Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

A new bicycle ! Would have to negotiate the price down 1k but that's possible.. we are dreaming aren't we?

Specialized Bicycle Components

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd finally stop procrastinating and get the peeling trim on my house repainted, and the deck and screened porch repaired. That seems like cheating though, since I have definite plans to call a guy within the next month. To buy something new I'd start with replacing the worn out couch downstairs, getting a comfy love seat or reading chair for the loft, new tables for the entry and living room, a nice clock for over the mantle, a kindle and some e-books, a green egg grill, new skis and boots, some new running gear...am I there yet?

Really the biggest splurge I'd want to do with a big chunk of money would be to replace my 97 or 04 cars. They are running too well and I like them too much to pay $20k-45K for what I might want to replace them with, but with a "use it or lose it" gift I'd do it.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmmmph:
1) downpayment on "retirement" home in florida, since rates are so low I'd finanance it
2) Take it right to the craps table!
3) Sailing lessons to get my captains license
4) Definitely could spend it on tools, start with a lift for the garage
5) Give it away to struggling friends
6) Just keep it in cash until the "rules" change and I can buy myself a boat!
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I see that a lot of people just disregarded the rule and would spend it on travel anyway. Not wanting to be so blatant, I think I have found a loophole. I will spend it on fuel.

Yes, $10K is about what it will cost in gasoline for an RV round trip to Alaska, and another one to Newfoundland. Yep, all it takes is the know-how in book keeping to sneak by the auditor.

Now, where do I store all that gasoline? Price will most likely go up before I can take the trip. Alaska in summer 2013, and the NE in summer 2014. Who knows what gas price will be then? Can I buy gasoline future that far out?
Old 08-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I would say replace the large window in my master bedroom with french doors but if that $10K feels anything like the $10K I just made by filling in for a colleage at my former employer, it will probably just end up in my savings account. Note to self... must relearn to live a little for today.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Like many people here, I would spend a "windfall" $10K on something that I would normally get anyway. Is that a common trait of LBYM'ers or people who are accustomed to delayed gratification? Even if money falls from the sky, we cannot see ourselves splurging to spend on what we would think as frivolous? And then, yesterday, the godmarket gave me a "windfall" even greater than $10K. Did I rush out to look for ways to spend it?

Nope, no compulsive spending, no "spur of the moment" purchases. I guess some would consider it a boring life. But, but, but does that come with an INTJ personality? Someone cares to make another thread?
Old 08-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound
I see that a lot of people just disregarded the rule and would spend it on travel anyway. Not wanting to be so blatant, I think I have found a loophole. I will spend it on fuel.

Yes, $10K is about what it will cost in gasoline for an RV round trip to Alaska, and another one to Newfoundland. Yep, all it takes is the know-how in book keeping to sneak by the auditor.

Now, where do I store all that gasoline? Price will most likely go up before I can take the trip. Alaska in summer 2013, and the NE in summer 2014. Who knows what gas price will be then? Can I buy gasoline future that far out?
Sure you can. Oil futures.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

DW would buy a whole barrel of Jack Daniels whiskey. Those go for around $10K.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Sure. That would make a good conversation piece in the living room. Practical too, as one can just put a piece of glass over it and turn it into a dining table. Makes lots of friends too.

About oil futures, I just checked and found that they are trading oil futures as far ahead as 2019. Looks like I am set. Just waiting for the fund transfer from W2R. Or does the check come in the snail mail?
Old 08-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #70
Dryer sheet aficionado

I would not buy anything, I would pay down some of my student loan debt!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

A small/cheap chunk of land for/near a fishin' spot about 3 hours from here.

-CC
Old 08-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Nope, no compulsive spending, no "spur of the moment" purchases. I guess some would consider it a boring life. But, but, but does that come with an INTJ personality? Someone cares to make another thread?
I'm an ISTJ, but life is meant to be enjoyed, live a little
Old 08-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

A sunroom addition to our home. Our old place that just went under contract had one and we loved it. No better place to enjoy a nice summer evening with a glass of wine and some good music.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Gosh well...

if i weren't retired, I'd add it to the dragon hoard. Compound interest, baby.

if i were retired, i'd:
Old 08-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

(sorry had a glitch)
if i were retired
Old 08-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

i would have a person come to clean my house every 2 weeks
i would have a person come and batch cook gormet meals so i could eat well without slaving over the stove
i would put in a lovely in-ground pool with adjoining jacuzzi
i would treat myself to a REALLY nice dinner out once a month...Capital Grille, Ruth's Chris, etc
Old 08-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #77
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by web_diva View Post
(sorry had a glitch)
if i were retired
Maybe buy a better keyboard
TJ
Old 08-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #78
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by web_diva View Post
i would have a person come and batch cook gormet meals so i could eat well without slaving over the stove
You could have somebody else prepare/deliver your meals for just over 7 months:

The Fresh Diet | Select Plan
Old 08-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm also one who doesn't want more 'stuff'. Heck I'm tying to get DH to part with some of the stuff around here. (he's the shopper, collector in the family) But if I actually had to spend the money I'd put new tile floors in the upstairs bathrooms and buy an i-pad just for me. With the balance I would purchase supplies for the local homeless shelter.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
I'm also one who doesn't want more 'stuff'. Heck I'm tying to get DH to part with some of the stuff around here. (he's the shopper, collector in the family) But if I actually had to spend the money I'd put new tile floors in the upstairs bathrooms and buy an i-pad just for me. With the balance I would purchase supplies for the local homeless shelter.
How wonderful of you to think of the homeless shelter