Join Early Retirement Today

Liability Protection
Old 02-13-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Liability Protection

I'm posting this question here because I consider it to be financial in nature..If I'm wrong, my apologies..I want liability protection that protects me basically for anyone that is injured on my 65 acre farm including in and around my house. I want protection for injuries sustained by my house cleaner, a yard man, a tree trimmer, a roof repair man, a fence builder, a tractor operator...you get the idea..I rarely pay anyone to do these things but as I get older I find myself hiring people to do more around here..I'm told my homeowners policy will not do it, a farm employee liability policy will not do it, an umbrella policy will not do it..Does anyone else have liability protection that covers ALL those listed? I live in Texas..Thanks..
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
Administrator

Umbrella liability insurance that covers farms should satisfy this need. Here’s one example (not a recommendations, just an example. https://www.amfam.com/insurance/umbrella/farm-ranch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #3

I can understand the home-owner's policy not covering the people working on things not in and of "The House" or immediate grounds i.e. that tractor guy, well-digger, anything farm-work related. But my understanding of the liability portion of homeowner's insurance is that it exists specifically for accidents that happen in or about the "home" i.e patio, lawn, backyard, garage etc. And that would mean a plumber, a roofer, a lawn care guy and normal household traffic

Maybe we all need elucidation on this....?
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I can understand the home-owner's policy not covering the people working on things not in and of "The House" or immediate grounds i.e. that tractor guy, well-digger, anything farm-work related. But my understanding of the liability portion of homeowner's insurance is that it exists specifically for accidents that happen in or about the "home" i.e patio, lawn, backyard, garage etc. And that would mean a plumber, a roofer, a lawn care guy and normal household traffic

Maybe we all need elucidation on this....?
That's what I thought too..My agent and one of his competitors told me that homeowners will cover accidents to visitors..Employees including anyone you are paying for a service are not covered except possibly in the case of a caregiver..
Old 02-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Umbrella liability insurance that covers farms should satisfy this need. Here’s one example (not a recommendations, just an example. https://www.amfam.com/insurance/umbrella/farm-ranch
My agent gave me a quote for a similar policy but told me it would not cover people working on my house or lawn..
Old 02-13-2019, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
That's what I thought too..My agent and one of his competitors told me that homeowners will cover accidents to visitors..Employees including anyone you are paying for a service are not covered except possibly in the case of a caregiver..
AH! OK I see a distinction. Someone you are paying to do work could be:

A) A contractor. That plumber, carpet cleaner, roofer, lawn care guy. As a contractor that business owner would or should have his own insurance. Your homeowner's policy would never or almost never enter the picture there.

Or...

B) Someone essentially on your own "payroll," so to speak. That's where the basis of this thread really lies. i.e. Outside businesses who aren't insured (most likely making them illegal anyway) and people who are a legal extension of yourself making you responsible for them. This is why I don't hire kids to shovel my walkway.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The safest thing is to hire people who are insured. And make sure they are *actually* insured. Reputable companies will readily give you this information and I have found that it's very easy to confirm w/ the insurance companies.

In the law world, the distinction is that people on your property are either invitees (there for business) or licensee (there for pleasure). And yes, the terms are correct...I didn't put them in backwards. Makes a whole lot of sense, right?
Old 02-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
My agent gave me a quote for a similar policy but told me it would not cover people working on my house or lawn..
Is your agent saying that the policy coverage you want is not available, or only that he does not sell any? Hard to believe there is no policy to cover all liability on a farm.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

This article is very good in discussing some issues that farmers may have to deal with.

https://www.farmanddairy.com/top-sto...rm/385382.html
Old 02-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Is your agent saying that the policy coverage you want is not available, or only that he does not sell any? Hard to believe there is no policy to cover all liability on a farm.
We had a couple of "Farm and Home" policies when we were on a farm. They were advised as coverage for all legit activities. I think it was through AmFam. That said our agent was a crook and would have sold anything to up his profit.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #11

Covering farm hands would not be difficult ..The hitch is covering those people one may hire to work around the house..I don't know many bonded and insured maids or yard men... I believe many think they have coverage they don't have..
Old 02-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Covering farm hands would not be difficult ..The hitch is covering those people one may hire to work around the house..I don't know many bonded and insured maids or yard men... I believe many think they have coverage they don't have..
Well it's up to you to only hire ones that are covered, even though they will be more expensive than the shady operator cutting corners.

And since you will be paying more, best to confirm they are covered, when they claim they are covered.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Well it's up to you to only hire ones that are covered, even though they will be more expensive than the shady operator cutting corners.

And since you will be paying more, best to confirm they are covered, when they claim they are covered.
I guess I could check with my shady house cleaner to see if she is insured but should she fall down my stairs I'm not sure just exactly how that would protect me from a civil suit..