Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It would be nice to have a Macbook Air and this:

Costco - King Nature's Caress

Got their latex mattress over a year ago and love it. But the adjustable would be nice as I now futz around with lots of pillows to get comfortable for reading.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #102

Probably not PC but I love to shoot and would spend the money on new guns. A .243 with a nice Swarovski scope, an original Sharps 1874 in 45-70 and a Kowa spotting scope to see where I was hitting. A Para-Ordance 1911 if any money was left would be cool too.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #103

OK - I like the idea of the personal chef.

As for travel, well, I travel to places because I have certain goals to see or do specific things that are located in those places - example:

We are going to Crete for a week in September - I have a goal to hike the Samaria Gorge.

We are going to Australia in January - I have a goal to finish my Grand Slam - if I get there and see the Australian Open - tennis, I will have been to every Grand Slam tournament.

We will be going to Japan someday in the winter - I have a goal to ski as many countries as I can.

As for a $10K splurge....probably redo my master bath (even though the house is new, we didn't do any upgrades) - I still need to lanscape my backyard and $10K would do it very nicely. Nice personal perks of a year or so of monthly massages or facials (go on the high end of $100 each - so $200 per month, - you are up to $2400 a year for that) - mail order of monthly steaks or cheeses (just ordered some supposedly awesome Parmagiana actually made in Switzerland - can't wait to try it - apparently the Swiss cos have a higher butterfat in their milk and that changes to texture and taste of that traditionally long-aged and hard cheese) - that could eat up another $2K or so - perhaps add to the amount I want for my charitable trust for scholarships in clinical engineering for the remainder.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Definitely home improvement, like most people here. I'd consider that elevator so my mother can navigate from upstairs all of the way to the basement.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm happy with my camera (Canon 5DMKII) so I would love a 400mm f/2.8 II lens to go with it! It's $10,999 (grey market) but I'll happily throw in the extra $999.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:43 AM   #106

Nikon recently announced a 800mm f/5.6 lens. No price yet, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be over $10k.

Review here: Nikon announces development of 800mm F5.6 VR super-telephoto lens: Digital Photography Review

This kind of lens is for pro sports shooters and National Geographic photographers. Also for venomous snakes.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #107

Quite a response! A little surprising given all the LBYM sentiment usually displayed here? Be careful you might develop a subversive
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

I was surprised that there were not more charitable uses suggested...
Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #109
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Quite a response! A little surprising given all the LBYM sentiment usually displayed here? Be careful you might develop a subversive
Well, given that the OP said *spend* $10K, I assume the uber-LBYM options of saving it, investing it or paying down debt with it was off the table. So if someone *gave* you $10K and said you had to spend it...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #110
Confused about dryer sheets

We would renovate our master bathroom, which is what we are saving for now anyway.

If that was done, we would take a trip to London. Since travel isn't allowed on this thread, I'd spent it on artwork.
mdm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29
Well, given that the OP said *spend* $10K, I assume the uber-LBYM options of saving it, investing it or paying down debt with it was off the table. So if someone *gave* you $10K and said you had to spend it...
Yes, but still even to harbour such thoughts. My goodness such unfulfilled desire!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Eh, we DO know how to spend money. It's just that when one is limited by the 3.5% WR, it does scrimp one's style a bit. After a while, it becomes natural and does not bother us any.

And about unfulfilled desires, don't we all have to know to curb them?

Oh boy, not just on monetary issues, but there are ethical, legal, and moral limitations too.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

If paying down debt is off the table, I'll take a round the world cruise.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
If paying down debt is off the table, I'll take a round the world cruise.
Not for $10k I don't think.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Half way round then?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #116
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Half way round then?

You could do this segment for $9,750 for an ocean view cabin on Pacific Princess. A friend on mine has been on three world cruises and she is not fabulously wealthy .She & her husband love to travel and really LBYM so they can . She also told me that they offer great deals on these cruises so as soon as W2R's check clears Bon Voyage !

World Cruise Segment Voyages : Princess Cruises
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

The last time I was on a cruise ship was almost 20 years ago! My next cruise will have to be to Alaska, as the missus specifically mentioned it.

I should remember to add a long world or half-world cruise to the things to do. About the cost, of course you do not want to sit on board at ports, so will have to add the cost for shore excursions. It could double the cost, no?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #118

Best cruise deals are for the portions that go across the ocean. Not much in the way of stops but still fun to be on the ship.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Being a minister/pastor isn't quite as transient as being in the military, but still...
Just a different chain of command, and perhaps a slightly different set of "benefits"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Personally, I do not enjoy sitting on a ship watching the ocean. I have to go ashore.

Compare sitting on a ship to the adventure of RV'ing across Alaska, looking for a place to park overnight, watching over your shoulder for bears... What a thrill! How about crossing Siberia?