Votes: 16 13.1%
  • More Than Half

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • More Than Three Quarters

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • All That Plus A Bag Of Chips

Votes: 46 37.7%

• Total voters
I'd take my usual lifestyle and turn three of the knobs to 11.

Motorsport. I raced off-road motorcycles back in the day, ran time trials in a sports car later. With 300k I'd build a shop, then a car or 3, get transport and race. Would hire as much one on one training for driving, car set up and car building as I needed. Travel the world to run on the legendary tracks. When I ran out of prep / repair work on the race car(s), I'd switch to restoring some classic performance automobile(s) from my youth, again hiring training and expertise as needed.

Flying. Soaring actually. Buy glider and trailer, rent instruction. Want a foot launchable microlight sailplane so I can fly with my hang gliding buddies, and a full sized glider to get high and go far in. Replace gliders with higher performance wings as my skill advanced. Have a two place glider so I could give rides. Travel the world to fly at the legendary spots.

I'd want to do flying and racing year round so that probably means at least two homes to be used as the season dictates. Any one region isn't going to have races every weekend, so I'd have to hire someone to haul my car transporter to wherever next weekend's race is then fly in on friday.

Cooking. Started cooking at 13, got pretty good at it. I'd tempt the local up and coming chefs to prepare meals in my kitchen but only if they also used it as a teaching opportunity to fill in the considerable gaps in my technique set.

I'd take my usual lifestyle and turn three of the knobs to 11.

Motorsport. I raced off-road motorcycles back in the day, ran time trials in a sports car later. With 300k I'd build a shop, then a car or 3, get transport and race. Would hire as much one on one training for driving, car set up and car building as I needed. Travel the world to run on the legendary tracks. When I ran out of prep / repair work on the race car(s), I'd switch to restoring some classic performance automobile(s) from my youth, again hiring training and expertise as needed.

Flying. Soaring actually. Buy glider and trailer, rent instruction. Want a foot launchable microlight sailplane so I can fly with my hang gliding buddies, and a full sized glider to get high and go far in. Replace gliders with higher performance wings as my skill advanced. Have a two place glider so I could give rides. Travel the world to fly at the legendary spots.

I'd want to do flying and racing year round so that probably means at least two homes to be used as the season dictates. Any one region isn't going to have races every weekend, so I'd have to hire someone to haul my car transporter to wherever next weekend's race is then fly in on friday.

Cooking. Started cooking at 13, got pretty good at it. I'd tempt the local up and coming chefs to prepare meals in my kitchen but only if they also used it as a teaching opportunity to fill in the considerable gaps in my technique set.
Now you're talking. Sounds like a great way to spend $300k. Actually I think you might need a liitle more than $300k.

I think I could live in scrubs all day, and I've never worked in the medical field. Man, those are comfortable.
Yes, scrubs look really comfy.

But do I have to touch the icky patients? :blush:

Actually I think you might need a little more than $300k.
+1.

"Things" are more expensive than they look.

I just looked at the article posted earlier about Ellison's yacht costing $13M/yr to maintain. I admit I wouldn't have thought the maintenance would cost that much; my guess was off by a factor of 5.

Yes, scrubs are very comfy.

24 hour shifts, not so much. :(

Now you're talking. Sounds like a great way to spend $300k. Actually I think you might need a liitle more than $300k.
The beauty of my plan is that because it's an extension of the way I've already lived, it's enjoyable at any income level at or higher than what I was earning when I retired. I'd fit my dream to the budget.

In auto racing, for example, one can start in Spec Miata for 20 - 30k (includes tools, trailer, tow vehicle) and have yearly costs under 10k. Or one can compete in classes where the paddock area has many semi trailers sporting German auto manufacturer colors and logos for considerably more per year.

Yeah, I'd like to fly a carbon fiber sailplane with all the latest electronics that costs almost 100k. Many pilots think the Schweizer - SGS 1-26, an aluminum and cloth craft built between '54 and '79 is the most fun to fly. Might be something to that, as more I-26s were built than any other gilder in the world. Ultra high tech wing or tried and true classic costing less than 10k, they're both flying to me, so I'd buy what I could afford and wring grins out of it.

My original post mentioned traveling world wide to legendary sites. Certainly that can get expensive. But if I live in Nevada, traveling to New Mexico technically is 'world wide'.

One of the reasons I was able to retire early is that I was able to pursue my various pleasures while keeping to a budget. I wonder if it's the sign of a sick mind that I can also do it with a fantasy budget.

Yes, scrubs are very comfy.

24 hour shifts, not so much. :(

Eeek! No wonder there are so many medical mistakes in this country! My nurse friends' 12 hour shifts and then overtime are brutal, and she is "just" a nurse!
Sorry, off topic.

I could probably do it just by drinking expensive liquors and smoking pricier cigars. But when you factor in the guilt I'd feel from not donating it to more worthy causes I think my overall satisfaction would go down rather than up.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem spending money on myself. But spending 100x as much for something in order to get only a 2 or 5 or even 10 fold improvement just feels like a waste rather than a luxury.

I think it boils down to what you are used to. I find I like "good enough" things. I would not enjoy a Rolls or Bentley, I like red wines that meet my palate. Any vintage stuff is lost on me because I like a good 3-year old vintage. People treat me to an 8-year old vintage and I try to be polite but it is not for me. Now Cognac/Tecilla is diferent! But 8-year old is still good enough.

I think it boils down to what you are used to. I find I like "good enough" things. I would not enjoy a Rolls or Bentley, I like red wines that meet my palate. Any vintage stuff is lost on me because I like a good 3-year old vintage. People treat me to an 8-year old vintage and I try to be polite but it is not for me. Now Cognac/Tecilla is diferent! But 8-year old is still good enough.

Generally agree but with a little creativity.....Wouldn't mind owning a supercar for a while, upgrage some real estate? many other possibilities if you let your imagination go.

Generally agree but with a little creativity.....Wouldn't mind owning a supercar for a while, upgrage some real estate? many other possibilities if you let your imagination go.

I used to think kcowan was the richest Canuck on the forum......until Danmar came along. :LOL:

After getting better with 3D software, I could see myself spending a pretty penny every year to upgrade software and hardware to do 3D rendering and animation. My own personal Pixar. :D

I used to think kcowan was the richest Canuck on the forum......until Danmar came along. :LOL:
Yep; the old neighborhood just isn't what it used to be is it?

Ha

That's OK Danmar, I like hearing your perspective. After all, a girl can dream, can't she? :LOL:

Kinda fun giving the minority perspective on LBYM's topics.
Yes, you ricos are more than welcome by me. Got to balance the Marxists who are much in evidence lately.

Ha

Kinda fun giving the minority perspective on LBYM's topics.

The thing that unites the dot-com millionaires, real estate moguls, bigwig execs, gumment pensioners, ex-militaries, cheap bastards, and/or all of the above is FIRE!

Yes, you ricos are more than welcome by me. Got to balance the Marxists who are much in evidence lately.

Ha

Attachments

• groucho-marx.jpg
    groucho-marx.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 0
Not sure what a rico is?

A double-click on the term 'ricos' in his post brought up this definition and link in my Chrome browser:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-2536601165.html

Ricos. By the early 1800s sheep were the most important asset of nearly all well-off New Mexicans. Moreover, a small cadre of families dominated the export trade. In 1835, when herders sent eighty thousand sheep south, a single family—the Chavez brothers—possessed almost half of these animals. The ricos, economic elites, dominated the New Mexican economy through much of the early nineteenth century.

I learn something everyday here - now only if I could remember it!

-ERD50

I think the really rich stay quiet in this forum. After all, why invite abuse?

But I will easily concede to Danmar among those Canucks visible... ;)

Back
Top Bottom