Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-25-2016, 07:40 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Of course, don't you know?

As soon as you taste the "good life" you will be addicted and spend your nest egg in 5 years and live out the rest of your miserable existence on the street in a cardboard box.

These are the terrifying truths that will manifest to all who leave the "frugal path"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2016, 07:59 PM   #162
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Of course, don't you know?

As soon as you taste the "good life" you will be addicted and spend your nest egg in 5 years and live out the rest of your miserable existence on the street in a cardboard box.

These are the terrifying truths that will manifest to all who leave the "frugal path"

lol, I just find it interesting....
We advocate LBYM, saving for a rainy day and supposedly ER'ing to enjoy life but then we very quickly judge those who following those very suggestion but enjoy spending their cash differently.

I always feel like if I admit that yes, I went to Paris and we stayed at the Hotel du Louve, and loved it, it will be like that scene out of the movie Invasion of the body snatchers, where the zombies figure out the hero is human and they all point and say "not one of us"

Old 09-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #163
Administrator

The young wife and I are most definitely not budget travelers. We like good food and wine and a nice place to stay, and we are quite willing to pony up for experiences that we can't get sitting at home. I have described a number of our trips on this forum, and I have never felt that anyone here was asking me to apologize for my vacation spending.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:34 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Sorry, I have a serious issue with the superiority attitude that in order to be a "real" traveler one must go a certain way.
We travel at 'ground level' because that is our preference, (I don't particularly like hotels, and I really don't like people pretending to fuss over me), if other people want to do it differently, good luck to them.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's Louvre, right? That's the place with huge hordes of people pushing and shoving to see the tiny a$$ little painting of that chick with the smile on her face. Or is it a frown?

I hear it's so busy no one even goes there any more.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:45 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
It's Louvre, right? That's the place with huge hordes of people pushing and shoving to see the tiny a$$ little painting of that chick with the smile on her face. Or is it a frown?

For all the folks who don't see the annoying attitude of superiority regarding the "right" way and the "real" way to travel which is sometimes (not always) in evidence in this forum, I give you: Exhibit A.

There is no need to mock the choices others make, just because they differ from your own.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:32 AM   #167
Administrator

I'll let Fuego speak for himself, but that seemed tongue-in-cheek to me.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:44 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I guess its statements like "budget travel is more real and healthier" that leave me flummoxed. The implication seems to be because one stays at the Mandarian Oriental some how their trip is not "authentic" or if one does not see how the "locals" live, why bother.

it's all good
Old 09-26-2016, 05:52 AM   #169

Quote:

Naaa that's not the place. The Louvre is the marvelous museum where you can go on off hours and see absolutely magnificent works of art in all types of medium. If you have children they host superb treasure hunts that are fun and expose youngin's to art or you can do like I did and sign up for a photography class that takes you around.

the only hordes evident are at the entrances which because of the recent terror attacks in France have become super fortified.

You must be thinking of Versailles.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:28 AM   #170

I think in a lot of places you really don't want to see how the locals live anyway.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:26 AM   #171

I have 6 months to RE. I make around $125K and taking out savings and taxes, DW and I live on $80-85K of that. No mortgage. I am expecting that our RE spending will be about the same, just spent a bit differently, including more on travel and health insurance, and less in some other areas.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

Ding ding ding! What does he win?

Go see what you want to see, stay where you want to stay, live/eat/sleep/party like the locals or don't. Nobody really cares if we spent $1000 on a month long budget road trip or other people camp inside the Louve, Louvre, or whatever (just don't camp in the Loo) for $1000/nt.

Part of the fun of this forum to me is seeing how other people choose to spend money and comparing it with how we spend money. Occasionally I learn something and incorporate what I observe here in my own spending decisions. My objective function (like most here, I imagine) is maximizing my value received per dollar spent (within my budget of course) and not minimizing all expenses (because travel isn't necessary and $0 would be spent if minimization was the goal). Everyone has different parameters for what they value and how they spend money.

Some desire to work longer to save more and afford a higher class of travel (or cars, or houses, or something else that costs money). Some want to work less, and live frugally, making the most of what they have.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #173

I agree that there is no right or wrong way to travel. Enjoying life is what it is all about)
Old 09-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I agree that there is no right or wrong way to travel. Enjoying life is what it is all about)
Obviously, but many of the travel posts are detailing how inexpensive a trip is. We don't often read about the very expensive, luxurious ones. Makes sense as that is the dominant culture here. No issues for me. I just dont talk about our trips in a way that will ruffle feathers. Which it surely would.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Obviously, but many of the travel posts are detailing how inexpensive a trip is.
One factor, perhaps, is that it's always 'easier' (personal preferences aside) to spend more for something than it is to spend less?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #176

I love a deal like most people. However, we have spent plenty on some of our trips. We don't skip a trip because of the expense. some locations are more expensive then others. When we went to Italy for 2 weeks we spent double what we did in Poland for the same amount of time. We want to see Ireland/Scotland and those are 2 expensive countries. OUr cruise to Alaska was more expensive then going to the Caribbean. One reason we don't do super luxury trips is that it would reduce the # of trips we could take. It is the same reason that we are now using our RV for close trips. When I saw that is cost us 6k for a month trip mostly for sites and gas with me doing all the cooking it does not seem worth it when we could take a cruise for 2 weeks for the same price.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Obviously, but many of the travel posts are detailing how inexpensive a trip is. We don't often read about the very expensive, luxurious ones. Makes sense as that is the dominant culture here. No issues for me. I just dont talk about our trips in a way that will ruffle feathers. Which it surely would.
There are some (many?) posters here that are FIREd with a million or so in assets while others have 20-30x that. It's natural to have different tastes and ideas of "how to travel" when your travel budget might be $5k per year instead of $100k+.

It's also a bit of a one way street in that those posters with more limited means can't choose highly luxurious vacations due to limited resources (unless they go back to w*rk!), whereas those with greater means can choose luxury, or can choose more basic travel (and I gather that some here do choose budget travel in spite of having way more than they are likely to every spend in their lifetimes).

My own interest in budget travel comes from stretching my travel budget as far as possible while still going places and seeing things I desire to see. It's like when I book steerage class on a cruise ship but in the theater and dining room I sit next to the guy that paid 10-20x as much. I don't fault him for enjoying what he has, but I smile knowing us little guys are enjoying some of the same stuff the big guy enjoys.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:04 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
One factor, perhaps, is that it's always 'easier' (personal preferences aside) to spend more for something than it is to spend less?
Agree.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #179

Quote:
There are some (many?) posters here that are FIREd with a million or so in assets while others have 20-30x that. It's natural to have different tastes and ideas of "how to travel" when your travel budget might be $5k per year instead of $100k+.

It's also a bit of a one way street in that those posters with more limited means can't choose highly luxurious vacations due to limited resources (unless they go back to w*rk!), whereas those with greater means can choose luxury, or can choose more basic travel (and I gather that some here do choose budget travel in spite of having way more than they are likely to every spend in their lifetimes).

My own interest in budget travel comes from stretching my travel budget as far as possible while still going places and seeing things I desire to see. It's like when I book steerage class on a cruise ship but in the theater and dining room I sit next to the guy that paid 10-20x as much. I don't fault him for enjoying what he has, but I smile knowing us little guys are enjoying some of the same stuff the big guy enjoys.
Yes, I understand and agree.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:11 PM   #180

Quote:

The choice doesn't have to be disjunctive! One can alternate--and enjoy the feeling of beating the system on a carefully-researched budget trip.