Levels of possessions

Ditto! Downsizing has felt liberating. Downsizing my book collection was the hardest part!

I know, DW loves books. If I get her a Kindle, can you buy at a reasonable price the books she HAS to have, and load them on there?

Ditto! Downsizing has felt liberating. Downsizing my book collection was the hardest part!
Liberating for us too, though books took care of themselves too. I love books, but I resolved long ago that I wouldn't let myself accumulate more books than I could fit in 1 full sized bookcase (that I made myself). It holds several hundred, and I get rid of a book if needed to make space for a new one. After 35 years, I quit sailing a year ago, and culled about half my sailing books then, emptying about half of one shelf. Old books I'll never need again, gave them to young sailors/racers.

Probably because my parents and sister have kept every book they ever bought and they're all over their homes, even though they'll never read at least 80% of them ever again.

Last edited:

Since I am knee-deep into it, I find downsizing somewhat bitter sweet. On the one hand, a lot of stuff should have gone to the dumpster a long time ago and it feels great to finally get rid of it. On the other hand, there are things that are hard to toss in the trash. Thankfully, a lot of those things can be stored in digital format (photos, greeting cards, letters, drawings from my niece, books, home movies, etc...).

Typical American :)

I contract only for snow plowing service.

My plow guy bought a new truck and plow last summer. Has to be frustrated at the lack of snow. I'll admit that he is good in that there have been a couple 3-4" snowfalls where he could have come but the forecast was for rain so he didn't.

My plow guy I had before this guy seemed to come if we got 2" - which pi**ed me off since it wasn't necessary.

The new guy was in to paperless billing before it was fashionable - he calls his customers on the first of each month and tells us what we owe - saves on paper and stamps!! I admire his frugality.

I do it the way shown in the second picture, but the first picture actually looks a bit better to me.

Amethyst said:
What really frosts me is the following "safety feature" dreamed up by the manufacturers - I use heavy-duty outdoor electric cable with 3-prong male and female ends, but the hedge trimmer and chain saw only have TWO prong plugs - the better to suddenly fall out, causing the machine to quit while you're using it.

Amethyst

Here is the solution: always attach the cord to the extension cord with a knot. That is, a simple overhand knot -- cross the cords, and bring the plugs back and plug them in.

MooreBonds said:
35 years young,

You're not allowed to use that expression unless you are over 70.

FIREd said:
Since I am knee-deep into it, I find downsizing somewhat bitter sweet. On the one hand, a lot of stuff should have gone to the dumpster a long time ago and it feels great to finally get rid of it. On the other hand, there are things that are hard to toss in the trash. Thankfully, a lot of those things can be stored in digital format (photos, greeting cards, letters, drawings from my niece, books, home movies, etc...).

Digital is great. I took digital photos of some of the "treasures" I gave up. It helped, but I do remember it was tough in the moment, and liberating after. Good luck!

When my late wife and I sold our place, in 1997, to go full time RVing, we cleared out everything except our 'treasures' (which went into storage)........the whole process was very cathartic.

After she died, early 2002, I continued solo for a couple years.....in 2004, when I started going through the boxes, I wondered, a number of times, "What the &%$# did we keep this for?"

Back
Top Bottom