Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
Just announced Chapter 11.

Why the #%^@ does this always happen right after my Friday payday after my 401k deposit goes through
Not to rub it in but my mid month will be credited tomorrow! And I upped the contrib % to get more money in sooner rather than later this year. Time will tell if that small bet works.

Small victory that won't mean that much in the long run.
Gardnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #62
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Let's just say....I'm heavily medicated. Burp.........

Me Too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (3.0 KB, 115 views)
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm afraid that after today we might want to start looking at cheaper box wines...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Start?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Just like my cash allocation will get me through this (I hope), so too my cases of guiness and red stripe, and a couple bottles of single malts will keep me from having to drink bud and box wine. Actually, I don't really drink wine, so no problem there.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I'm afraid that after today we might want to start looking at cheaper box wines...
Just restocked with a 12 pack of Natural Light. Pretty cheap and a BUD product anyway. My way of cutting back. After tomorrow, I may have to start watering it down and stretch out the 12 pack to a case. Whatever it takes to keep me retired.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Tj's still has 2 buck chuck. its bottled. Thats the only thing good I can say about it. Oh and it will get you drunk. Box wines...I doubt Ill ever get to that point..

Golf is fairly expensive Dawg. You could give that up..
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

So MIL's portfolio had 5% of her holdings in Lehman bonds purchased in 2003. Anybody got info on how this will shake out for the bond holders? I.E she gets. 10 on the dollar or we get to pay the bankruptcy attys for the privilege of pillaging the remaining assets.

Brewer/Finance Dude/ anyone else have any insight?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #69
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
. Box wines...I doubt Ill ever get to that point..

Box wines are getting better unlike the stock market !!
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I grabbed a couple of bottle of TJ's two buck chuck sauvignon blanc. Meh.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Good thing we already picked up over 3 cases of red wine on our 6 month tour of the Pacific NW. Now, along with our "cash cushion" we have a red wine "cushion" to get us through the next 6 months....

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:20 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I bought a vegetable cushion. Our farm share was prepaid in the spring before prices spiked up.

Next year I hope to be better informed and prepay something booze or bacon related.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:10 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Baaa haa haa...

Hugo Chavez cheers the failure of Lehman as an example of why capitalism doesnt work.

Unfortunately, Venezuela owns about $300M worth of Lehman debt that Lehman had offered to cash out, but now cant. And they wont be able to sell it to someone else for more than a bunch of bananas either.

Bonus is that it seems the WSJ writer was laughing too hard to finish the article...

I guess next time he oughta make sure he's got the cash in hand before flapping his lips.

Venezuela Faces Loss on Lehman - WSJ.com
Old 09-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Well at least my MIL's Lehman Bonds will be in good company. It seems Pelosi and Kerry had a few 100 thousand to a couple of million $$$ in Lehman along with 50 or so members of Congress.