Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
I threaten her at times--but she rightly points out that I'd find it very difficult to move up in quality!
I'm only on post 6, and it's a 4 pager (so far), and I think this will be the big OT distraction. I'm off to watch Sully, so don't have time to read more.

But there is no way anyone besides my lovely DW who would have as much "quality"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

I look at it this way...

During my working life I've had a good fix of expensive stuff including flash cars, flying business and staying in expensive hotels but you know what? The marginal utility (if I can call it that) just is not that great. In fact there is a far bigger kick in paying very little for something which turns out to be great than in paying a lot for something which can (at best) meet expectation i.e. you paid a lot for it so you expect it to be great. My favorite hobby is hunting down wines which cost less than $10.

That's not to say I'm not 'want free' but I think the things I want now will have real utility e.g. an expensive racing bike. I see no value at all in flying business or staying in expensive hotels. We will live in a ski resort in retirement and once I've bought my annual lift ticket (c. $600) thats it for the season (I own my own kit)

Our 'bare bones' retirement budget is about $45-50k with a slug of entertainment / travel on top of about $25k so $75k in total but all my spreadsheets have a buffer of around $30k on top of that.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Has anyone on here found themselves wanting more after FIRE? Basically the numbers worked for an X K/yr RE but then you wanted more so those numbers no longer worked? I would like so much of a cushion that I could support a wide range or RE options.
Wanting more? A little Yes and mostly No.

I had a BIG cushion. Still do. Between conservative projections before ER and LBYM, the taxable account I figured would last until 59.5 has, at 62, enough for 2 more years at my YTD spending rate.

I find myself wanting a few things I couldn't have imagined as being willing to pay for while saving for retirement. I've rarely had more 'big wants' than I could afford or soon afford, so it will be easy to keep this in check. But who knows, so my answer to your question is 'yes and no'. I'd bet on 'no', but I'll know more if I give in next year to the first item on my want list.

Best reason to not delay ER is a saying related to all the posts above about trading time for money. They say retirement is like prison in that one has plenty of time to think about all the lives one didn't live. Been there, done that and learned a lot about myself. Life got better.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:04 AM   #84

I think most people seem to adjust their retirement date to achieve a desired lifestyle ( and hence portfolio size requirement). Some , like myself, adjusted (upwards in my case) our lifestyles in retirement to match the portfolio achieved as retirement was never a big objective for me until I got tired of working and this was quite late in my career. Lucky and unusual, I suspect.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have to say...I treasure each and every morning, drinking my cup of coffee, and reflecting on the day to come. Priceless. Remember getting up early to go to work?
Old 09-18-2016, 04:43 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Remember getting up early to go to work?
Please don't. I'm trying to forget all that....
Old 09-18-2016, 09:24 PM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Remember getting up early to go to work?
I still have to get up early at 5:30 and take the kiddo to the bus stop.

Then come home, enjoy a cup of coffee, read, watch netflix, snooze, whatever.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:59 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I still have to get up early at 5:30 and take the kiddo to the bus stop.
I get up at 5:30 also - to take a whiz, after which I go straight back to bed
Old 09-18-2016, 10:00 PM   #89

We travel a little, we enjoy hanging out together, we average around or under, generally under, $40K Canadian a year, (~ $30.4K US), we don't touch 'the nut', we don't care if friends/relatives get it when we're gone, and we don't feel that we're 'missing' anything.

But that's us.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:52 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

here is an example of me (maybe) wanting more: I have a 17 yr old Chevy truck. Love it. Got it for 3K under book. Had 110K on it when I got it. 155K now. All is well. But, I get in the wife's new(er) SUV that has heated seats. Oh mmm! Nice during the MD winter's. Recently on a work trip I rented a Mustang GT. Heated AND COOLED seats. Extra nice. Now when I get back in my old comfortable chevy truck it doesn't seem quite so nice. That's kind of what I was talking about in my OP about maybe wanting more and/or getting used to having more. Hey, in college beans, wieners and ramin noodles were just fine. Now, not so much.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I get up at 5:30 also - to take a whiz, after which I go straight back to bed
On the bright side, I'm making serious headway in my netflix queue between 6:15 am and 7:45 am (when round #2 of walking kids to places commences).

And just think, by 9 am, I've walked 2-2.5 miles, played in the park, maybe hit a few tennis balls around, AND watched 2 hour long episodes of something on netflix. That's ER productivity to the max if I've ever seen it.

Also interesting is that other people are up and doing stuff at 5:50 am on my walk to the bus stop. Even saw one guy loading guns into his car (I hope he was going to the range or going hunting?!?!).
Old 09-19-2016, 12:53 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by major tom View Post
i get up at 5:30 also - to take a whiz, after which i go straight back to bed
tmi, imo.....
Old 09-19-2016, 01:01 PM   #93

My apologies. No offense intended.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
My apologies. No offense intended.
Just kidding. When you gotta go, You gotta go.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:05 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
here is an example of me (maybe) wanting more: I have a 17 yr old Chevy truck. Love it. Got it for 3K under book. Had 110K on it when I got it. 155K now. All is well. But, I get in the wife's new(er) SUV that has heated seats. Oh mmm! Nice during the MD winter's. Recently on a work trip I rented a Mustang GT. Heated AND COOLED seats. Extra nice. Now when I get back in my old comfortable chevy truck it doesn't seem quite so nice. That's kind of what I was talking about in my OP about maybe wanting more and/or getting used to having more. Hey, in college beans, wieners and ramin noodles were just fine. Now, not so much.
If a new car is going to make you happy then you should go for it.

While you're driving your new Mustang GT in a rainstorm , you might see a Ferb hitchhiking. you can pick them up and get them to safety.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:13 AM   #96

"Has anyone on here found themselves wanting more after FIRE? Basically the numbers worked for an X K/yr RE but then you wanted more so those numbers no longer worked? I would like so much of a cushion that I could support a wide range or RE options."

I would have to say "yes" but...

I was FI at 51 but stayed until 58. I still liked what I was doing and I was able to pad the portfolio (as well as get the kids through school.) Once i was no longer having fun, I quit and now enjoy a life-style that, though I planned for it, still boggles my mind to an extent. I'm still quite frugal in some areas, but am willing to spend for what I really want. In our case, living in Paradise was the biggest splurge that we might not have afforded if we retired earlier. It's all a very personal choice - probably most dependent upon whether you can still endure going to w*rk for a while longer.

So, though we wanted more at retirement than we had planned for, we actually had more to make it happen. Maybe that's a "cheat" to OP's question.

YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #97

Quote:
Has anyone on here found themselves wanting more after FIRE? Basically the numbers worked for an X K/yr RE but then you wanted more so those numbers no longer worked? I would like so much of a cushion that I could support a wide range or RE options.
"Everyone" always wants more. But the key is what makes you happy. DW and I had numerous discussions before I ER'd regarding our post-retirement lifestyle (DW still w*rking by choice). I am a zealous budgeter, so I know what our expenses are (including sinking fund for major unforeseeable expenses).
Our assets, and current and future pensions, are way more than enough for our lifestyle. We know what makes us happy, and do not see any changes in that lifestyle. It's all a matter of how much you need in retirement spending, and if your assets and retirement income can support that.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #98
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
"Everyone" always wants more.
Not quite, IME. Some people are genuinely content with what they have, for whatever reasons.

Retired in 2009 at age 61.

Mini-pension 13%, SS 20%, investments 67%.

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:40 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
While you're driving your new Mustang GT in a rainstorm , you might see a Ferb hitchhiking. you can pick them up and get them to safety.
I don't think dropping those Ferbs at their van down by the river is "getting them to safety". Slum living is rough.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #100

Ah...it's a little after 10 AM and I am sitting on the front porch enjoying some wonderful coffee without a care in the world. Do I want more? Certainly not today.