Join Early Retirement Today

Leaving Ameriprise - 8 years later!
Old 08-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Leaving Ameriprise - 8 years later!

Today marks the 8th anniversary of my very first post here which was on how to leave Ameriprise’s clutches. I thought I’d give a quick update on this wonderful financial birthday.

In October my husband will have been retired 3 years and my 3rd anniversary is next January. He retired at 49 and I was 54. Our Ameriprise rep told us in 2006 that we had no hope of retiring by my 59th birthday. Boy was he wrong!

We are living our dream. We moved to The Villages last year and spend all day playing volleyball, pickleball, visiting with friends, or lounging around the house, depending on the mood of the day. There is so much to do here that is free that when the next recession hits we know we can live on just our income without touching our investments, so the financial side is good as well.

Life is very good and I’m greatful for everyone who helped guide me 8 years ago. You helped change our lives.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

... and best wishes for the next 40 years

imoldernu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Well, yea, but neither Vanguard or Fidelity send birthday cards.

Congratulations.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #4

Bet the Ameriprise "advisor" is still working. ;-)
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Our Ameriprise rep told us in 2006 that we had no hope of retiring by my 59th birthday. Boy was he wrong!

You need to send that guy a thank you card and let him know how well your updated plan is working.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

+1 print out the original post and include that with the thank you card.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. And great idea on printing my original post and mailing it to him.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:22 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!

I want to move to The Villages; actually showed DH an open house today online ... still going to take some convincing.

I'll keep working on it.
Luvdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:51 PM   #9

Congratulations Lisa99!! Making the move away from them paid big 'dividends' to your retirement planning.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Brava!
I love these types of updates. They give me motivation to stay the course and strive for FIRE.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvdogs View Post
I want to move to The Villages; actually showed DH an open house today online ... still going to take some convincing.
Hope you succeed in getting to The Villages! We've moved 8 times in 12 years and this place is unlike any I've experienced. The standard arguments against follow:

1. It's too big - yes there are 120k people but it feels like a small town. There isn't a big "downtown". There are 3 town squares spread out across the community so people tend to go to the one closest to them. We've also found that we tend to do activities within a 5-mile radius.
2. I hate CCRs - there are restrictions but they aren't ridiculous. They help keep the community pretty and safe. For example, we left our garage door open one night and at midnight the community patrol texted me to let me know. I appreciate it a lot!
3. Too many old people - there is a huge mix of ages and the avg age is about 63. People here tend to be very active so from what we've observed they are aging well. Also, the further south you go in the community the younger the average age tends to be.
4. The lots are too small. I'm right on top of my neighbors - this one is can be negated by being particular about the house you buy. We're on a corner lot in a small village of about 35 houses. We know all of our neighbors and everyone is great about noise/music/dogs. Unless there is a party it's quiet as a church mouse; and if there is a party we're all there!
5. It costs a lot to live here - the monthly amenity fees are $145 which pays for ALL activities (golf, volleyball, bocce, cards, exercise class, etc.) If you want to join their gym to use weights/cardio equipment it's another 40/month but very few sign up. There are also 2,000+ clubs to scratch any itch you might have.

PM me if you have specific questions, I'd be glad to help. And yes I've drunk the kool-aid... but I wish we'd gotten here years sooner.