Lehman Brothers swirling the drain

Yea, we should get back on topic. Couldn't resist a little comic diversion. The market just closed under 10,000 and we are all a bit jumpy. I think I need a BIG glass of wine.

Jeez, you got me all excited there for a second. The market actually closed under 11K. I was all ready to BUY!

DOW down 500 points. Tough day. Looks like AIG headed down the toilet. Got to go restock my BUD portfolio in a bit. :p

Jeez, you got me all excited there for a second. The market actually closed under 11K. I was all ready to BUY!

Sorry harley - meant to say closed under 11,000. :duh: You would think I had that big glass of wine already. :D

Hey, look at the bright side. The Patriots won yesterday! :)

Broadway Brett, I guess hes having a tough day too. Licking his wounds from the game and taking a hit on his portfolio.

Back to the golf tomorrow. Thank goodness I have a ladder of cd's to get me to SS. Hopefully the equity portion of my portfolio will grow along the way.

Closing Dow 10,917.51 . Oof. That's 4.4% in just one day.

OK, my index fund purchases should have gone through at this price at closing. NOW that we've got that over with, it can skyrocket up, up, up for the rest of the year.

Things look really awful. But in the past it seems that when things scare me half to death, it's a great time to buy.

Back to the golf tomorrow. Thank goodness I have a ladder of cd's to get me to SS. Hopefully the equity portion of my portfolio will grow along the way.

You are amazingly calm . Do you feel okay or is the Bud working it's magic ?

Look on the bright side. It will only drop another 300 or 400 tomorrow. ^-^

Oh and the Steelers thumped the Brownies.

muaha muahahaha

Last edited:
You are amazingly calm . Do you feel okay or is the Bud working it's magic ?

Let's just say....I'm heavily medicated. Burp.........

squirrel-drinking-beer-budweiser-through-a-straw.jpg

Just announced Chapter 11.

Why the #%^@ does this always happen right after my Friday payday after my 401k deposit goes through:confused:

Not to rub it in but my mid month will be credited tomorrow! And I upped the contrib % to get more money in sooner rather than later this year. Time will tell if that small bet works.

Small victory that won't mean that much in the long run.

Just like my cash allocation will get me through this (I hope), so too my cases of guiness and red stripe, and a couple bottles of single malts will keep me from having to drink bud and box wine. Actually, I don't really drink wine, so no problem there. :cool:

I'm afraid that after today we might want to start looking at cheaper box wines... ;)

Just restocked with a 12 pack of Natural Light. Pretty cheap and a BUD product anyway. My way of cutting back.:) After tomorrow, I may have to start watering it down and stretch out the 12 pack to a case. Whatever it takes to keep me retired.

I'm afraid that after today we might want to start looking at cheaper box wines... ;)

Tj's still has 2 buck chuck. its bottled. Thats the only thing good I can say about it. :) Oh and it will get you drunk. Box wines...I doubt Ill ever get to that point..

Golf is fairly expensive Dawg. You could give that up..;)

So MIL's portfolio had 5% of her holdings in Lehman bonds purchased in 2003. Anybody got info on how this will shake out for the bond holders? I.E she gets. 10 on the dollar or we get to pay the bankruptcy attys for the privilege of pillaging the remaining assets.

Brewer/Finance Dude/ anyone else have any insight?

Good thing we already picked up over 3 cases of red wine on our 6 month tour of the Pacific NW. Now, along with our "cash cushion" we have a red wine "cushion" to get us through the next 6 months....

Audrey

:(

I bought a vegetable cushion. Our farm share was prepaid in the spring before prices spiked up.

Next year I hope to be better informed and prepay something booze or bacon related.

Baaa haa haa...

Hugo Chavez cheers the failure of Lehman as an example of why capitalism doesnt work.

Unfortunately, Venezuela owns about $300M worth of Lehman debt that Lehman had offered to cash out, but now cant. And they wont be able to sell it to someone else for more than a bunch of bananas either.

Bonus is that it seems the WSJ writer was laughing too hard to finish the article...

I guess next time he oughta make sure he's got the cash in hand before flapping his lips.

Venezuela Faces Loss on Lehman - WSJ.com

Well at least my MIL's Lehman Bonds will be in good company. It seems Pelosi and Kerry had a few 100 thousand to a couple of million $$$ in Lehman along with 50 or so members of Congress.:(:(:(:(:(

Back
Top Bottom