Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It is wonderful, isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I'm 27 1/2 years into 'not working' - do I miss it? Do I.......

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:24 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I still have to get up early at 5:30 and take the kiddo to the bus stop.

Then come home, enjoy a cup of coffee, read, watch netflix, snooze, whatever.
Me too. Drop the kids at the bus stop early, hit a pokemon gym (or 2) to collect my coins before the college kids take them over again, walk the dog on the beach for 2 miles... home before 8am. I enjoy this lifestyle so much more than fighting traffic to get to work, then being stuck in a cube or windowless development lab, having to follow stupid decisions to make the bosses happy....

Quote:
I briefly had a moment of regret that we weren't 10-20x richer when I was researching some destinations in Europe for summer 2017's big trip. There's a really pretty lake in a scenic area kind of in the middle of nowhere in the Austrian Alps. The main hotel in town looked small but quaint, and not particularly luxurious. I figured we could stay there. Turns out it would be $1000+/nt for 2+ rooms to accommodate the five of us. No way I'm dropping that much cash!

BTW - your approach to your big Euro trip is/was similar to mine. I saw lots of fabulous hotels that were super pricey... And ended up in VRBO's that were much cheaper - but offered more space, a kitchen, etc. I had a budget of 1000 euro/week for lodging... I got by for a lot less in most places - which made up for Paris and London which were much more pricey. Hotels would have cost more and been less pleasant. (Having space is important when you're traveling with kids for multiple weeks!!!)

I'm looking forward to hearing about your European adventures!
Old 09-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #104
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Ah...it's a little after 10 AM and I am sitting on the front porch enjoying some wonderful coffee without a care in the world. Do I want more? Certainly not today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I'm 27 1/2 years into 'not working' - do I miss it? Do I.......
I sure don't!

Also, I am 100% content with what I have, and have been ever since I bought this house that I call my "dream house". I just don't long for anything that is not consistent with my present middle class existence. For me it took a lot of introspection and thought, to figure out what I really wanted and then figure out how to get it and then get it. To be honest it's a weird feeling to be completely content.

If somebody offered me a million dollars to go back to work for one day, I would turn it down. I'm serious.

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
BTW - your approach to your big Euro trip is/was similar to mine. I saw lots of fabulous hotels that were super pricey... And ended up in VRBO's that were much cheaper - but offered more space, a kitchen, etc. I had a budget of 1000 euro/week for lodging... I got by for a lot less in most places - which made up for Paris and London which were much more pricey. Hotels would have cost more and been less pleasant. (Having space is important when you're traveling with kids for multiple weeks!!!)

I'm looking forward to hearing about your European adventures!
Very good to hear. We're struggling with the scope of the trip. It started out with landing in Lisbon, working our way across the southern half of the continent to Vienna and Prague, then working back toward Paris via Belgium (completely omitting UK for now). It grew too ambitious so now we've pared it down to northern Italy, Austria (plus day trip to Slovakia), southern Germany (maybe dipping into France like to Strasbourg), Hungary and Czech (with Slovenia recently tossed in the mix).

Ideally I'd like 5-7 days in each city we visit. I'm planning on booking flights in mid-October using United miles and hopefully snag an ideal flight schedule (connecting through Washington Dulles is most likely).

Once I get my thoughts/ideas sorted I'll probably put up a big thread on it here and seek more advice since we've never been to Europe before.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:06 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I sure don't!

Also, I am 100% content with what I have, and have been ever since I bought this house that I call my "dream house". I just don't long for anything that is not consistent with my present middle class existence. For me it took a lot of introspection and thought, to figure out what I really wanted and then figure out how to get it and then get it. To be honest it's a weird feeling to be completely content.

If somebody offered me a million dollars to go back to work for one day, I would turn it down. I'm serious.
I love the sense of contentment and gratitude in your posts.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #107

I think not 'wanting more' is what got most of us to this forum.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:09 PM   #108
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Iím often surprised on this forum at how many people (and many are couples) are willing to retire on $40-60K a year in order to retire in their late 40ís or early 50ís. I donít have the desire or the guts to do that. If I was a whiz software engineer or had extensive experience in corporate American and knew that I could go back to work and find an equivalent job if needed, it might be different. And I have no home repair or car repair skills although I can cook, clean, paint, and do most of my yard work. So retirement is final and there is no going back; I had better make certain that my income is sufficient for the rest of my life.

I started with a planned retirement income that was $10-15K less than my current goal but unexpected home repairs threw me in a panic and caused me to rethink my budget. So I'm in OMY mode. And like bclover and flyingaway's wife, I prefer comfort and some travel.

we are willing to retire on that amount because its what we live on now and love our lives and do everything we want.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Very good to hear. We're struggling with the scope of the trip. It started out with landing in Lisbon, working our way across the southern half of the continent to Vienna and Prague, then working back toward Paris via Belgium (completely omitting UK for now). It grew too ambitious so now we've pared it down to northern Italy, Austria (plus day trip to Slovakia), southern Germany (maybe dipping into France like to Strasbourg), Hungary and Czech (with Slovenia recently tossed in the mix).

Ideally I'd like 5-7 days in each city we visit. I'm planning on booking flights in mid-October using United miles and hopefully snag an ideal flight schedule (connecting through Washington Dulles is most likely).

Once I get my thoughts/ideas sorted I'll probably put up a big thread on it here and seek more advice since we've never been to Europe before.
I'm sure you're familiar with Clark Howard? His website is Clark.com.

He has a radio show and a podcast and often gives people travel advice about traveling to Europe and all around the world.
He's very frugal and travels with his kids. He is a multi millionaire but he's really hard-core about saving money.

His website has a lot of great information about travel and I bet if you make arrangements to call his radio show he would love to hear your story about retiring early. He actually retired early himself .
I guess he would fall into the FERB category.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:40 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post

He has a radio show and a podcast and often gives people travel advice about traveling to Europe and all around the world.
He's very frugal and travels with his kids. He is a multi millionaire but he's really hard-core about saving money.

His website has a lot of great information about travel and I bet if you make arrangements to call his radio show he would love to hear your story about retiring early. He actually retired early himself .
Good point on Clark. He's an Atlanta icon and was doling out GOOD financial advice LONG, LONG before Suzy Orman and that preacher dude came along. His frugality is pretty awesome, but he does have a VERY nice home in town...much, much more than I would ever own!
Old 09-21-2016, 05:44 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - fish camp over Lake Pontchartrain, Kansas City with farm in Northern Missouri, 23 years ER this year. Retirement income has varied 10X with some large variations in the stretch.

heh heh heh - ER is good. Also it can be good and interesting at times.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Good point on Clark. He's an Atlanta icon and was doling out GOOD financial advice LONG, LONG before Suzy Orman and that preacher dude came along. His frugality is pretty awesome, but he does have a VERY nice home in town...much, much more than I would ever own!
Yes Clark Howard seems like a cool guy. He is super humble about his wealth.
Clark Howard just makes me want to travel because he is so passionate about it .

I'm guessing the preacher dude is Dave Ramsey? Dave Ramsey constantly brags about how much money and real estate he has.
Dave Ramsey is really anti-early retirement , it's really funny when people call the show and they want to retire early.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I must admit. If some one offered me a million bucks to go back to work for one day, I' go back to work... FOR ONE DAY!
Old 09-21-2016, 07:28 PM   #114

I'm in for "the million dollars a day plan" for as long as it goes -
Old 09-21-2016, 07:47 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post

Was this the Clark Howard you are talking about? 5 lessons from a man who retired at 33 | Clark Howard

I'm a little familiar with him. I bet he would be interested in my early retirement story.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:47 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I must admit. If some one offered me a million bucks to go back to work for one day, I' go back to work... FOR ONE DAY!
I might go back for several days. Hmmm what to do with an extra 3-4 million dollars...
Old 09-21-2016, 08:27 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I'm in for "the million dollars a day plan" for as long as it goes -

Quote:
I might go back for several days. Hmmm what to do with an extra 3-4 million dollars...

I don't know... Let me see the day. Over my career there were things I did that I would not do for a million today (physically risky) since I don't NEED it. But give me one of those easy or hard-but-hugely-satisfying days and I'd do it in a heartbeat!
Old 09-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #118

Yup. Think about it. A couple days work...

First class airfare
First class hotels
Wagyu beef
Caviar and lobster

For the rest of your life -
Old 09-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #119

When you are 60 with your 2nd vette and 130k SWR, try buying back that 6 years of late 40s living and see how much it costs you. I bet it costs a lot to go back in time.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Was this the Clark Howard you are talking about? 5 lessons from a man who retired at 33 | Clark Howard

I'm a little familiar with him. I bet he would be interested in my early retirement story.
That's funny. I think I remember Clark talking about your story on his podcast .

You should do a segment with Clark Howard about traveling to Europe on a budget with kids.

Clark Howard has discussed this whole movement or fad that's popular with The millennial generation of working just 10 years and saving 50% of that income and retiring early hoping that Vanguard will take you to the promise land.