Join Early Retirement Today

Let's spend $10K!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Let's spend $10K!

In a recent post, Nords said (in part, taken out of context),

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Spouse and I run a thought experiment all the time: "Let's spend $10K!" and the answer is usually "What the heck for?"
I thought that was a really cool thought experiment, don't you? Anyway, if you had an extra $10K, on the condition that you had to spend it, what would you buy?

HERE ARE THE RULES: No cars, boats, planes, motorcycles, RV's, or travel.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd buy some iBonds.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
HERE ARE THE RULES: No cars, boats, planes, motorcycles, or travel.
No fair. Why spend money if you can't buy something you really want?
Old 08-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Home improvements, investments, spoil the grandchildren; but the fun stuff is cars & travel.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No fair. Why spend money if you can't buy something you really want?
Oh, and I forgot to mention RV's. I'll go and add that now.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Landscaping.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Custom roll-down hurricane shutters, including two big roll-down ones to go over both sets of French doors looking out on the back yard.

I would have this done anyway, but it is one of those upgrades that probably wouldn't pay back on resale, so not a good investment. But hey, if the $10K is mine only on the condition that I spend it....

Old 08-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #8

Update our second bathroom, install sprinklers, and if there is anything left, paint our living room.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #9

Home improvements.
We're spending the money regardless - but if someone is giving me $10k, that's less of *my* money I have to spend.
Mama needs new upstairs windows.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Well, $10K would not buy much of a motor home. Perhaps a small travel trailer, or maybe an ultra-light.

But $9500 would buy this:

Gosh, if someone gave me that bottle, I would be afraid to drink it, let alone buying with my own money. I guess once a peasant, always a peasant.

Well, maybe another European trip. That way, my wife can also enjoy it as she does not drink.

PS. Doggone it! Just saw "No travel". Forget it, I will just give it to charity.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #11

Given the rules I've got nothing. I'll just wait until the next major breakdown or required replacement purchase around the house.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #12

How much chocolate could I get for $10,000?? I bet there is a lifetime membership in a chocolate of the month club somewhere... that might just work!
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #13

I guess I'd use it for a good chunk of the cost of a solar panel system for my currently non-existent house.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
HERE ARE THE RULES: No cars, boats, planes, motorcycles, RV's, or travel.
Well, hell, there goes Bangkok.

I'm going to have to favor LauAnn's "landscaping" answer.

Here's some other candidates:
1. More boat-based SCUBA diving (instead of shore dives on the North Shore). But then we'd still have about $9K left.
2. A 3mm neoprene rash guard jacket with high neck, long sleeves, and a zipper. But that's probably less than $250.
3. A new treadmill/elliptical, although the incumbents are more than challenging enough.
4. A new photovoltaic array, because the old one is not very efficient. But I'd still have about $3K left over after buying it, and the old one still makes as much power as we use.
5. A new solar water heater... and they're only a few hundred bucks.

All five of those items would probably still fit within $10K.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #15

One of my favourtite books. The listed price is negotiable but even then is still a little bit outside the $10K budget: F. Scott Fitzgerald - Tender is the Night| Bauman Rare Books

If I have to come in under $10K, then a camera upgrade would be nice - my EOS5D mark 1 still works fine but the backward compatibility issue on the software is a pain. The EOS 5D iii would be nice: Product Catalog - [ Canon Hongkong Company Limited ] It's "only" about $3K but I can't think of any other consumer item I really want.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Great ideas so far, everyone!

It's OK if it is a little over $10K, like traineeinvestor's book. After all, you might be able to haggle and get the price down to $10K.

It's OK if it is a lot of smaller things that would add up to $10K, like Nords' list.

Also, it's OK if you don't know how much it costs. Personally, I do not have the slightest clue how much it would cost for hurricane shutters but I am guessing $10K.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

1. New flooring for the family room, hall and office

or

2. Hot tub

These are actually things we plan to do within the next year or so (we bought a new house -- well new to us -- about 6 months ago)
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

I would break the rules and spend it on a trip with my SO, my daughter,SIL & two grandsons . The memories alone would be worth $10,000.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Wow, I did not know that novel by Fitzgerald would fetch that much money. I have not read the book, nor seen the 1962 movie based on it, but know of the theme song in that movie. It was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Movie Song in 1962.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #20

Next month we will be married 40 years. My wife has a ton of jewelry but now is wanting diamond "inside out" earrings. I saw a beautiful pair for $4000. She would love them. The balance would go toward a new Caddy SRX. Black Cherry color with some awesome wheels.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote