Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Please, be a little more modest and speak for yourself.
Ha-

I respect your input. However,

WCV's post was unnecessarily inflammatory and accusatory,
very confusing, not relevant, and poorly edited. (Does he really want workers to "bare" the expense)

If anyone else can argue merit for his comment, I'll retract my
statement. Until then...
leftbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcv56 View Post
My taxes on U.S. investments (where all my savings and investments are located) and work are more than most salaries and I pay into SS so I am a concerned tax payer. I would rather have my taxes go to a system with more and better services and servants than an expensive elitist system for the few that are to good to use what is forced on the majority and payers of their system.
So you're somewhere overseas and you want "more and better
services and servants" for policing in Dallas, Texas? He just explained the 27.5% that you seem so concerned about.

Please stop wasting __________'s time.
leftbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

sorry about the comments but I never heard of someone getting such % put into a retirement system by an employer.
wcv56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I realize that 27.5% seems high, but our salary is also 10-15% lower than most every suburb in the area. In fact we have the lowest starting salary of the 36 largest police departments in North Texas (along with the most dangerous city to work in). They could cut their contributions back to 12% and give me a 15.5% raise and I would be happy as a clam because I would invest every penny of the raise.
That really helps put things in perspective. If we truly have a "pay as you go" pension system as so many of us are calling for, it really doesn't make much difference if it is 'provided' or if the worker does it himself. Though a group can average out longevity risk. And of course, some people just wouldn't do it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

One thing that may be missing from your comparison is retirement healthcare. Many plans provide healthcare as part of the benefit, so you can't assume all of the city's portion would be available for you to invest.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
One thing that may be missing from your comparison is retirement healthcare. Many plans provide healthcare as part of the benefit, so you can't assume all of the city's portion would be available for you to invest.
My pension plan doesn't proved any healthcare benefits at all.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #27

Actually what hurts the DB plans is what is called the final pay formula i.e. x% per year times the average of the highest y years. (In Ca I understand that Y =1 for public safety, and that overtime counts in the pay). One simple fix to that is Y=3 out of 5 and overtime can add say 15%. Or go to a more career averaged formula such as SS uses to figure the average. They take SS wages times some multiplier based upon wage changes up until you hit 62. It would result in lower payouts but limit the damage.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Actually what hurts the DB plans is what is called the final pay formula i.e. x% per year times the average of the highest y years. (In Ca I understand that Y =1 for public safety, and that overtime counts in the pay). One simple fix to that is Y=3 out of 5 and overtime can add say 15%. Or go to a more career averaged formula such as SS uses to figure the average. They take SS wages times some multiplier based upon wage changes up until you hit 62. It would result in lower payouts but limit the damage.
That's true, but a lot of plans, including mine, aren't like that but yet they still get lumped into the discussion of how we cant afford public pensions anymore.

With my plan "Y" =3 and ZERO overtime is included. In fact, about 20% of my pay is counted as "special" pay and is not counted either. "Special pay" could be shift pay, language pay, education pay and things like that.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbucket View Post
I notice most of the long time posters steer away from these discussions probably because they're tired of them, but I'm still relatively new and ignorant so I'll jump in.
Nah, we just decide that some posters won't stop pounding on their one-key pianos and add them to our "Ignore Poster" list...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote