Levels of FI

I love a deal like most people. However, we have spent plenty on some of our trips. We don't skip a trip because of the expense. some locations are more expensive then others. When we went to Italy for 2 weeks we spent double what we did in Poland for the same amount of time. We want to see Ireland/Scotland and those are 2 expensive countries. OUr cruise to Alaska was more expensive then going to the Caribbean. One reason we don't do super luxury trips is that it would reduce the # of trips we could take. It is the same reason that we are now using our RV for close trips. When I saw that is cost us 6k for a month trip mostly for sites and gas with me doing all the cooking it does not seem worth it when we could take a cruise for 2 weeks for the same price.

Obviously, but many of the travel posts are detailing how inexpensive a trip is. We don't often read about the very expensive, luxurious ones. Makes sense as that is the dominant culture here. No issues for me. I just dont talk about our trips in a way that will ruffle feathers. Which it surely would.

There are some (many?) posters here that are FIREd with a million or so in assets while others have 20-30x that. It's natural to have different tastes and ideas of "how to travel" when your travel budget might be $5k per year instead of $100k+.

It's also a bit of a one way street in that those posters with more limited means can't choose highly luxurious vacations due to limited resources (unless they go back to w*rk!), whereas those with greater means can choose luxury, or can choose more basic travel (and I gather that some here do choose budget travel in spite of having way more than they are likely to every spend in their lifetimes).

My own interest in budget travel comes from stretching my travel budget as far as possible while still going places and seeing things I desire to see. It's like when I book steerage class on a cruise ship but in the theater and dining room I sit next to the guy that paid 10-20x as much. I don't fault him for enjoying what he has, but I smile knowing us little guys are enjoying some of the same stuff the big guy enjoys. :D

There are some (many?) posters here that are FIREd with a million or so in assets while others have 20-30x that. It's natural to have different tastes and ideas of "how to travel" when your travel budget might be $5k per year instead of $100k+.

It's also a bit of a one way street in that those posters with more limited means can't choose highly luxurious vacations due to limited resources (unless they go back to w*rk!), whereas those with greater means can choose luxury, or can choose more basic travel (and I gather that some here do choose budget travel in spite of having way more than they are likely to every spend in their lifetimes).

My own interest in budget travel comes from stretching my travel budget as far as possible while still going places and seeing things I desire to see. It's like when I book steerage class on a cruise ship but in the theater and dining room I sit next to the guy that paid 10-20x as much. I don't fault him for enjoying what he has, but I smile knowing us little guys are enjoying some of the same stuff the big guy enjoys. :D

Yes, I understand and agree.

The choice doesn't have to be disjunctive! One can alternate--and enjoy the feeling of beating the system on a carefully-researched budget trip. :dance:

Personally I'd prefer private jets and five star hotels and Michelin rated restaurants.
Unfortunately that would bring my travel frequency down from ten trips a year to one every few years.
Maybe when I get to tap the IRA at 59.5 ..... For now it's off to a drive down the 101, an Air BnB and free concerts in Golden Gate Park for the upcoming weekend.

lol, I just find it interesting....
We advocate LBYM, saving for a rainy day and supposedly ER'ing to enjoy life but then we very quickly judge those who following those very suggestion but enjoy spending their cash differently.

I always feel like if I admit that yes, I went to Paris and we stayed at the Hotel du Louve, and loved it, it will be like that scene out of the movie Invasion of the body snatchers, where the zombies figure out the hero is human and they all point and say "not one of us" :LOL:

The choice doesn't have to be disjunctive! One can alternate--and enjoy the feeling of beating the system on a carefully-researched budget trip. :dance:

+1

One factor, perhaps, is that it's always 'easier' (personal preferences aside) to spend more for something than it is to spend less?
We just cut short a trip to Predator Ridge because we were not getting the value we expected, and stayed at NK'Mip, better in all ways and 34% cheaper for a 1BR suite versus a studio. We will be posting our opinions on TripAdviser to warn others.

It's Louvre, right? That's the place with huge hordes of people pushing and shoving to see the tiny a$$ little painting of that chick with the smile on her face. Or is it a frown?

I hear it's so busy no one even goes there any more.

LOL. My son did a selfie of the hordes in front of the Mona Lisa.... People completely packed the room. Couldn't get near the Mona Lisa if you wanted to... It was pretty funny.

That said - don't skip the Louvre... Go for the Médicis gallery. Amazing Rubens!

Attachments

• IMG_20150726_123446.jpg
    IMG_20150726_123446.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
LOL. My son did a selfie of the hordes in front of the Mona Lisa.... People completely packed the room. Couldn't get near the Mona Lisa if you wanted to... It was pretty funny.

That said - don't skip the Louvre... Go for the Médicis gallery. Amazing Rubens!

Now I want to go to the Louvre just to watch this nonsense going on. Why people why?

But in all seriousness, how does it compare to other major art museums around the world? Versus the Metropolitan Museum of art in NYC for example? That was more art than we could consume in a day and walking through room after room of works from the best known masters stopped impressing me after the first hour or two. The swords and armor on the other hand were amazing. :)

I love the Louvre and artist DH could live there for a month, but maybe that's just us. We always go to art museums wherever we go of all genres and I love to get his take on the exhibits. By all means skip the Louvre if it's not your thing but other people might enjoy it just we did.

Yes, the crowd around the Mona Lisa is a little nuts, but the Louvre is still a great museum. Don't miss it on account of that. Another great one for me was the Vatican Museum.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

But in all seriousness, how does it compare to other major art museums around the world?

Well, it's the worlds largest museum, about twice the size of the Vatican.

The building itself has traces back to the 12th century. If you're in Paris anyway it's one of these things.

I'd personally sidestep the Mona Lisa because of the crowds, yet still go.

LOL, I think I was most disappointed in the size. I don't know why but for some reason I thought the thing was huge, and then add to the fact that the salon it is in has some really awesome tapestry that I thought were better.

I think the old gal is just like any tourist destination where it's a "must-see" then when you see it you're "meh". I was born and raised in NYC and my parents never ever let me go down to times square to watch the ball drop on NY's eve. so of course that is all I wanted to do. well finally, finally when I turned 19 I went down and said..."you gotta be freakin kidding me" (pg version). I stayed down here for 5 hours in the cold for this??

Now I want to go to the Louvre just to watch this nonsense going on. Why people why?

But in all seriousness, how does it compare to other major art museums around the world? Versus the Metropolitan Museum of art in NYC for example? That was more art than we could consume in a day and walking through room after room of works from the best known masters stopped impressing me after the first hour or two. The swords and armor on the other hand were amazing. :)

And that happens to many folks, my sister in an interior designer so her version of Heaven is the Louvre but for me a few hours is enough. It is massive and I did like the wide variety of art from so many era's.

It's like many destinations where there are very slow times during the week and even during the day. I've seen ole Mona once so now when I go I skip her all together.

I like Musee D'orsay better mainly because I like impressionist art (Monet, Renoir etc etc) but if I go to Paris, I go to the Louvre.

LOL, I think I was most disappointed in the size. I don't know why but for some reason I thought the thing was huge

Join the club.....that was my immediate reaction 50+ years ago! :LOL:

Join the club.....that was my immediate reaction 50+ years ago! :LOL:

I haven't been to Paris, but DW and I did go to Italy. One of our stops was to the Vatican and of course Sistine Chapel. The ceiling was, to me, "nice" to marvel at. BUT, what blew me away was Michelangelo's Last Judgment fresco in the same chapel room.
While seemingly everyone else was looking up, I spent almost the entire time looking straight at that fresco.

I haven't been to Paris, but DW and I did go to Italy. One of our stops was to the Vatican and of course Sistine Chapel. The ceiling was, to me, "nice" to marvel at. BUT, what blew me away was Michelangelo's Last Judgment fresco in the same chapel room.
While seemingly everyone else was looking up, I spent almost the entire time looking straight at that fresco.

I've seen pics of that fresco, (but not the thing itself), quite 'busy', isn't it?

(The size of the Mona Lisa just reminded me of when I went 'back' to school, (I say 'back' because I'd hardly ever attended in the first place, so perhaps it should be 'went'); we 'took' The Sun Also Rises, and at one point I commented that one character's wife ran off with a midget.

When challenged by the instructor, I noted that she had eloped with a 'miniature painter'........and then had to suffer this obtuse individual 'explaining' that he wasn't a midget, but rather a person who painted miniatures...........sheesh.)

I've seen pics of that fresco, (but not the thing itself), quite 'busy', isn't it?

Yah, "busy" for sure, or maybe "complex" is more apt. He had a lot to tell in that one fresco. I guess the "busy-ness" is what kept me rapt the entire time we were there.

For all the folks who don't see the annoying attitude of superiority regarding the "right" way and the "real" way to travel which is sometimes (not always) in evidence in this forum, I give you: Exhibit A.

There is no need to mock the choices others make, just because they differ from your own. :cool:

Yes the attitude is awkward.

So now we are ripping on One of the best museums on the planet. :confused:

If you go to London,Paris,Rome etc. during peak travel season yes it's going to be crowded.

If you can't afford to go to Paris, why make fun of people who make the journey to see One of the most famous paintings on the planet.

Last edited:
Yes the attitude is awkward.

So now we are ripping on One of the best museums on the planet. :confused:

Personally I thought the Yogi Berra quote at the end of the initial post would've been a tip off as to the entire submission's facetious nature.

I think the old gal is just like any tourist destination where it's a "must-see" then when you see it you're "meh". I was born and raised in NYC and my parents never ever let me go down to times square to watch the ball drop on NY's eve. so of course that is all I wanted to do. well finally, finally when I turned 19 I went down and said..."you gotta be freakin kidding me" (pg version). I stayed down here for 5 hours in the cold for this??

I think that sort of happens with anyone who grows up in a place that has a lot of famous landmarks. I grew up near Washington, D.C. and just about the only times I went to any of the landmarks was on school field trips. Surrounded by all that history, I was "meh". The only exception was when some friends and I rode our bicycles down to the Washington Monument and walked up and down the stairs, then rode back home. But that was more for something to do that day, not to appreciate the history.

I forget when they closed the stairs to the public, I think about 1985 or so. Too many people were having heart attacks.

Personally I thought the Yogi Berra quote at the end of the initial post would've been a tip off as to the entire submission's facetious nature.

I wish there were a Louvre sized school of humor with mandatory attendance.

I wish there were a Louvre sized school of humor with mandatory attendance.

The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and asks “Can you make me one with everything?”

Back
Top Bottom