Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Travel. I just returned from a superb 3-week bike trip in France with a friend to celebrate our milestone birthdays this year. We were in Normandy just before the heads of state arrived for the D-Day anniversary, plus some other regions, and a few days in Paris. During last winter, I had a brief escape to Colombia. Eldercare is making travel a lot trickier, however.

I'll splurge on a good meal but I like to cook, so I don't eat out that often while at home.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2020 View Post
We LBYM but take at least one vacation per year with family - have been building memories for last sixteen years. Someday when kids are on their own, we'll miss them so much and those memories will keep us busy in our later years. I'll look for the deals, rent a place with kitchen but we'll go out somewhere. We're going to Europe this summer.

+1 DH and I have done the same. Now, in our "later years" we've traveled without DS, but just spent a week with him and our new DIL visiting Northern California (SF, Tahoe, and relatives in the Central Valley).

We usually rent places with a kitchen (love Airbnb); eat out only once a day at the most; and, generally, travel in an LBYM fashion.

Doing so allows us to take MORE trips..........far more important to us than traveling in a luxurious fashion. Most of what we want to see is usually free (or can be seen with an NPS Access Pass) or has a reasonable admission charge (eg. museums, historical sites).

For us, it's choosing quantity over caviar.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Travel. Un-freaking-believable what a trip to Europe will set you back. 5 nights in Vienna? OMG!

But - what else did we save it for?
Old 06-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
With 71 on the horizon, 21 yrs of ER under my belt, I will loosen up and party. After the IRS takes their cut.

remodeling here and there, food, travel and maybe a new vehicle.

heh heh heh - still back check with ORP and FireCalc to stay in the ballpark. If I screw up and pass with too much on the table - perhaps a nice headstone so pigeons can sit and poop.
Now, that's a nice thought!
ejman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

So many posters say travel is the main or one of their splurges.

We have so many travel lovers in our extended family. My parents and my siblings all love to travel. One of my nieces and her fiance are doing a long trip by bicycle through part of Europe, and on their own and not as part of any tour. I was surprised when learned of the length of their trip, and they said they both took time off without pay.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Travel. Un-freaking-believable what a trip to Europe will set you back. 5 nights in Vienna? OMG!

Well, how about this? Netflix! Six (6) DVD's out-at-a-time! $32.99 a month! OMG! Don't have the time to spend 5 nights in Vienna.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Well, how about this? Netflix! Six (6) DVD's out-at-a-time! $32.99 a month! OMG! Don't have the time to spend 5 nights in Vienna.
May I get some travel videos instead? Rick Steves' or Maxa's DVDs please?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
LOL!

NW-Bound - Hulu has all the Rick Steve's videos.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if Rick Steves or Maxa has any new DVDs out. The last time I watched Rick Steves was 5 or 6 years ago, and at that point I had seen them all.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:03 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
Sometimes I keep the library books past the due date!
LOL, love the humor!
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
....I am not a picky eater, but when eating out I like to go to places that do things differently or better than we can at home. We do not eat out just to eat out, and both of us like to cook.

And by the way, your spending is going down just like Bernicke's study showed. I think mine will too.
Yes one of the problems is that DW is a fantastic cook, so eating out must at least match or exceed eating at home.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
Sometimes I keep the library books past the due date!

I view that as a charitable contribution to the library system!
Old 06-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I view that as a charitable contribution to the library system!
That's also my view when I fail to return items on time. The fine of a few dollars goes to support the library, and is not a waste.

Still, I prefer to support the library by buying donated or discarded books that it sells; a hardcover goes for $1, while a paperback is $0.50. I get something, and they get something, so it is win-win. If it turns out to be a book I do not want to finish or if I do not want to keep it, I just donate it back so they can turn it around and make another buck.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #114
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't posted on this thread because I wasn't sure of definitions, specifically "LBYM" and "splurge".

So far my spending has been less than my dividends + pension every year, between 2.0%-2.6% of my portfolio. So, I guess that meets the definition of LBYM. Still, it seems a little uncomfortable to say that. I do NOT feel like I am being very frugal any more, though I was during the accumulation phase.

Now, what is a "splurge"? Dictionary.com defines it as "an ostentatious display, especially an extravagantly expensive one.". Argh. Display? That doesn't have a nice, homey ring to it, does it. I am not sure that I splurge on anything, using that definition because I am more of an introvert than that. So, for purposes of this post maybe I will redefine "splurge" to mean "spending a lot of money on something that is not really necessary". OK.

Using that definition, I tend to splurge on:

(1) health related expenses:
exercise equipment
dental work; an implant instead of a bridge
good great food
top notch gym

(2) consumer items
kitchen gadgets from Amazon like my trash bag holder or hot water boiler
Electronics (TV, Kindles, iPad/iPhones, laptop, and above all, video game consoles).
cheap art, although I have filled my house with it so haven't bought any more for a few years by now.

(3) occasional/rare home improvements; specifically my wonderful new door.

That's about it. We do not have the travel bug, so the only time we have traveled since retiring has been our evacuation for Hurricane Isaac in 2012. That probably wasn't a splurge, though, since emergency management personnel told us that evacuation was advisable/necessary. (sigh)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We do not have the travel bug, so the only time we have traveled since retiring has been our evacuation for Hurricane Isaac in 2012...
You once wrote that you wanted to spend a week or two in DC to visit all the museums on the mall. I guess you still have not done that trip.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You once wrote that you wanted to spend a week or two in DC to visit all the museums on the mall. I guess you still have not done that trip.
Nope, not yet. I guess I didn't want to do it as much as I thought, or I would have by now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I guess I didn't want to do it as much as I thought...
Obviously not.

The husband of one of my aunts does not care to travel. He said that wherever he went, it was just buildings and people.

And he is not wrong.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #118

Um... The obvious. Dryer sheets
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

I will be the noisy one. What did it cost if you don't mind saying?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Oh yes we can. LBYM is a mathematical concept. If revenues > expenses, you are LBYM.
Yep, and Bill Gates is most probably the poster child for LBYM.

I just read his NW is ~ 76B. At a nice conservative 2% WR, that would be....

Over $4 Million a day!

It's not like ordering the most expensive wine at the restaurant every night is going to dent that. Heck, you could get in your private jet, and fly to the vineyard and have plenty of change left.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote