Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-26-2016, 07:34 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This may be true. The ones I'm buying are $10 each.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 07:51 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Some dimmers seem to work well with some LEDs. I'm glad yours work for you, can you post the model #'s of each?

From my experience, and many reviews, it really seems to be hit-miss to get a combo that works well throughout the dimming range, and manufacturers may make changes at any time. Like I said, I think the industry needs a better certification test, it isn't as plug-and-play as it should be. Any LED/CFL dimmable labeled component ought to work with any other such labelled component.

-ERD50
The LED lights are UtiliTech Pro # DLS15-06F27D1E-WH-F2 picked them up at Lowes on sale last week. The dimmers I know are Lutron but don't have the model numbers. One has been in the kitchen since I bought the house in 95 controls 3 lights. One light over the sink is on a separate switch not on a dimmer. The other two dimmers I installed in a 3 season room in 2000 and controls 6 lights each. All but one of the lights are the model above 2700k, the one over the sink is a 3500k Halo. Makes it a better task light when doing dishes. If I ever go into the switch box I will get a model #.
I guess I kind of lucked out on the compatibility issue.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:01 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richfei View Post
I'm curious, has anyone managed to get any deals (current or past) for LEDs
CFLs are a dime a dozen, but I don't often see much for LEDs
I think some cities and states offer rebates, but I've never been that fortunate

I was able to jump on 20 of these last year for about $3.50 each
But that's it

VerbatimĀ® 9.5 Watt A19 LED Light Bulb (60 Watt Equivalent), Soft White, Dimmable | StaplesĀ®
Can't recall the exact deal at Costco last year. I think we got 8 25w equivalent LEDs for $10 with an $8 rebate (instant) from the mfg or maybe from the electric co. In any case, it made them roughly the same price as the equivalent incandescent. We bought 3 packs (limit 5 IIRC). We have used them for a year and all still work. Can't recall brand name. Most of our fixtures have up to 4 bulbs, so 4 25 (equiv) is plenty of light for most applications. It was more of a good luck than good management on our part that we even got this deal as they disappeared very quickly. Just keep your eyes open for such "loss leaders" or electric co. "promotions", etc.

Never much liked CFLs, but have used them for years with varying success. High failure rate and poor quality light as they age. Also, they are ugly if not completely covered by a shade or fixture. So far, really like using LEDs. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #124

Yesterday, I saw a sign outside Ace Hardware advertising LED bulbs starting at 99 cents. I might have to go back and see which of them are so cheap. As others have indicated, I wish the 100W equivalents would come down in price.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:23 AM   #125

Here's an interesting tidbit. I have a light fixture over the sink with 3 GE LED Bright Stik 5000k bulbs. For a while our tv with antenna for local channels would lose the signal in the late afternoon for a couple hours. My DW just figured out that is when she is in the kitchen preparing/cleaning and has this light on. So I just replaced them with 3 different LED bulbs.
Apparently these GE Bright Stiks are putting out an interference, probably the lights and tv are on the circuit.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

I just installed my first LED integrated vanity bath bar. So far, so good! This bathroom gets hot (upper floor of 1 1/2 story). Hopefully it will keep things cooler.

I'll say this. In the 2 years I've been goofing around with LED home lighting, the improvements being made are significant. Literally month by month, the products improve in size, color, design, etc. And now there are more and more integrated fixtures which continue to improve.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #127

I like the LED light disks, recessed lights without the can. Just mount it to a regular ceiling junction box and you have a recessed light. Works great since installed a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

I installed the "dusk to dawn" fixture I bought from Amazon.

I used to have a 35 watt HPS fixture there that I got tired of repairing. It wasn't just changing bulbs, it was replacing photo-eyes too. This doesn't use a bulb, there are 24 surface mounted LED's on a board. Very well made product and works well

It's 5000K, so a little on the "blue" side, but still way better than the yellow light of HPS. As you can see also very bright and uses a whole 25 watts.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

That's a nice find and I may consider this same product.

My current light's photo-eye has gone to "always on."
Old 08-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #130
gone traveling

The idea of dying without needing to replace bulbs before then was appealing, so we've installed LED's.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:28 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

I did the math on the porchlight.

At 12 hours a day, 365 days a year, it should last 10 years.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Here's an interesting tidbit. I have a light fixture over the sink with 3 GE LED Bright Stik 5000k bulbs. For a while our tv with antenna for local channels would lose the signal in the late afternoon for a couple hours. My DW just figured out that is when she is in the kitchen preparing/cleaning and has this light on. So I just replaced them with 3 different LED bulbs.
Apparently these GE Bright Stiks are putting out an interference, probably the lights and tv are on the circuit.
Very Possible, as I noticed when DW used our paper shredder at the other end of the house, the tv signal (digital OTA HD) made the screen go all blocky.

Looks like our electric motor in the shredder puts out a lot of interference.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:25 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

Not good enough for gerntz. He/she wants to die first.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:33 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Don't count on it. Those 50,000 hour rating are the LD-70 ratings, an extrapolated number that estimates when the bulb will dim to 70% of its initial value. It has nothing to do with the bulb/circuitry just up and dying.

From what I've read, the capacitors in the circuits are not rated for anything near 50,000 hours at the heat they will be subjected to (heat from the LEDs and circuitry, all in a confined space).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:08 AM   #135

I lost 2 LED bulbs (actual burned LEDs) in less than 3 years. Usage 12 hours a day. I am not impressed.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:28 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I just installed my first LED integrated vanity bath bar. So far, so good! This bathroom gets hot (upper floor of 1 1/2 story). Hopefully it will keep things cooler.
We have a recessed spotlight over the kitchen sink. We used to sweat while working at the sink. Replaced it with an LED spotlight and no more sweating!
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
I lost 2 LED bulbs (actual burned LEDs) in less than 3 years. Usage 12 hours a day. I am not impressed.
I think the brand definitely matters. I have some early generation GE LEDs for my bathroom vanity area. Bulbs must be about 6 years old and all going strong (knock on wood).

Not sure what brand you have, but for me, I'd avoid no name types from China. Was shopping a few months back at Home Depot (HD) and I had several CREE bulbs in my cart. Those actually are described as okay for enclosed fixtures. A worker stopped me and tried to say these other brands (ones made for Home Depot) were cheaper and would also work in enclosed fixtures. They may have, but I didn't want to take the gamble as there was nothing on the wrapping that said okay for enclosed fixtures with the HD bulbs.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I installed the "dusk to dawn" fixture I bought from Amazon.

I used to have a 35 watt HPS fixture there that I got tired of repairing. It wasn't just changing bulbs, it was replacing photo-eyes too. This doesn't use a bulb, there are 24 surface mounted LED's on a board. Very well made product and works well

It's 5000K, so a little on the "blue" side, but still way better than the yellow light of HPS. As you can see also very bright and uses a whole 25 watts.
If this could be adapted for "bug lite color" I would order two. It is very bright, but does not cause a problem at my location. Bugs are a big issue.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:54 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Haven't noticed it attracting bugs.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:42 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
3 years would be 13,140 hrs.
About 13 old fashioned bulbs, so you saved the effort of changing the bulbs 12 times.
Plus you saved money;
I can buy LED's for $2.00 on sale, so that is still cheaper than 13 tungsten bulbs by a long shot, and you used a lot less electricity.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote