Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Let's all get real about the #'s
Old 05-13-2005, 11:20 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Come on John, you don't want to have to go back to work do you?* It can't be that expensive to add the truck to your liability coverage.* Sell some stuff you scrounged at garage sales and pay for the liability insurance.* **
Nope!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2005, 04:16 PM   #42

Quote:
I hate paying any kind of insurance premium. So far over my lifetime it's been a net loser.
I'd feel the same way you do, but I'm a net gainer. Our house burned in the Oakland fire of 1991, and the insurance company gave us about $700,000. And my wife's operations for a brain tumor probably cost over a million, and we didn't have to pay a penny.

So whenever I get irritated at paying high insurance premiums, I think about that.

Of course those life insurance premiums were a waste -- bummer!
Old 05-13-2005, 04:33 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

I'd feel the same way you do, but I'm a net gainer.* Our house burned in the Oakland fire of 1991, and the insurance company gave us about $700,000.* And my wife's operations for a brain tumor probably cost over a million, and we didn't have to pay a penny.

So whenever I get irritated at paying high insurance premiums, I think about that.

Of course those life insurance premiums were a waste -- bummer!
Well, that's why we buy insurance. If I had saved all of those premiums over all those years, it would be a small fortune. Yet, we all know of stories where people were saved from financial disaster. BTW, those
life insurance premiums WERE a waste. Indeed! Right now, I have
pretty minimal insurance on both homes, no boat insurance and no riders
on the homeowners. Health insurance is pretty basic. The next step
would be going bare. I am thinking about cutting back the auto insurance to the minimum required by law. I will need a new agent
though as my current agent refuses to do it.

JG
Old 05-13-2005, 04:35 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Al - for a small fee I'm sure we can fix that life insurance problem.

John - for you, an even smaller fee will get the job done
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 05:09 PM   #45

I HATE paying any kind of insurance premiums. Its so easy to become over-insured. With the business I had life, biz auto, transit, disability, biz interruption, professional liability, general liability, plus all the personal coverage...ARRGHHH :P

Now in ER I've cut all the biz related and trimmed the personal. Overall I've had my share of claims...running about even.

BUM
Old 05-13-2005, 05:44 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I'd feel the same way you do, but I'm a net gainer. Our house burned in the Oakland fire of 1991, and the insurance company gave us about $700,000.
That's a good deal. I cannot image it would cost $700K to rebuild a house.

Spanky
Old 05-13-2005, 07:32 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
That's a good deal. I cannot image it would cost $700K to rebuild a house.
Sure, that sounds pretty reasonable now, but try to stick to that budget AFTER the hurricane rolls through. Both building materials and competent contractors will be at a premium, and you'll be required to make the new building compliant with all the new codes that have sprung up since the old building was finished. Then there's the cost of the design architect, the building plans, the community association's approval, the city & county permits... have I missed anyone?

To say nothing of your new insurance premiums.

If our house is ever destroyed, the first phone call I'm making is to an independent claims adjustor. I'll let THEM break the news to our insurance company.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 10:38 AM   #48

Ummmmmmmmmmm FFEEEEEMMMMAAAAAAAAA. Now theres a government handout I can relate to. FEMA provides us with low cost flood insurance. We supplement with fire and wind coverage. The coastal winds can be frightening, but its the storm surge that historically has caused the damage and the claims. :P

Old 05-15-2005, 05:07 PM   #49

Quote:
I cannot imagine it would cost $700K to rebuild a house.
Well, that $700,000 included $160,000 for personal belongings (replacement value) and more for other expenses. The amount for the house was indeed accurate -- the money went right from us to the contractor. Note that this was in 1992.

The funny thing was that the insurance adjuster wouldn't believe how little we'd spent for our stuff, and gave us more. He said things like "There's no way you could have spent only $17 for each of those dining room chairs, we'll give you $100 for each."
Old 05-15-2005, 07:52 PM   #50

Oh JG, you invite schadenfreude like nobody's business. Let me guess - if you get sued and lose your assets, you'll just have the DW keep on working a few more years! Maybe you don't need insurance after all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
I am thinking about cutting back the auto insurance to the minimum required by law.* I will need a new agent
though as my current agent refuses to do it.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:17 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan
Oh JG, you invite schadenfreude like nobody's business. Let me guess - if you get sued and lose your assets, you'll just have the DW keep on working a few more years! Maybe you don't need insurance after all...
John Galt is not a person. He is an algorithm designed to annoy the greatest number of people the largest % of time, without precipitating visceral hostility.

Mikey
Old 05-16-2005, 03:27 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
John Galt is not a person. He is an algorithm designed to annoy the greatest number of people the largest % of time, without precipitating visceral hostility.

Mikey
It's a gift man

JG
Old 05-16-2005, 04:13 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan
I don't know this "Schadenfreude" person and don't think
I invited him/her? anywhere. Sounds Germanic. If they show up I hope
they bring beer.

JG
Old 05-16-2005, 07:11 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

If he shows up you'll wish he hadn't.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:03 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

A belated "gesundheit!"

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote