Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The great thing about Vanguard's restrictive policies is that they piss off and alienate all the right people. Those who place a high value on trading in and out of mutual funds more often than once every month or two will transfer their assets out of the fund and leave for "greener" pastures elsewhere. Leaving the other 90-95% of investors (weighted by asset value) who have a long term focus with lower costs due to less trading. I can't complain.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, do tell us the secret behind the frequent trading restrictions FinanceDude! I googled the term and found this language for Vanguard and Fidelity, which is similar to other funds, but we're waiting with bated breath for you to tell us the real reason (.....):

Vanguard says: "Because excessive transactions can disrupt the management of a fund and increase the fund's costs for all shareholders, Vanguard places certain limits on exchanges and other transactions."

Fidelity says: "Excessive trading can be expensive and burdensome for long-term shareholders because it can:
  • Reduce returns to long-term shareholders by increasing fund costs (such as brokerage commissions)
  • Disrupt portfolio management strategies, such as forcing untimely and unwanted buying and selling of portfolio securities. "
Old 12-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Shucks, I don't work at AG Edwards............
Hey, if your expense ratios are higher I'll just go with you.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
To the OP.... did you move

Or was it just a vent....
I did not move yet. My confussion was the destination MM fund had $40K in it from the rollover. I did not pick this fund or put money in it. Vanguard did. I guess they can load it with any amount they want. It was initially explained as a MM sweep acct. So it never occurred to me that this fund has a dollar limit. It had nothing to do with time between transactions. Maybe it is their way of gently pushing you into other funds. I also had no other option to put the $ in a cash acct.
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Hey, if your expense ratios are higher I just go with you.
You wouldnt like me as an advisor, I charge a lot less than most advisors..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
I did not move yet. My confussion was the destination MM fund had $40K in it from the rollover. I did not pick this fund or put money in it. Vanguard did. I guess they can load it with any amount they want. It was initially explained as a MM sweep acct. So it never occurred to me that this fund has a dollar limit. It had nothing to do with time between transactions. Maybe it is their way of gently pushing you into other funds. I also had no other option to put the $ in a cash acct.

There are plenty of MM funds in Vanguard...

Is it connected to a brokerage account? If not, what are the 'sweeping' into it? It could be a sweep account, but still have restrictions on you moving money into it...

Sooooo, with this knowledge... are ya still going?
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Yes, do tell us the secret behind the frequent trading restrictions FinanceDude! I googled the term and found this language for Vanguard and Fidelity, which is similar to other funds, but we're waiting with bated breath for you to tell us the real reason (.....):

Vanguard says: "Because excessive transactions can disrupt the management of a fund and increase the fund's costs for all shareholders, Vanguard places certain limits on exchanges and other transactions."

Fidelity says: "Excessive trading can be expensive and burdensome for long-term shareholders because it can:
  • Reduce returns to long-term shareholders by increasing fund costs (such as brokerage commissions)
  • Disrupt portfolio management strategies, such as forcing untimely and unwanted buying and selling of portfolio securities. "
Now tell me how that explains the rule for MM funds.........

Old 12-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now tell me how that explains the rule for MM funds.........
It doesn't - any more than it explains the rule for using a new plate each time you take a trip to the salad bar.

The discussion (which you initiated) is about frequent trading restrictions, not closed Treasury/federal money market accounts.

Let's try to stay focused here...
Old 12-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Let's try to stay focused here...
Interesting post, coming from you.........

Old 12-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #70

Quote:
Interesting post, coming from you.........
No arguement here...

However, you've indicated you know the "real reason" behind Vanguard's trading restrictions and were asked what that reason was by more than one poster. You haven't responded with an answer and as a Vanguard client I'd really like to know.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No arguement here...

However, you've indicated you know the "real reason" behind Vanguard's trading restrictions and were asked what that reason was by more than one poster. You haven't responded with an answer and as a Vanguard client I'd really like to know.
It is quite simple really, makes perfect sense. Vanguard holds VERY LITTLE cash in reserve for redemptions. Since VG is a passive investment company, they want folks to invest and stay in the funds. Most fund managers keept 3-5% in cash for redemptions, VG is more like 1% or so. Just a different way of doing things......I got that from a VG manager who was at a meeting I went to, he was talking about their ETF portfolios, but was asked about it at a Q&A........

Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #72

Quote:
It is quite simple really, makes perfect sense. Vanguard holds VERY LITTLE cash in reserve for redemptions. Since VG is a passive investment company, they want folks to invest and stay in the funds. Most fund managers keept 3-5% in cash for redemptions, VG is more like 1% or so.
IOW, to keep the funds fully invested and hold costs down - just as Bestwifeever said.

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The great thing about Vanguard's restrictive policies is that they piss off and alienate all the right people. Those who place a high value on trading in and out of mutual funds more often than once every month or two will transfer their assets out of the fund and leave for "greener" pastures elsewhere. Leaving the other 90-95% of investors (weighted by asset value) who have a long term focus with lower costs due to less trading. I can't complain.
+1

Also, how seriously can you take a post in which the OP calls Vanguard "a nickel and dime store"?
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
+1

Also, how seriously can you take a post in which the OP calls Vanguard "a nickel and dime store"?
Just because most folks on here think VG walks on water, well, that still doesn't make them Jesus..............

Old 12-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #75

Quote:
Just because most folks on here think VG walks on water, well, that still doesn't make them Jesus..............
That wasn't the point I was trying to make. Referring to them (or thinking of them) as "Jesus" , is obviously an extreme and unrealistic characterization. In the same way, so is referring to them as a nickel and dime store.

My opinion only, of course.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #76

Dude, put down the shovel...
Old 12-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
That wasn't the point I was trying to make. Referring to them (or thinking of them) as "Jesus" , is obviously an extreme and unrealistic characterization. In the same way, so is referring to them as a nickel and dime store.
It is someone's opinion, they have the right to that, right? It is ok to be a fan of VG and an investor of VG, but folks should be a little less prickly, as even they make mistakes..........and piss people off, and don't do what they say, noone's perfect, not even VG.........

Old 12-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I don't think they walk on water... so no Jesus complex for me to worry about....

BUT, the do offer some very low cost funds that nobody else seem to want to offer (except the Spartan funds at FIDO)...

One of the other things that I also like is they seem to invest in what they say the fund is about... I remember having some money in FIDO way back when in the asset allocation fund... there was a big loss that did not make much sense at the time... learned later that the fund manager made a big play on Mexican pesoes at the wrong time... since the AA fund was not supposed to be international.... I was wondering why they were playing in Mexico.... I have heard this was fixed, but who knows for sure...

And how many funds got caught up in the selling to brokers after close? Or some other funny thing that helped the investment company at the expense of the investors... so far I have not heard any of this kind of stuff happening at VG.... maybe you can share something

I do have funds in FIDO, but not that much (current company 401).... and I am not negative to them.... I just think they charge to much....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #79

What pisses me off is after I read my first investment book and found out what my broker was up to. Now that pisses me off!

Vanguard may make a few mistakes here and there but it's the best alternative out there, at least IMHO.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #80

Quote:
Would you believe Moses?