of 73% (range 50%-95%) contrasted sharply with the observed frequency of just 9%.6 Pritchard and Raper were astonished that “doctors can be so extraordinarily self-delusional about their behaviour.”
Oh, please doctors...
Old 03-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #188
Give me a forum ...

We're baaad!

Old 03-19-2011, 03:26 AM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Sorry Danmar, I know you are retired. Loop Lawyer is the one on the treadmill. When you were a bank executive, did you feel pressure to maintain a certain image, or had that level of spending become natural? I presume that, unless you were born with a silver spoon, your spending must have started out modestly and increased over the course of your career.

I think my personal spending in inflation adjusted dollars is lower now than it was in my 20s.
Did not have to be a big spender to impress my associates. Ostentation was not viewed as a advantage or a detriment. I probably would have been at the lower end of the spending scale. Yes, spending started lower then gradually increased as I earned and saved more. it really took off when I retired and realized I didn't have to LBYM any more. Also finalized my divorce which gave more certainty to my fixed and future expenses. I certainly was not born with the spoon.
Like many of you on this forum, I went to the equivalent of state schools( all degrees part time while working) and completely paid my own way. Because I attach a very high premium to education, and because it is more expensive now, I have paid for my daughter's education to the masters level. I would support her education further if that's what she wanted.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #190
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop Lawyer View Post
<<Maybe you should recruit a couple of the top students from SR state. They could show some of your 300K boys how to get by in life without over-paying for everything, getting by on less, chasing status and maybe end up with a few bucks in savings at the end of the year.>>

Those of us who own the firm don't hire anyone to show us how to "get by in life" or "get by on less." We don't care to "get by" at all. We live very well, thank you. Could say more but will decline.

<<Besides any school you or your family attends [sic], does this also apply to your neighborhood, gym, country club, church, clothing store, and circle of friends. Just wondering when it would be appropriate for me to use.>>

No comment (here).
I think we have just decided on a different image that we want to display in life. I decided that to be financially comfortable and not flaunt it is a more tasteful approach. After reading your posts, I am very happy with my decision.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #191

I could spend 300k in one year but after that year I'd have everything I ever wanted. Don't know what I'd do the second year.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Here you go Walt ! This condo is across from a beautiful beach and near a lot of nice restaurants .Plus easy access from Tampa airport .
Home for Sale at 1801 Gulf N Dr # 228 Bradenton Beach FL - Real Estate Listings - MLS #M5819328 - Realtor.com®
I can see something like this in my future.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #193
Recycles dryer sheets

I did a similar exercise a few years ago where I tried to think of ways to spend $40,000 per year but it still ended up sounding somewhat construed. I couldn't do it. $300,000 would be another two doublings.

I'm sure it's possible to learn how. After all, it's also possible to learn how to spend less.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #194
Moderator Emeritus

Most definitely we could spend $300K per year and enjoy every penny of it. And I wouldn't feel a whit of guilt about it, because I imagine we would have worked hard for it.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #195

It would take some doing, but I could definitely retrain myself.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Nah, spending money is easy. Haven't we read about how lottery winners blew through tens of million in just a few years? They spent way more than $300K/year effortlessly, my friends.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #197
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Because I attach a very high premium to education, and because it is more expensive now, I have paid for my daughter's education to the masters level. I would support her education further if that's what she wanted.
I always worry about the affluenza and entitlement aspects of this. I wish I had a better answer for the situation, both with kids & grandkids.

I didn't pay for either of my degrees up front, but I paid for them afterward through indentured servitude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Nah, spending money is easy. Haven't we read about how lottery winners blew through tens of million in just a few years? They spent way more than $300K/year effortlessly, my friends.
I think the key is a large entourage.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Seems as much thoughtlessly as anything else. As ditsy as even I can be as a LBYMer, there isn't much I buy without consideration and research.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:08 AM   #199

I do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Usually around $35 but most Doctors are so cheap they try to get them from the hospitals for free !
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:04 AM   #200

I think I could live in scrubs all day, and I've never worked in the medical field. Man, those are comfortable.