Join Early Retirement Today

Let it ride or hold it aside?
Old 12-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
Administrator

Let it ride or hold it aside?

I am seeking opinions on what to do with amounts that FIRECalc says I can safely withdraw, but which I cannot spend. For purposes of the question assume the following:

FIRECalc gives me a 100% success rate when I spend $200k per year from a 70/30 portfolio, and shows an 8 figure portfolio when I am 90.

Even if I spent every waking moment trying to "blow that dough", I realistically can't spend more than $150k per year.

I have no children and have no need to leave a bequest.

QUESTION: As to the $50k per year that I can't spend, should I leave it in the market (70/30), or withdraw it anyway and put it in a CD ladder?

I am inclined to do the latter, because it reduces the risk that FIRECalc is wrong, but I wonder if I am missing something.

What would you do?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm in a similar situation, just with lower numbers. I only withdraw what I need, and keep the rest invested according to my AA. My situation is a little different from you as I have an heir so there's a benefit to getting a higher return over time.

I do keep a tally on my spreadsheet of how much under I am each year, and I could easily total it. I'm not even sure why, but if I wanted to splurge on something like an RV, I might be able to justify it more easily by "using" this money. I don't really have a plan to do that though. If I did, I might be more included to put it in cash.

I'm not sure that doing the CD ladder reduces your risk any more than investing it. Firecalc could be wrong about market returns, or it could be wrong about inflation. If it's the latter, getting a low return now with a CD ladder is more risky. If you think a market crash is more likely than runaway inflation, the CD ladder is less risky. And vice versa.

I don't think there's really a wrong answer.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I would leave it in the market and then try to figure out some sort of legacy that benefits humanity in some way... like for example, an endowed scholarship or something like that.... something so that 20 years after you are pushing up dasies that the name Gumby will have some meaning and not be totally lost.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #4
gone traveling

If you are burdened with excess $$ with no heirs, it gives a soul great satisfaction to anonymously help those who are down on their luck, but not looking for handouts...it's good karma, and you can see the gratitude at work when THEY pay it forward as well.....start a movement !
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I’d leave most of it in the market. You never know if/when massive inflation might arrive for the first time in nearly forever, and might decimate our bank accounts.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:02 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd leave it invested (that's what I do). If you withdraw it you are possibly going to be paying capital gains taxes and resetting the tax basis. But, as was said, there is no wrong answer.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I would leave it in the market and then try to figure out some sort of legacy that benefits humanity in some way... like for example, an endowed scholarship or something like that.... something so that 20 years after you are pushing up dasies that the name Gumby will have some meaning and not be totally lost.
My ole man spent some of his dough fixing up / repairing some of his ancestor's headstones. I thought that was pretty cool.

But yeah, let it ride into the sunset with the markets...then bequest to someone other than the Gubbmint...some sort of cause that would make you feel good. If leaving it to the gubbmint is something near and dear, let the probate lawyers get some practice in the courts.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #8

You want to see less volatility? Don't check your balance so often.

Leaving it in the market provides

1. Better protection against inflation;
2. Greater chance of it growing into a larger amount that would allow you more options in your later years;
3. Capital that is busy being used by businesses to improve and expand, create jobs, and deliver useful goods and services to the general population. Do not be misled into thinking that only by giving your money away does it help others.

Putting it in the CD ladder adjusts the fixed portion of your portfolio from 30% to >30%, but it's been mentioned many times on these pages that FIRECalc success is a wide, flat plateau in the middle AA range. The conclusion I draw is that going from 70/30 to 60/40 or 40/60 reduces volatility, not risk.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I’d leave most of it in the market. You never know if/when massive inflation might arrive for the first time in nearly forever, and might decimate our bank accounts.
+1

These resets happen more often than recognized, Nixons, and Wilson's re-set of GLDs value and its relation to the usa's currencies went unrecognized at the time.

Jackson, Lincoln, JFKennedy, iirc HerbertHoover and a few other people in positions of power in the usa adminstration were assassinated or attempted to be killed/removed from office while they were attempting to restructure this countries wealth providers supply of the countries currency.

Theses days with the worlds systemic currency multi-valuations sooner or later there must be a worlds economic currency reset.
Thats not what's taught in History101.
Thats JMHO from decades of monetray mechanics study.
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby

What would you do?
Buy a couple dozen donuts. Stand on a street corner and just give them away. Do this a few times a week with different treats. Make others happy.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
If you are burdened with excess $$ with no heirs, it gives a soul great satisfaction to anonymously help those who are down on their luck, but not looking for handouts...it's good karma, and you can see the gratitude at work when THEY pay it forward as well.....start a movement !
I like the secret Santa piece that CBS does each year... some rich, old guy with more money than he needs and hands out $100 bills to those in need around Christmas each year.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/how-on...got-his-start/

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I find myself in a situation almost identical to yours. FIRECalc actually says I can spend close to $250k but since I have been tracking expenses (about 7 years), I have not spent even half that amount in any given year. I fired just under 2 years ago. I am slowly loosening up the purse strings.....traveling more and thinking about blowing a chunk on a class a motor home.

As far as your question is concerned, I would just reduce your allocation to equities a bit and let things ride....maybe raise a little more cash to ride out the inevitable market volatility that is sure to come at some point. When I fired I moved to 60% equities and now even considering ratcheting it down to 50%. I’m holding about 3 years living expenses in cash/short term cd’s.

I guess as others have said, there is no definitive right or wrong answer. The good news is you have a real nice cushion which makes it easier to sleep at night with whatever decision you make.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Establish a scholarship in your name. Best way in my opinion to pay it forward.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:39 PM   #14

If it were me, I think I'd withdraw the $200K (or more), and put it in a money market account. Then, if I couldn't spend it (I think I could, but that's not what you asked...), I'd start performing random acts of kindness with it, like ckelly78z suggested. The excess in the MM fund would function as my "generosity" budget!
Old 12-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Be the anonymous man who pays off layaways at the holidays? Or buy toys for an orphanage?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mystery...derby-vermont/
ATX78701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:24 PM   #16

Under those circumstances, I would let it ride.

I would have reciprocal wills each spouse named as the primary beneficiary, with a pour over into a charitable trust (or with the contingent beneficiaries being charities of your choice).

If you have a very large unexpected expense - it is available. You also have the option to donate a percent sooner rather than later, i.e. setting up a donor advised fund with ten percent.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I like sitting on a fat stack of cash. Don't care that the interest rate is low, I like a fat checking account. In case something comes up you know. Build it up to say a quarter mill and let the rest ride.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:38 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I love the stock market. I think of corporate employees that my few shares combined with their hard work stay employed, the customers enjoying goods and services, the economy generating taxes that pay salaries for teachers and the first responders who will save someone I care about one day. I also try never to underestimate how much future medical and assisted living costs might be. I would keep it working in the market, and try to do something fun each day.
GR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:35 AM   #19

We are leaving it invested, but also spending rather more. Fly first class!
Old 12-05-2019, 04:50 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
Well said brother, that is so true.
Humbooster is offline   Reply With Quote