Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, if I had reported an hour ago it would have looked like 5+ down and 3+ up on comcast using linksys e4200 router (wireless LAN) and an xp/ie8 system.

Thanks to dslreports tweek test and software, I now report 15-21/3++. I'm in Bellingham WA and Seattle gives 15+ but Los Angeles gives 21+.
Tadpole is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

My current speed is 25M down and 4.4M up. I'm with Comcast and i'm paying Internet only 25$ per month. I'm on a special rate as I called in and asked them what was the best they could do as I was thinking of switching carriers - they offered me this deal for 6 months then it will eventually jump to about $60 bucks unless I re-negotiate over the next year. I've seen other teaser deals that they have for 19.99/month for 6 months then creeps up toward the higher rates. I'm waiting for fiber to the curb to give them some good competition.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Comcast, approximately $50/month. Ping 15mS, Download 16.2Mbps, Upload 1.6Mbps. I have been told that I can get slightly better upload speed if I replaced our 10 year old cable modem with a newer model, but I'm currently satisfied with what we have now.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Verizon FIOS seems to be superior to most. But the marvelous communist city of Seattle has carved up areas and given them to certain companies. Verizon not welcome here, although it exists just outside our city limits, and they would love to compete in our market.

Ha
Old 09-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #25

Verizon Fios

Just upgraded to a new 2 year contract bundle with TV and Phone. Internet only cost is $40

48 Mbps download on Desktop (ethernet)
26 Mbps wireless on laptop
23 Mbps upload on desktop (ethernet)
16 Mbps wireless on laptop

I've had Fios for two years and I'm extremely pleased.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

5 years ago I was limited to dial-up. I had tried satellite a few years before and that was just awful. Not much faster, kept dropping my VPN, inconsistent, and horrible lags with some of the interactive work I had to do at the time.

I had DSL for a few years but was right on the edge distance-wise, so it wasn't very reliable.

Now I get cable internet, for $35 they advertise up to 4MB down, 1MB up. I'm getting 3.27/0.90 right now. I've seen is very close to 4MB, and sometimes in the evening it gets far worse. When that happens, sometimes I'll switch to my neighbor's wireless if they aren't there (their 2nd home so they often aren't) and use their DSL. Once a week or so I restart my cable modem and wireless router, which seems to help.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I have Verizon Fios here in Northern Va. did the SpeakEasy.net test

37.15 download 29.98 upload
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Verizon DSL, 3.3 Mbps download, 0.8Mbps upload, about $35 per month.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #29

Charter Cable 1 year intro price $20 regular price is $49

AT&T High Speed Internet Speed Test says 20.8 Mbps download 3.1 Mbps upload

Speakeasy Speed Test says 34.8 Mbps download 3.2 Mbps upload

the download speeds are really far apart! I wonder who is coreect?
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #30

It seems that Verizon Fios has by far the fastest internet connection of any service at a reasonable price.

I just retested my connection on speakeasy and it was 52 Mbps download/35 Mpbs upload.

BTW connection speed does not drop at night as some have experienced with cable because the connection is not shared with others.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
It seems that Verizon Fios has by far the fastest internet connection of any service at a reasonable price.
Until this thread I had never heard of Verizon Fios so I went online and got a price quote. $79.99/mo for the speed you have, 50Mbps. Even though that's very fast that does not seem like a reasonable price to me.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just tested my connection now at a near peak time, have Cox in N. Vir. through Speakeasy (which I think is more accurate that speedtest):

DL: 7Mbps UL: 3Mbps

My roommate is the one in charge of the Internet and I can't seem to motivate him to switch to FIOS for $60 less a month, with no contract. We'd be getting way more channels, and 6-7x faster internet speeds.

That sort of thing is part of my motivation to save up enough to affordably live on my own, and get enough seniority to telework. Current plan is to eventually move to an area where you can get 50Mbps up and down for $70/month, and my work will pay for half of it. I may consider getting the 100/100 plan, since that would only actually be $70/month out of my pocket. But, not sure it is necessary, I can definitely push near the limits of the 50/50 connection, since I can be a very heavy internet user, but not sure I will feel the difference at all past that.

About the Seattle area, I heard Verizon sold their network to Frontier last year, Verizon doesn't seem to want to do much more than keep their network going in very large densely populated areas. Not so sure the Seattle area will improve Internet-wise for awhile until someone picks up the slack Verizon dropped, much less the Seattle metro area itself.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Until this thread I had never heard of Verizon Fios so I went online and got a price quote. $79.99/mo for the speed you have, 50Mbps. Even though that's very fast that does not seem like a reasonable price to me.
I pay $40 for the internet service but it is a part of a 2 year bundle contract with TV and a land line phone. The total bill is a $134 with a 2 year commitment
Old 09-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

I pay 48.95/mo internet for Comcast cable.

SpeakEasy Downlink Uplink
18.67MB 3.66MB

Speedtest 16.8 3.73

The above are testing to the Chicago server. Other servers can have much different readings. There are a number of things that can effect readings, so it maybe difficult to accurately compare to others.
bks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'm sure they are gouging charging a lot more to people who don't bundle it with phone and TV service.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Comcast cable internet: $68/mo

24.4 upload with 3.54 download on hard wire desktop
18.5 upload with 2.9 download on wireless device

Very happy w/performance... not so happy with cost (compared to most of you)
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Download - 25.6 Mbps
Upload - 4.95 Mbps

Comcast
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. On Speakeasy I tried several locations. Upload speed was 5 something on all. However, download ranged from 35 to 5!

Speedtest download was 35.5

Comcast - currently bundled with TV. Before that was paying about $60 a month as I recall
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plex View Post
About the Seattle area, I heard Verizon sold their network to Frontier last year, Verizon doesn't seem to want to do much more than keep their network going in very large densely populated areas. Not so sure the Seattle area will improve Internet-wise for awhile until someone picks up the slack Verizon dropped, much less the Seattle metro area itself.
Wow. Seattle is the 15th largest US metro.
List of United States metropolitan statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Verizon must be one picky company. I wish I had FIOS available!

Ha
Old 09-13-2012, 03:53 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

24 up, 4 down with Comcast. This costs roughly $60 per month, including modem rental. Verizon bailed out on their promise to cover this entire region of South Jersey. So there'll be no competition (DSL is abysmal speed), and I expect Comcast will continue upping the bills with no real competition in this region. Some developments and customers got FIOS, but most didn't in my town. Definitely a case of the haves and have nots.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote