Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=thinker25;874694I hardly ever watch TV as such - but am somewhat addicted to an occasional show. Dollhouse, currently.[/QUOTE]

You have been rescued:

'Dollhouse' shuts its doors - From Inside the Box - Zap2it

'Dollhouse': Why we're happy it got canceled (other than the obvious) - From Inside the Box - Zap2it
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
I am still confused. What I've got now is digital cable and netflix, 50" DLP HD TV. What I don't have is Tivo or any DVR recorder.

I hardly ever watch TV as such - but am somewhat addicted to an occasional show. Dollhouse, currently. A lot of them can be watched on my PC monitor but I'd like to watch them on the TV. We watch a LOT of movies from netflix.

What's the best device to get the PC content (last week's show's of Mad Men or whatever) to the TV?

We have competition for cable in our area and they offered me a phenomenal deal when I mentioned switching :-)
If your PC doesn't have an HDMI output, then probably a monitor cable (SVGA) - (or a S-video or component/composit video as another possibility). Key is to choose the best matching connections between your PCs outputs and your TV inputs. I regularly use a long SVGA monitor cable my son gave me to connect TV to my laptop. It does quite well, if you know the little trick for sending picture to alt monitor. For regular PC just unplug monitor plug into TV wallah 50" monitor.

I'll bet the phenomenal will eventually wear off the deal they offer...
JustNtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What's the best device to get the PC content (last week's show's of Mad Men or whatever) to the TV?
Have you looked at any of the stuff in this thread?:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post874614

Of course, there is always the "sneaker" net -- record your PC content onto a DVD and play it in the player connected to the TV.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Have you looked at any of the stuff in this thread?:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post874614

Of course, there is always the "sneaker" net -- record your PC content onto a DVD and play it in the player connected to the TV.
Yes, I actually read the whole thread, but there were so many options I wasn't sure which one was the best for me.
DeborahB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustNtime View Post
If your PC doesn't have an HDMI output, then probably a monitor cable (SVGA) - (or a S-video or component/composit video as another possibility). Key is to choose the best matching connections between your PCs outputs and your TV inputs. I regularly use a long SVGA monitor cable my son gave me to connect TV to my laptop. It does quite well, if you know the little trick for sending picture to alt monitor. For regular PC just unplug monitor plug into TV wallah 50" monitor.

I'll bet the phenomenal will eventually wear off the deal they offer...
Thanks! The phenomenal deal has been going on for 10 years now - who am I to argue with the cable gods who want to charge me less?
Old 11-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #46

Alas! I am a Dollhouse fan (although it's nowhere near as good as Firefly, another cancelled show)... At least they are going to air the remaining episodes.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #47

Quote:
Alas! I am a Dollhouse fan (although it's nowhere near as good as Firefly, another cancelled show)... At least they are going to air the remaining episodes.
It is sad, though I would have liked the show better if the lead had been almost any other Joss Whedon alum other than Eliza Dushku. Amy Acker and Summer Glau are much better actresses and would have been able to carry the show better. Hopefully the guy who played Victor will land somewhere good -- he is phenomenal.

Speaking of Firefly, the opening scene of the pre-Halloween episode of the show Castle was hilarious with Nathan Fillion dressing up as Mal, and lines like "didn't you wear that like five years ago?".

Gotta say that among my monthly expenses, the $100 for HD cable and DVR is probably one of the cheapest on a per-hour basis. We watch sports and DVR quite a number of shows.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I actually read the whole thread, but there were so many options I wasn't sure which one was the best for me.
Yeah, that is the bad news... and the good news. You can "have it your way."

But it actually is much less complicated than you would think. This is all it took for me to have everything a TIVO offers (remember, I don't subscribe to cable/satellite):

1. Connected an HDHomeRun Tuner to my on-the-roof antennae.
2. Connected Tuner to PC. (ethernet LAN)
3. Connected SageTV HD Theater to Tuner (ethernet LAN)
4. Connected Sage TV to TV (HDMI but several other options) I also connected the sound output to a Receiver but this is not necessary unless you want surround sound.
5. Installed Sage software on PC and ran setup (similar to what you do with the TV to set station locations).
6. Sat back and enjoyed myself.

I would recommend getting a USB external drive to store your recordings on. (I have seen 1TB drives at Sam's Club for around $100.)

YMMV Good luck.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This post tells how I record from the computer. You could send the input directly to the TV.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post834663
Old 11-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This post tells how I record from the computer. You could send the input directly to the TV.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post834663
I don't know how I missed that thread. On the other hand, looks like I had lots of company.
The Canadian Situation
Old 11-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

The Canadian Situation

We currently pay around $120/month for local phone, mid tier HD cable and no cap internet + a digital box + PVR. Not bad, but it can easily float to $200 /mth if you don't exercise some restraint. Every 6 mths or so, I call my provider, threaten to cancel, and they offer me the deal de jour. So I manage to keep my bill at around 120-140.

The local phone service is the easiest to replace. I already use Skype for long distance, so I figure that eventually a cell will replace the home phone.

I would love to drop the HD Cable, but I also love HD on my 2 HDTVs. In Canada, you have to use a US proxy to access online US content, but it is doable. In Nova Scotia, we don`t yet have OTA HD. If we did, I`d drop the Cable immediately.

At the end of the day, high speed internet is the only service I see me paying for within 1-2 years.

Interesting story. My brother in law has some coop students working for a company that run cable and such for `the providers`. They reason that they have a recession proof business. People will not give up high speed internet no matter what. So you gotta have power, water and high speed internet as necessities these days.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:15 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Here is another solution that I have been keeping my eye on:

BOXEE: the open, connected, social media center for windows, mac os x and linux

Boxee Blog » a Boxee Box is coming!

And then there is this:

Could this finally be the season for Web TV?

Quote:
Big TV manufacturers including Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic and Vizio say that they're poised to revolutionize television this Christmas shopping season: They're about to launch the first major marketing push for a new generation of sets that can easily integrate Web content with traditional TV news and entertainment – without the fuss of connecting the TV to a set-top box.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I saw this article in the NY Times. Clicker.com allows you to search for tv shows on the web. I tried it and its a good start. I knew where to find shows that I searched for, and found that it missed those sites. But if you don't have that knowledge about a particular show, it is a good search engine.
Clicker Aims to Be the Path to TV Online - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
It is sad, though I would have liked the show better if the lead had been almost any other Joss Whedon alum other than Eliza Dushku. Amy Acker and Summer Glau are much better actresses and would have been able to carry the show better. Hopefully the guy who played Victor will land somewhere good -- he is phenomenal.

Speaking of Firefly, the opening scene of the pre-Halloween episode of the show Castle was hilarious with Nathan Fillion dressing up as Mal, and lines like "didn't you wear that like five years ago?".

Gotta say that among my monthly expenses, the $100 for HD cable and DVR is probably one of the cheapest on a per-hour basis. We watch sports and DVR quite a number of shows.
I always thought Dollhouse was an opportunity for beautiful people who can't act to show off their "goods". Firefly was a better show, but even it had some significant flaws.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I saw this article in the NY Times. Clicker.com allows you to search for tv shows on the web....
Interesting. Works great! Now to figure out how to get the media from the PC to the TV.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #56

I really liked Firefly. And Farscape. Currently enjoying Eureka and the new Dr. Who. Good sci-fi there.

I just set up my Windows 7 Media Center PC, and their "internet TV" had season 1, 2 and 3 of the original Star Trek and Twilight Zone. Also Love Boat and a few others from the 80s.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #57

In the category of "TV shows that were cancelled too soon"... did anyone see "Threshold"? It's out on DVD including the episodes never shown on TV. I found it at the library (go figure). Check it out (all puns intended).
Old 11-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #58

Quote:
In the category of "TV shows that were cancelled too soon"... did anyone see "Threshold"? It's out on DVD including the episodes never shown on TV. I found it at the library (go figure). Check it out (all puns intended).
If you like short-lived shows, check out these classics (not canceled, just ran out of material from the original writer).

Cadfael
The Prisoner (1960s version)
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #59

Yeah, I watched Threshold. That was the one with the big underwater dino and the kid who gets one as a pet?
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #60

Regarding shows, recently got hooked on Dexter. I'm netflixing my way thru 'em, halfway thru season 3 now.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote