Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

just spent plenty on a new book and a slip at the marina
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The last time we were in Paris, in late 2007, we stayed at a small hotel that I found on Venere, I think. My wife had been retired for some time, and we used up all the good deals and credits that she had accumulated during her work travel, so we stayed at low-cost hotels that did not conflict with our LBYM philosophy.

We paid less than €100 I am sure, maybe €90. The hotel was an old building, had perhaps 20-30 rooms on maybe 3 floors, and was odd-shaped so no two rooms were alike. Our room was small and narrow, the size of a closet in many new US homes. However, its bathroom and bed were clean, and that was all we needed. We were out on the streets in the city all day anyway.

By the way, in all our travel, we have not brought back bed bugs with us. Fingers crossed!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
How long is your extension cord?
About as long as the gas pump we last used a bit over a year ago was
Last month we used it to travel to CA, back through the SW and back to MN.
Fuel cost us $3
Old 06-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Nice! I wonder how much an electric motorhome would cost. Well, I guess I won't be able to afford it, since I ask.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Well in Amsterdam we are staying in an apartment/B&B as it happens to be down the street from my brother's place. €99 per night including breakfast. Makes up for Vienna.

In general we don't really care for B&Bs, but this place stocks your fridge and leaves fresh bread/pastries outside your door in the morning, and you make your own breakfast so that works.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #146

travel to CA and Hawaii.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #147

Good wine. To the OP - $20 is NOT a splurge on wine....

We travel but do it fairly frugally, so I am not sure it is a splurge. But definitely something we do as often as possible.

Also, we are foodies, and we splurge on "name" restaurants, probably 4-6 times a year. Such as Alinea in Chicago last month, and Minibar in DC coming up in August (for my hubby's 40th). We also plan to hit Boston in September, so I am sure we'll eat somewhere good there.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
just spent plenty on a new book and a slip at the marina
I hope you are keeping a boat in that slip LOL!
Old 06-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #149

I just spent ~$500 on picture framing stuff. Not as bad as it sounds, half or more of that is tools that will last the rest of my life if I don't lose them and the rest is materials that will be consumed slowly.

The thing is, even with buying the frames instead of making them, after I mount and frame about four or five photos I'm well ahead of what it would cost to have it done at a frame shop.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:01 PM   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I just spent ~$500 on picture framing stuff. Not as bad as it sounds, half or more of that is tools that will last the rest of my life if I don't lose them and the rest is materials that will be consumed slowly.

The thing is, even with buying the frames instead of making them, after I mount and frame about four or five photos I'm well ahead of what it would cost to have it done at a frame shop.
I have a map that I wanted framed. Went to a local frame shop for an estimate... Basic plexi with no UV protection, simple black wood frame, no matting... $620 and a 2.5-week turnaround.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

I just sent in membership to a local yacht club and will probably buy a used daysailor or sunfish at the end of summer. I can sail most of the year, lake is 20 minutes from the house. Total investment including fees and boat will be around 2k. Had a 4k tax refund, spent half on new carpet, half on play stuff. Also headed to Ireland w cheap fares in Sept.
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Our room was small and narrow, the size of a closet in many new US homes. However, its bathroom and bed were clean, and that was all we needed. We were out on the streets in the city all day anyway.
We rented a 2BR/2Bath place off craigslist and the second bedroom was a joke. Fortunately, our travelling friends rented the place in Nice and it was our turn to rough it in the 2nd bedroom.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
Good wine. To the OP - $20 is NOT a splurge on wine....
We paid for a wine experience tour in the Benzinger winery in Sonoma. The guide said that $20 covers the cost of any good wine and that any extra is for snob appeal. If we adjust for 7 years, the number might be $26 today.

Fortunately, both DW and I have a palate for young wines.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I have a map that I wanted framed. Went to a local frame shop for an estimate... Basic plexi with no UV protection, simple black wood frame, no matting... $620 and a 2.5-week turnaround.
It's not that hard (this from someone who hasn't actually done it yet) but from reading the books watching a few youtube videos I gather that the hardest part is going to be adding and subtracting fractions.

That part is probably going to make me a fan of the metric system.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #155
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It's not that hard (this from someone who hasn't actually done it yet) but from reading the books watching a few youtube videos I gather that the hardest part is going to be adding and subtracting fractions.

That part is probably going to make me a fan of the metric system.
In the end, I decided to frame the map myself for a lot less money. I got rid of most of my tools when we moved into an apartment, but I kept a small saw and miter box as well as compact band clamp, so I was able to produce something decent.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

Store bought clothing, my own pillow, no longer sharing!
Actually, euro trips, cruises and my personal weakness for swiss watches. Hard asset investing...right.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #157
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
In the end, I decided to frame the map myself for a lot less money. I got rid of most of my tools when we moved into an apartment, but I kept a small saw and miter box as well as compact band clamp, so I was able to produce something decent.
I did the same thing. After having 3 maps framed by a frame store for about $200 a map, I decided to do my own framing for my next map. Now I'm searching for a cool nautical chart to frame.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #158
Confused about dryer sheets

Definitely traveling!
GeeBeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Doing some exterior house upgrades this summer! But that has been budgeted for for a few years already. We hadn't planned on adding a pergola though, or bricking in a section of the courtyard.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Turn them into DYI projects for exercise, job satisfaction, and LBYM savings?